The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Marzgurl Discusses TLBT Movies

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Title, and I'm not all too thrilled about it.

The Land Before Time

The Land Before Time 2: The Great Valley Adventure

The Land Before Time 3: The Time of the Great Giving

The Land Before Time 4: Journey Through the Mists

The Land Before Time 5: The Mysterious Island

The Land Before Time 6: The Secret of Saurus Rock

She does a good job on the first movie, but from there, it just goes downhill in my book.

How much does she hate the sequels, you ask?  She can't even like "Kids Like Us" and considers 3 the worst so far.  Yeah, that much. -_-

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Well I knew she didn't like them based on the summary of the first video, so I never bothered watching that particular review series.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
thatguywiththeglasses people in general hate LBT, so there is no point in watching their videos as a fan.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Campion1,Mar 16 2011 on  08:37 AM
thatguywiththeglasses people in general hate LBT, so there is no point in watching their videos as a fan.
How do you know? Just because some of them don't like it doesn't mean it's a common thing among them. There's a lot of people on that site. It's hard to really gauge whether most of the site hates LBT or not based on the handful that did reviews.

I admit I was disappointed that Marzgurl is reviewing LBT and not just because she hates the series, but also because my brother and I were going to do the same thing. Review each of the movies that is. Not sure if we will do it now.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Nobody is obliged to listen to those opinions. But some may be able to understand and respect the opinions of others without having to give up their own opinions.
Do I understand why some people dislike LBT? Yes.
Do they sometimes come up with fair points? Yes.
Does that have to make me feel bad or abandon my personal like of LBT? No.

Edit: This above was just a general statement, I didn't actually watch the videos linked to in this thread.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Not the first, but the series. I should have correct that. I say that because most people pokeplayer linked had mostly negative views on the films. I just don't have the motivation to watch a video that bashes something I enjoy. (I also make my statement from having read a ton of comments on tgwtg about them)

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Outside of these forums, most people HATE the sequels with a passion.

I liked the collaborative reviews better. yes, they dumped on the series too, but at least they did it in a funny and entertaining way.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Whoops I made some mistakes in my post. Let me correct them.

Edit: I'm not really sure about that, vonboy. I'm not saying there's a lot of people who don't like LBT. I am saying it's really difficult to say if most of them hate LBT with a passion. The internet is a big place.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
You thought I was talking about every single person there? Well, I meant in general. A lot of videos I have seen (at least within the first 5 minutes) have said flat out that it "shouldn't have continued past the first." That isn't a hatred, but their (the video creator) clear overview of the series as a whole.

As far as videos being "funny and entertaining"... Well, I'm not much of a fan of most of the videos I see on that site. (Besides distressed watcher) But I guess thats going off topic.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Campion1,Mar 16 2011 on  09:35 AM
You thought I was talking about every single person there? Well, I meant in general. A lot of videos I have seen (at least within the first 5 minutes) have said flat out that it "shouldn't have continued past the first." That isn't a hatred, but their (the video creator) clear overview of the series as a whole.

Um, no I never said that. I thought you meant most people. When I think "in general", one word I usually associate it with is "most".

So no, I never said I thought you believed every single person on the site hated LBT. I was saying I thought you thought most people on the site hated LBT. They aren't quite the same statement.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
By "in general" I meant most people. Again, I say that off what I have learned and observed. Maybe I shouldn't have said "hated" but have a negative view on the series.

I hope you aren't touched even a little in anger.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
One thing that really got to me with her LBT 4 Review was that she called Ali a clone of Littlefoot.

Can I have the pleasure of telling everyone how wrong she is in that aspect?

Seriously, even with the closeness in color scheme, Ali is no clone of Littlefoot.

Allicloud

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/femoman
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Mar 16 2011 on  08:55 AM
Quote from: Campion1,Mar 16 2011 on  08:37 AM
How do you know? Just because some of them don't like it doesn't mean it's a common thing among them. There's a lot of people on that site. It's hard to really gauge whether most of the site hates LBT or not based on the handful that did reviews.

I admit I was disappointed that Marzgurl is reviewing LBT and not just because she hates the series, but also because my brother and I were going to do the same thing. Review each of the movies that is. Not sure if we will do it now.
Pretty much every video review of an LBT film on Thatguywithglasses completely riffs the series. Mostly because they grew up with the series, and they're trying to be Nostalgia Critic clones. They seem to think that because Nostalgia Critic pretty much always rips apart the films he reviews, they think they should do so too, while forgetting that NC does praise some movies, especially in his "top 11" vids.

