The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Chronicles of Narnia.

Saft · 15 · 2358

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I shall write more about this topic later on but, what is your opinion about the books?  Is their a particular book that is your favourite?  What was your opinion of the movie version(s) of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe and Prince Caspian.  Did you feel that they were a justly adaption to the books?  

For myself, I will answer in short but will add detail later on during the week (or atleast try too).  I actually prefer the books, they are one of the timeless classics that are rememorable and have good morals and values.  Suprisngly I actually like The Magician's Nephew (the first book of the chronicles) in which the land of Narnia is created.  Will add on that more later.

The movie versions aren't just adaptions, in fact I wish (dearly) that they either had never been made or that someone who actually was prepared to give the movies a good adaption as they had done for The Lord of the rings....speaking of the Lord of the rings which in advertly brings us to Tolkien (did you know that Tolkien and Lewis were friends?  Professors actually, who seperated or grew distant in later life but each of them helped the other in writing their novels?)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Lewis and Tolkien remained friends.. and frankly the films were knockoffs of Lord of the Rings. When you have a enermously sucessful movie film franchise, everyone tries to copy that formula. Narnia, and Eregon are just two films in the same vein..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I've read all the books, but not since the 70's.  The only adapted versions I've seen is the cartoon version of The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe I watched in the 70's (of which you can see a fan made trailer on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip067haCiS0)  and the bbc versions of the first 4 books.  The lion, the witch and the wardrobe, prince caspian, voyage of the dawn treader and the silver chair.  Prince caspian was only about an hour long.  

I liked the first 2 books best, the 3rd less so then the first 2, the 4th less then the 3rd, and so on, liking the next book less then the previous.

Could be an interesting rp.  overall a world where there are not many wizards flinging spells everywhere.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
there aren't wizards in Narnia, although there is a messanic figure in Aslan. Lewis religion seeps a lot into his work than Tolkien's although Tolkien does have a god figure and angelic beings..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Though tolkein denied that that was intentional I read.  I read that Lewis put it in on purpose.

The only wizard type I can think of, and I've not read the book or seen the bbc version for a while, is in the Voyage of the Dawn Treader, I think they come across a wizard type is a servant of Alsan, and was a former star who is ruling over some dwarves at Aslan's request, some 1 footed dwarves I think.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Toklein's  was more anecdotal, Lewis' more literal. I sometimes wonder if you could have a world where the characters from Narnia and Middle Earth could interact...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I don't see why not.  If Aslan let them in, or if some where brought to Narnia why not.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm pretty sure that has been tried at some point, somewher.. although I'm not sure how compatible the two worlds are..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Not to much maybe, though neither one has folks flinging spells everywhere.  Even the wizards don't usually fling spells around very often, unlke in rpg's.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
but firing spells around in roleplays is half the fun :p  Seriously, through I do see your point. I can just picture Aslan talking while Gandalf is sitting nearby, listening,smoking a pipe and turning the smoke rings different colors :)
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
That would make a neat picture.  Maybe the new Narnia they chars go to at the end of the 7th book may be near Aman and Valinor.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
The  new Narnia was quite clearly heaven as Lucy, Peter, and the others were killed in the real world, in a car accident ...once again Lewis being literal.. but yeah, they new Narnia could be located near valinor..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It could be.  So what you described could happen.  :)

I've read some speculate that the older sister may show up in new narnia later, and others say she never will.  I'm not sure myself.  I don't know if Lewis commented himself on that.

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Hmmm, that could be a thing to do?  Create a Lord of the rings crossover with Narnian role play...be interesting to read?

Yes, I agree with what you said Nick about Tolkien being more anecdotl and Lewis being literal.  Lewis also tended to put (quite heavily) christianity links in (Aslan being one of the major examples) along with heaven as Narnia....compared to Tolkien...

And Good and Evil are as prominant though in all basic story line aspects plays a larger role in both Tolkien's and Lewis's works...

Quote from: Nick on  
I can just picture Aslan talking while Gandalf is sitting nearby, listening,smoking a pipe and turning the smoke rings different colors .

Yes, I can too.  Talking away about their adventures, sacrifices, beliefs etc....although I can't really picture Asland to be smoking a pipe...after all, how would he be able to hold it when he's a lion?:)

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe someone can hold it for him, or he can use one of those hoopak (however you spell those things) maybe.