The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

GOF's Games of the Year 2011

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey gamers!

With 2011 coming to a close, round about now all the game critics and reviewers are all thinking about the fabled GOTY award. Figured I'd offer the chance for us here to voice our thoughts and views on our fav games of this year because we have seen some greats. As always, normal forum rulings and specific rules for the Gamers Zone apply (i.e. no trolling, flaming, attacking other people's opinions etc.) but feel free to say what YOUR personal GOTY titles are. There's no real structure to this so you can categorise they by platform or by genre and offer a few "why" lines if you like but they must be games released this year. Leave the reminiscing of previous titles for other topics :p

Have fun! ;)

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
One game I really enjoyed playing with my friends and brothers is LEGO Pirates of the Caribean :D Does that count? :P:

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
My vote for best survival horror would probably go for Dead Space 2. I loved the first one, and I was worried that by giving the main character a voice and a more assertive attitude, they'd turn him into a generic action hero and ruin the atmosphere. But I think they preserved him perfectly, the story was amazing and there were still enough moments to make me jump out of my seat.

Gears of War 3 would be my favourite shooter. The conclusion to the story wasn't amazing, but the multiplayer more than makes up for it with all the different game modes to choose from.  Also, Carmine survived this time around, which bumps it up a notch or two in my book  :D

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Really, my game of the year is Minecraft. It's the game I've played the most of this year, and I see myself playing it a lot more with all the mods that are being made for it.
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, need I say more.

Littlefoot Fan

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I second Minecraft. It's all I ever play now. No other games can really hold my interest anymore. Once I acquired the unbounded freedom and limitless possibilities of Minecraft, I could never really go back to any other games where the gameplay is more linear and controlled. And that applied to just about every other game out there.

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Littlefoot Fan,Dec 25 2011 on  08:32 PM
I second Minecraft. It's all I ever play now. No other games can really hold my interest anymore. Once I acquired the unbounded freedom and limitless possibilities of Minecraft, I could never really go back to any other games where the gameplay is more linear and controlled. And that applied to just about every other game out there.
True, Minecraft is awesome.

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I agree that there has been many great games that came out this year. But my vote on GOTY has got to go to Batman: Arkham City.

The sequel to the surprise hit of 2009 has taken everything the first game had and made them even better than ever. The story, gameplay, amount of content, things to do; Rocksteady really outdid themselves. There's even subtle hints that there will be a third game in the Arkham storyline...

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Portal 2 for me. It was hilarious just like the first game was, and had a lot of neat twists.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Almost wishing I hadn't asked this question now coz I honestly find it difficult to pick just one or two out of all the greats that have been released this year.

I think, my PS3 GOTY has to go to Skyrim. I've never really followed the Elder Scrolls saga but there is just so much to see and do with this game that it'll be the only game I clock up more hours on that Resi 5 (I jumped online to help other players out and racked up nearly 220 hours for a campaign that's about 6 hours long :lol). The game is expansive, you have total free play of how to tackle the game and the content is huge. The leveling system is brilliantly intuitive and grants multiple ways to up your character simultaneously rather than just picking a stat to do up every time. And with the constant threat of an unprovoked dragon attack at any given moment when you are free roaming, you're always on edge. Granted there are bugs, glitches and issues particularly with the PS3 version but they don't usually distract from the epic adventure you are granted.

For Wii, my GOTY has to go to Skyward Sword. (What's with all the games linked to the sky lately?) Having played through, part of the storyline, I have to say that the artistic style of the game is great (a clash of Twilight Princess's "realism" and Wind Waker's cel-shading). The WiiMotion Plus does add to the experience and it does make sword fighting more of a tactical affair than just Wiimote waggling, but there are times when fighting even standard enemies becomes a chore and it makes you wonder what frustrations future enemies will hold for you. Still, the core of Zelda remains true to it's formula with some nice new additions and with more content and extras to do upon completion (so I've heard), it's a great title to celebrate Zelda's 25th Birthday. Oh, and the bonus CD of Zelda music with the game is awesome too. ;)

Other games worthy of note (basically I'd feel bad to NOT mention them):

Dead Space 2
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Portal 2
Rayman Origins
Battlefield 3
Modern Warfare 3 (no really. I'm serious :p)
Batman: Arkham City
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Super Mario Land 3D
Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D
Mario Kart 7
Infinity Blade 2

Plus others...can't think of them right now. :D

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Other games I thought were excellent were:
L.A. Noire
Halo: Anniversary
Battlefield 3
Assassins Creed Revelations
Mortal Kombat 9
Portal 2

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Minecraft and Skyrim get my votes!
That and maybe MW3....

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dozyslumbers
I have no other games for this year rather than Minecraft. Minecraft was really awesome, I have been addicted to it ever since I got the game from LittlefootFan... Sadly, I cannot continue my multiplayer experience UNLESS I have a paid account. Despite that fact, the single player is still awesome, I've had fun building things and discovering new things, not to mention I don't have that much skills in using redstones or pistons. :p

Why did I choose this game as my game of the year?
Simple, it is awesome and addicting. :lol

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
There were so many great games released in 2011. I can't really pick a whole list of them, because they were all fantastic. One game I really enjoyed is Catherine. It has to be one of the most unique games I have ever played. The story is gripping and the gameplay is addicting and challenging. Definitely a recommend to anybody that hasn't played it.