And I've actually started a series of youtube reviews of each LBT film, and I've got the first one up so far. I plan to review each one I've seen (all except 13, which I never intend to soil my eyes with), then a vid listing my top LBT songs (probably top 15). If you want, I might just do a review thread on here instead, but I do have alot to say on each film, and not just praise, I do have negative points.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Mar 16 2011 on  11:07 AM
One thing that really got to me with her LBT 4 Review was that she called Ali a clone of Littlefoot.

Can I have the pleasure of telling everyone how wrong she is in that aspect?

Seriously, even with the closeness in color scheme, Ali is no clone of Littlefoot.
Actually I do agree with Marzgurl that Ali does look like a Littlefoot clone. The characters do resemble each other with the only big difference (physically) is their coloration. The same thing is true for Ducky's siblings and Petrie's siblings. Littlefoot's own grandparents look almost identical save for the coloration.

It's common in LBT for members of the same species to look exactly like one another except for coloration differences, or sometimes even exact copies of one another (like the egg stealer group in LBT4). I'm pretty sure it's common in most media as well.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Oh, goody, more senseless sequel bashing! Gee, haven't seen THAT before...

Yeah, everyone is entitled to an opinion, but there's a difference between having an opinion and childishly bashing something. You don't like the sequels, fine, but why would you continue to watch them all the way up to the SIXTH installment? So you can rant about how bad they are? Yeah, that makes absolutely perfect sense... She could have said, after the 2nd or 3rd movie reviews "That's it! I'm done, I can't take any more!" But no, instead she's continuing to watch something she clearly won't like just to do what many others before her have done. Makes me think she's either A) Secretly a fan of the sequels but is  voicing the popular opinion instead of her own. Or B) She's just a glutton for punishment.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I watched the review of the sixth movie and I intend to watch the other reviews in the days to come.
Seriously guys, I don't see any need for anyone to get all angry or worked up about the fact that some people don't like LBT and say so or even if sometimes some criticism may be found to be unfair. That doesn't need to affect how you think about the land before time, so what are you worried about?
Having watched the review on LBT 6 I think it is saying too much if the review was discarded simply as "bashing" (if we define "bashing" as unfair slander without any basis or purpose). There are points of course which would be seen different from an LBT fan or simply by anyone who watched it more carefully (e.g. she failed to realize that the movie never specifies whether or not Doc actually is the lone dinosaur but simply presumes so and she also ignores that the failure to mention the dried up watering hole again is not as much of a failure as she claims it to be (since it is clearly specified in the movie that it is just one out of many watering holes in the Great Valley so there isn't any shortage of water or anything)). However, she does point out some stuff too that is worth to be pointed out (and sometimes has been pointed out by ourselves). The uncertain origin of Dinah and Dana, the lack of much that would be intimidating about the sharpteeth in the movie, the odd feeling of having a western like song in LBT... all these are points which have been discussed in the GOF before, so why would it bother any of us if someone who is not a fan of LBT and therefore just strikes a harscher tone would point it out too? Really guys, relax.
I think she even pointed some stuff out that might provide stuff for discussions. For example I don't think we ever mentioned that "tooth" that so conveniently showed up at the end of LBT 6 in any discussion before. Was it supposed to have been a tooth petriefied within that rock pillar which Doc and Littlefoot's grandpa used to execute the unconscious sharpteeth accompanied by the cheers of the kids (something that I have always criticized about LBT 6)? I think that while we may not agree with her reviews I still think that she may give us some interesting suggestions for discussions and I think it would be a waste of food for thought if we simply discarded anything she says because we may not agree.

Animeboye

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://animeboye.deviantart.com/
Look, I don't mind that she doesn't like the sequels. That's fine. A friend of mine from high school who grew up with the first LBT didn't like the sequels but I respected his opinion on them. I just don't understand the logic in continuing to watch a movie series you're clearly not going to like. I could understand watching up to the second one, maybe the third or fourth one but by the time you get up to number SIX, you should have a pretty good idea if you like the series or not. After I saw the third Shrek movie, I no longer cared about the franchise. I thought it had gotten really stale and boring so why would I watch the fourth movie and the upcoming Puss in Boots spinoff when there's a very good chance I won't like them? So I can whine about how bad they are? Where's the sense in that?

The sequels aren't perfect and a lot of them are pretty bad. My problem is that people judge these movies too harshly. They judge the sequels as a whole, not as separate entries. LBT 2 wasn't too bad, neither were LBTs 5 and 7. LBT 10 was a decent flick, not the best sequel but one of the better ones.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Well, she is doing this for pay, Animeboye. She's probably going to watch them all.

EDIT: This did give me a good idea, though. Alright, so it's popular for people to gnerally hate on LBT sequels, right? Well, I have a blog. I could write up reviews for the whole series, a lot of which would be very positive.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf