The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Eragon

StarfallRaptor

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What do you all think about the Eragon series by Chrsitopher Paolini?

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
It was an okay read. Everyone bitches about how Paolini "stole" things from other authors, but really, William Shakespear did the exact same thing centuries ago and was even more blatant about it than Paolini, yet I never hear any complaints about him. (That was no insult to Shakespear, his writing is still great.)

Anyway, back to Eragon. Paolini shows a lot of potential in his writing, but he's not up to the level of brilliance by any means.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It had a huge amount of potential with the first book, but the second book kind of destroyed some of it. It still has some potential, but it would take a brilliant writer to make the most of it.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I liked the first book, didn't even finish the second book.  I"ll not touch it if there is a third one.

Stitch

• Ducky
    • View Profile
There is actually going to be both a third book (next fall), and a fourth book.  According to what I've heard, the manuscript for book 3 got so big that Paolini decided to do it in to 2 volumes.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The first was great, the second less so. Paloini is a gifted writer, but his hero seems less and less human the longer the story goes. He's become a quasi-deity, with powers far beyond the scopes of just about any creature, save for Galbortiriz, murtagh, and the Elves. While I will likely read the third one, I'm not expecting briliance..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I feel that he created a great idea, just like Tolkein, but unlike Tolkein, he let it go to waste. And, as Nick said, he does become less human. But that seems to tie in somewhat with the story. A lot of loose ties are hanging that need to be fixed for the last book.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Tolkien spent decades on his creation, imagining and reimagining , ever expanding his fantasy world. Paolini is a gifted yet still immature writer,  abd I don't know if he understands that his hero has to be identifiable by the casual reader, with giving Eragon so much power, it becomes harder and harder to identify with him. Good story writers can give thier characters great power, but the best can temper that power with having the character know how and when to use it..or not use it..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
People have no problem identifying with Super-Man. You know, not every hero out there has to be some anguished anti-hero who does things for the wrong reasons. I don't mind having a competent, powerful hero who does what's right because its right. I like having good heroes.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I didn't like the book too much and I liked the movie even less.  The movie is never as good as the book no matter what they say.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
People!
If you want to discuss the Inheritance Cycle, come to my newly created forum,
Alagaesia At Peace

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
WR, good point on Superman, while we're on the subject of Superman.. i have a question that has always bugged. If Superman is an ordinary mortal under the influence of a REd Star, and  a demigod under the influence under  the influence of a yellow Star, what would happenm under the influence of a Blue Star? Apparentrly his powers increase as the star influncing inxcreases in brightness and heat.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: