The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Crash... we didn't want to hear

Threehorn · 159 · 16242

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Threehorn, I'm studying to become a screenwriter, and the first thing you need to know: appearance is everything. You're script needs to be formatted correctly, or most producers won't even look at it. So before typing it up I recommend getting a program which automatically formats your script for you. FinalDraft is the norm for the industry, but costs a lot of money. I recommend Celtx, which a free program you can download off the Internet, it's what me and half the class uses. It can be downloaded here. If you need any help understanding the program (it's remarkbly easy once you get the hang of it) ask me here or via e-mail, I'll be happy to help. Turning in a professional-looking script greatly increases your chances of getting noticed and green-lighted.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've read that you need an agent.  One with hollywood connections or a hollywood agent.  Though I read that years back and it may not be very current information.  I do wish you good luck though.

rosie

• Chomper
    • View Profile

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Dang! I just now noticed this. Oh well...A franchise does not last forever. I agree with Petrie. The series has been milked with Digital Versatile Disks that can easily hold 2 or 3 movies in one disk. That is about as equivalent to 4 GBs. I wish they could've ended this with a better movie other than this "Happy-Go-Lucky" 13th movie...

If they do come back, how many people (other than you guys) are going to notice or even care? Littlefoot is no popular than ScoobyDoo quite honestly.

Rocky

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
They could merely be doing this to renew interest in the franchise.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Rocky,Aug 28 2010 on  12:07 AM
They could merely be doing this to renew interest in the franchise.
I've never heard of a company try to renew interest in a franchise by pulling the plug on it.

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Aug 27 2010 on  11:16 PM
I've never heard of a company try to renew interest in a franchise by pulling the plug on it.
Universal did this with Tremors. Tremors 4 came out in 2003, and fans were told that it would be the last, and now there's a 5th scheduled for anywhere from December 25, 2010 to Summer of 2011.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
^ This topic has also been in the depths of the GOF for two years....and since then we've had no OFFICIAL news of anything and the official website has gone offline.  This doesn't look like a resurgence of LBT to me.  They've already milked the cow to death and it already has been shot at the slaughterhouse.  I think the signs are clear they've done enough and plan to do no more.

I'll probably not be the only one to say this, but LBT went on far longer than I'm sure a lot of people thought it could.  How many theatrical films get thirteen films and a tv series made after the original is made?  There's a reason they don't....they get weaker and weaker the longer they try to keep the story going and alive.  Shrek 4 anyone???  :exactly

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: ScratteLover3,Aug 28 2010 on  07:37 AM
Universal did this with Tremors. Tremors 4 came out in 2003, and fans were told that it would be the last, and now there's a 5th scheduled for anywhere from December 25, 2010 to Summer of 2011.
That does not necessarily mean they planned on doing that. The most likely scenario, I think, is that they really did plan on Tremors 4 in 2003 being the last one, then changed their minds later on, perhaps due to whatever success Tremors 4 had.

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: Petrie,Aug 31 2010 on  07:54 AM
  How many theatrical films get thirteen films and a tv series made after the original is made?  There's a reason they don't....they get weaker and weaker the longer they try to keep the story going and alive.  Shrek 4 anyone???  :exactly
:exactly That is what they call "sequelitis".

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well as an example, even though technically it's not the same, look at the Predator franchise. The second movie came out in 1990, and then for 14 years nothing happened until Alien vs Predator (even though it wasn't that good). Not counting it, the first true sequel to Predator II is Predators, which came out 20 years after it. Another example would be Rocky Balboa. It came out in 2006, which is 16 years after Rocky V. Was it as successful? I don't know, but it at least sparked interest back into the franchise.

Then again, this is most likely not happening with LBT considering there are 13 movies in this franchise, but then again, it's not to say it hasn't been done before.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I do not see any likelihood of more land before time movies to be produced but indeed there have been cases in which pulling the plug did renew interest (or sometimes further increase existing interest) in a franchise.
Arthur Conan Doyle was kind of fed up with Sherlock Holmes and decided to kill him. However, he had done so in a way that allowed Doyle to resurrect Holmes a few years later upon extreme popular request. It may be doubted whether this was a marketing strategy (it seems that Doyle really was fed up with Holmes at the time), but the result was similar.
Perhaps a better example is Superman. Nothing rekindled the interest in the franchise at a time when it had run down pretty much as much as the news that he was going to die.
With regard to LBT however there was no big staged ending (that might have traumatized the younger fans) and few people outside the fancommunity (us that is) may even be aware of the closing of the office and many of them would think "it was high time!" upon receiving that news. Given the quality of the later sequels they may be right. I stated before that as far as I am concerned (and I think the same is true for many of you) there is another land before time which we built up for ourselves and that is not dependent on further releases. I think that in theory it would be possible to pick up the franchise again, but it would be extremely unlikely and (one must give that credit to the writers) it would be ever more difficult to come up with new stories.
In this context I think that some are a bit harsh on the TV series. No mistakes it had weaknesses and some episodes have been worse than other. But I think that the writers of the TV series did a better job than they are often given credit for. Most of the stories did make some sense and were relatively true to the movies. Of course they were stories to fill 25 minute episodes which would be easier to write than the 70 - 80 minute sequels. But I think in case of some of the later sequels they seemed artificially drawn out including minutes where nothing really important happened. In that case I prefer a short but good episode over a drawn out sequel. Personally I think that the TV series with all its weaknesses deserves more credit than we tend to give it... and I am rambling and getting of topic, so I better stop now ;)

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You know what? I'm ok with this now. Really, I am. We got 12 sequels to an original classic using some really memorable characters, some only used about once in the series. Not only did we get the movies, but we got a tv series. The world of LBT is so great that anyone could write a fanfic for it, and it still has unlimited possibilities. I think we as fans should be thankful that we have gotten this much. I wouldn't think of this as "pulling the plug" for LBT, just the end of the gang's "paid, canonical" adventures.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: oogaboo,Aug 31 2010 on  06:10 PM
And guess what the leading image of Sequelitis is on TV Tropes?

Adder

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://https://www.youtube.com/user/LadyBlueAOFW
Quote from: LettuceBacon&Tomato,Sep 1 2010 on  04:10 PM
Quote from: oogaboo,Aug 31 2010 on  06:10 PM
And guess what the leading image of Sequelitis is on TV Tropes?
It should be all the posters of this series

If something in Japan can reach 89 movies, why can't The Land Before Time go past that?

I've seen movies made in that country before, they're normally boring (Like... great. I forgot the name. I bought it, and only watched half. A waste of money. The creature in it was fake too.)

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
I haven't chimed in on this yet, so I'll speak my peace since I seem to have the time.

I've been lurking around unnoticed once in a while, and I was watching when wind of this first broke. To be honest, I wasn't surprised by this at all. When a year passed after LBT 13 with no word on anything else, I kind of figured this would happen. I didn't expect for them to have the willpower or talent to connect Chomper's return and Ruby's presence in the series with the movies. It was no surprise when I learned that Universal pulled the plug. The series plodded on with numerous sequels with no real forward direction. Some of them might be enjoyable to some of us fans who remember this series from our childhoods and like to hold on to that part of our pasts, but that doesn't generate enough money for Universial to justify continuing to spend money on this series. We might find enjoyment in these sequels, but being as how they're made mainly for the little ones, they're just not very palitable for the average movie conneseur. They figured it was time for them to move on to new and better things.... I also find it rather crass that they decided to stop on LBT 13.

Unless someone magically decides to reboot the series or pick up the pieces, this is the commercial end of The Land Before Time. No more movies or television episodes, and no novels, either. You'd be super lucky to find any new children's books. Is this the end of LBT as a whole? Absolutely not. While this is the end of commercial LBT for the time being, this is also a new begging, and this end by Universal isn't necessarily a bad thing, either. What am I referring to? Fanfiction, fanart, fanon--the imagination of the fans who fondly remember LBT. With no more constraints of sequel upon sequel, we're free to examine the finer details of the series with no worry of conflicting with official canon. We're free to explore what happened between LBT 13 and the series. How did Chomper get back to The Great Valley? We can now let our imaginations run amok and make speculation with what information the movies and series (official canon) do provide, and bridge our own gaps. It's not like we couldn't do this before, but now, there's nothing else in the way to hold us back or say, "No, there's no way Universal would write that in." No sequels or official canon. We can now also make our own LBT 14, LBT 15, etc. Get into the nitty-gritty between the lines. LBT now belongs to the fans. Not commercially speaking (we can't just up and use their characters and things to sell our own merchandise), but we will, for the most part, decide what direction the LBT fandom goes in.

It's time for the fans to pick up where Universal left off (if they haven't already done so). And yes, I know I'm terribly late on the bandwagon, but I've been wanting to say this for a long time, and now, I have the chance to do so.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
goiod to have you back Manny cav and iagree with your thoughts completeky..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

oogaboo

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Speaking of the office closing...does anybody know if they have an LBT office in the UK or know the whereabouts of the voice actors?