The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Flathead770's Fanart

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone.

This is a pretty awesome drawing with a nice idea and really cool feeling! The shading works really well and the original sharptooth looks great and mean! Red Claw's expression is a bit strange but otherwise there's not much I can point out. This is a truly great drawing and it's awesome that you do these pictures as birthday presents! Thank you for that!
With this being the second time I've drawn Sharptooth I wanted to make sure he had a more intimidating look since that was the major criticism of the first drawing so it's great to hear that is the case this time around.

For Red Claw's expression I honestly wasn't too sure what to do. I two things I wanted was for his eyes to be closed with his tongue sticking out to indicate he's dead. Other than that I was kinda just guessing. It's good to know. Next time I'll try to take more time looking at different Red Claw scenes (or even any generic sharptooth) to maybe get a better feel of how the head looks.

As for the topic of birthday presents, I figured that I can't just do it for one person and leave others high and dry. It's also gotten me to draw things I wouldn't have thought of normally so it's been a lot of fun so far.

I'm no expert on Sharpteeth, and certainly not on whether something is anatomically correct or not but... nothing looking off there as far as I can tell
Good to know and it's all good. When directly drawing something from reference it's a lot easier to catch mistakes. With this it feels a lot more subjective so I'm just curious if anyone had any thoughts on the matter.

They look somewhat similar to each other.
Yea it's kinda hard to differentiate the two. Even though their bodies are similar, Sharptooth has more unique expressions then other generic sharpteeth to help him stand out and Red Claw has his noticeable scar. I made sure Red Claw's scar side would be facing up early one to help signify who he is. I also made sure to have Sharptooth a darker shade than Red Claw since he's a darker color though I could have probably made it darker. Nevertheless this is something to take note of.

Excellent work on the drawing. The shading on the drawing is done very well and it truly captures the ferociousness of the original Sharptooth in the drawing.
Thanks rhombus. Like I said with my reply to Sovereign, I'm glad that I managed to get his expression right.

That looks gorgeous, really nice drawing
Thank you zero-point.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
To start I just want to say thank you to everyone who voted for me this year for the fanart award. It's hard to imagine that the beginning of the year I never considered drawing again let alone coming back to the GoF. When I came back I wasn't too optimistic on how long I'll stay active given how last time went. It's been just a little over 4 months since I've returned and so far I'm a lot more optimistic then I was. I had the goal of reaching 1 year and I'm pretty confident that I'll reach that milestone. :smile

On to the picture on hand:

Shorty drawn for Darkwolf's birthday on September 26.

Hmm, this picture is looking a little bit larger then usual. This is the first time I'm not using photobucket since it's only a matter of time my account kicks the bucket. I guess this one doesn't lower the resolution as much as photobucket.

I tried to give his tail some sort of blur effect since he's swinging it though I'm not entirely sold on how it turned out.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 07:36:13 PM by Flathead770 »

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It's great to hear that you're having a good time here! :) Your drawings are really impressive, especially if you started again only this year and you truly deserved that award. I'm happy to hear that you're planning to stick with us for a long time as your presence here has been en extremely positive and nice thing this year, with your art and the contributions you've done to the different threads around the forum! :DD

As for the drawing, it looks absolutely great! The perspective is a great one and makes a good overall feeling into this picture, along with the sense of mobility you did with the tail. Also, Shorty's expression looks really good as does the smooth coloring! The only thing I can point out is that the feet  look to be in rather odd positions but otherwise, marvelous job with this one! :yes

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yay, Shorty!  :lol

That's a nice drawing there, anatomy seems pretty solid and the colouring is accurate as well :yes What pencils are you using if you don't mind me asking? :)
Inactive, probably forever.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It's great to hear that you're having a good time here! Your drawings are really impressive, especially if you started again only this year and you truly deserved that award. I'm happy to hear that you're planning to stick with us for a long time as your presence here has been en extremely positive and nice thing this year, with your art and the contributions you've done to the different threads around the forum!

Thanks man. That means a lot.

As for the drawing, it looks absolutely great! The perspective is a great one and makes a good overall feeling into this picture, along with the sense of mobility you did with the tail. Also, Shorty's expression looks really good as does the smooth coloring! The only thing I can point out is that the feet look to be in rather odd positions but otherwise, marvelous job with this one!
His left hind leg's foot is on it's side since he is quickly transferring his weight from his left to his right and he is supposed to be on the ball of his right hind leg. At least that was the intention and the image was actually taken from LBT10, when Shorty was throwing rocks at the sharptooth. As always though it's good to see what people notice for future reference.

That's a nice drawing there, anatomy seems pretty solid and the colouring is accurate as well. What pencils are you using if you don't mind me asking?
The box says RoseArt. It's a 72 colour set that I bought at the dollar store for $4 (I started cheap in case I wasn't going to like colouring). From there a made a colour palette on a sheet of paper of each color with their position in the box so I can compare the colours to an image and track them easier.

I bought a blending pencil to see if I could blend colours together but it doesn't seem to work very well with these. Down the road I might try and buy some more expensive ones.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Again, this picture looks really great! Thanks so much for drawing it!

And welcome back! So glad you're having a good time here. It's always great to see new people pick up drawing :smile

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Again, this picture looks really great! Thanks so much for drawing it!

And welcome back! So glad you're having a good time here. It's always great to see new people pick up drawing
Glad you liked it and thank you!

Well it's about time I got around to posting these. It's a double feature today with Dalekdino and Ducky123's birthday being back to back. References were used for both of them.

Cera, posted Oct 15 for Dalekdino's birthaday.

I made sure to have a happy expression on Cera this time around, since my last couple have generally either been mad or scared. Since time was an issue with these two I picked the first scene that came in my head, namely just after Cera rescue's Tricia in 12. Cera's head seems to giving me less trouble now, which is nice. A small nitpick of mine would be that some of the lines around the one eye look a little angular.

Ducky, posted Oct 16 for Ducky123's birthday.

This one is missing the text that was present the first time around. Ducky's pose was taken from the talking big song in the first episode, where she is pointing to Saurus Rock. I had this scene in mind as soon as I started thinking about drawing Ducky for Ducky123's birthday. Originally I was thinking of doing something along the lines of having Ducky holding a piece of cake but decided just to have her point at some text. Now I don't know if it's just me but I find that Ducky's left eye seems off, like she is cross-eyed or something.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:13:33 PM by Flathead770 »

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
Finaly you posted them there.
Though Cera looks a bit... compressed in length/width while being ok in height. (lul wat am I talking) Or just her head intersects with body and body is a bit pressed in length.
But I like it, and like ducky a bit dramatic pose. :D
6/14
0/26

--------------------------

ask me thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15601
my personal thread: http://www.gangoffive.net/index.php?topic=15412

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
These are some really drawings! Both of them are colored well and it seems like you're getting really better at drawing these characters! Cera's expression is rather adorable and the anatomy works well but i agree with Snik here... she looks somewhat short here (I don't know if it's the body or the upper face that makes the impression though... :unsure: ) but otherwise, it's a really good drawing!

As for the Ducky drawing, it's even better in my opinion! Her face looks believable and the pose is a good rendition of the scene. Actually, I didn't notice your nitpick at first but now that you mentioned it, the eye indeed looks a bit weird. Also, is her tail a tiny bit too thin? Still, they are just minor  problems.  These drawings are otherwise really impressive! You've improved a lot in the past months! :yes

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
How did I miss this so far!?  :bang

First of all, thanks so much for the starday drawing  :)littlefoot

Now I guess I might as well leave some advice I guess!

Cera: Cera looks great, almost a bit cute :lol However, something with her face seems just slightly off. Can't say exactly what since I'm also not that great with dinosaur anatomy and all that but, if I were to guess, her face seems just slightly too thin (though don't take my word on it :p)

Ducky: You picked a great pose there :lol It's really very well visible though that you referenced a pose from the tv-series  :spit

I think her neck seems a little long (though we have seen Ducky's renditions of being a longneck more than just once throughout the franchise  ^^spike ).

Her face definitely isn't perfect but it's still good-looking I'd say :lol Particularly the area around her beak looks a little off I think.

The rest are just slight nitpicks I noticed (because I draw Ducky so often :DD)

The area around her chest is a bit too thin :)

I think the lower part of her tail bulges a bit more where it connects to the main body though generally the tails looks awesome!

Ducky is usually drawn with these lines/rings around her arms. You forgot them (or intentionally left them out?) for the right arm, however this doesn't look wrong at all here :lol Maybe draw a short curved line going downwards from her arm ;)

...and yes, Ducky is cross-eyed  :spit

Now don't mind my nitpicks, I'm just happy I actually see that something's off for a change (as I'm usually rather on the receiving ends of those  :angel ) Wonderful artworks! (and I'm already waiting to review your next drawing ;))

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanks everyone.

Finaly you posted them there.
Though Cera looks a bit... compressed in length/width while being ok in height. (lul wat am I talking) Or just her head intersects with body and body is a bit pressed in length.
But I like it, and like ducky a bit dramatic pose.
So do you mean her length from head to tail is too short? She is supposed to be looking towards the front of the page slightly, which would make her appear not as long as if it was a direct side shot.

These are some really drawings! Both of them are colored well and it seems like you're getting really better at drawing these characters! Cera's expression is rather adorable and the anatomy works well but i agree with Snik here... she looks somewhat short here (I don't know if it's the body or the upper face that makes the impression though... ) but otherwise, it's a really good drawing!
:! Oh no you think so too?  :lol This is interesting. I'm sure this is some sort of issue resulting with the chosen perspective so it'll be something to work on.  Thanks for the input both of you.

As for the Ducky drawing, it's even better in my opinion! Her face looks believable and the pose is a good rendition of the scene. Actually, I didn't notice your nitpick at first but now that you mentioned it, the eye indeed looks a bit weird. Also, is her tail a tiny bit too thin? Still, they are just minor problems. These drawings are otherwise really impressive! You've improved a lot in the past months!
I like this one better of the two as well. I couldn't get her one eye right. I drew it similarly the first time and noticed it was off then spent a lot of time trying to improve it but they all ended up looking worse. I finally gave up and redrew it like it is now. As for the tail it could be a little thin. Looking at it now the bottom part of the base of the tail maybe could've probably been lowered a bit.

Cera: Cera looks great, almost a bit cute dino_laugh.gif However, something with her face seems just slightly off. Can't say exactly what since I'm also not that great with dinosaur anatomy and all that but, if I were to guess, her face seems just slightly too thin (though don't take my word on it dino_tongue.gif)
Yea there is always something going on with Cera's head that looks off. If I get it looking pretty good then I just leave it otherwise I would probably never finish her face :lol

Ducky: You picked a great pose there dino_laugh.gif It's really very well visible though that you referenced a pose from the tv-series
Well I'm glad it turned out that way. I was curious if you were going to have extensive feedback and you didn't disappoint! :DD

I think her neck seems a little long (though we have seen Ducky's renditions of being a longneck more than just once throughout the franchise).

Her face definitely isn't perfect but it's still good-looking I'd say dino_laugh.gif Particularly the area around her beak looks a little off I think.

The rest are just slight nitpicks I noticed (because I draw Ducky so often dino_happier.gif)

The area around her chest is a bit too thin smile.gif

I think the lower part of her tail bulges a bit more where it connects to the main body though generally the tails looks awesome!
All good points

Ducky is usually drawn with these lines/rings around her arms. You forgot them (or intentionally left them out?) for the right arm, however this doesn't look wrong at all here dino_laugh.gif Maybe draw a short curved line going downwards from her arm
... :neutral ... Yep, definitely forgot about that :lol

Now don't mind my nitpicks, I'm just happy I actually see that something's off for a change (as I'm usually rather on the receiving ends of those dino_angel.gif )
Well I suppose it's only fair you get me back after what felt like me ripping into your inktober artwork :lol Honestly though I do appreciate the feedback and you don't have to worry about nitpicking since I'm constantly nitpicking my own artwork all the time.

Wonderful artworks! (and I'm already waiting to review your next drawing wink.gif)
I think this is a good point to segue to the next drawing.

Horned Sharptooth drawn for Hypnobrai's birthday, Oct 25.

I never gave this sharptooth much thought when I first saw 14 but after Hypnobrai talking about him a lot and deciding to draw him I must admit that he looks pretty darn cool. I'm surprised that I'm finding so many of my drawings end up being sharpteeth. With this I feel like I now have a good chunk of Hypnobrai's possible requests that he never ended up asking crossed off the list  :p.

This also ends what I have planned so far for birthday drawings as I think I got most of the active people on the GoF. If I had known before I started planning this out that almost everyones birthday fell within just under 3 months (especially October) I might have reconsidered but I managed in the end. With games like Mario Odyssey releasing today in North America and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 and others coming out soon there's a good chance video games are going to suck more free time out of me than recently so there's a good chance that I won't be posting as much drawings for the next while.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:13:50 PM by Flathead770 »

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Super cool! He has a really nice expression and I particularly love the pose you've drawn him in! Let me know if you'd like to hear some critiques for it (I generally don't critique without asking/being asked to do so).

Ah man, I wish I still had time to play video games. Mario Odyssey looks really fun! I had a blast with Galaxy and 3D world, I'm bummed to miss out on this one. Hope you enjoy all the gaming :smile

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
finally, it's posted here so I can finally say: I like it!
Though I know his arms are small, here they are super tiny so he looks a bit funny.  :unsure:
Everything else is great!
6/14
0/26

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Once again, I agree with Snik. This picture is really well-done and especially the face, legs and tail look really cool! But the arms look far too small even to this sharptooth and they look even comically undersized. On the positive side (there are far more pluses here) the perspective with the tail and the feet looks good as does the overall shading. Your last drawings have all been great and I hope your pause won't be too long! :)

Sneak

• Guiding lights
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Welcoming darkness
    • View Profile
    • Submachine series
it's osted here s I can finally day: I like it!
dammit, it is getting worse and worse... гг *fixes post*

huh, I checked original horned sharptooth pictures, and his arms are really supposed to be small, but... just, yeah, on this drawings you notices weird arms  in the very first seconds. Can't explain in other way.  :lol  But that's ok! ;)
6/14
0/26

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Super cool! He has a really nice expression and I particularly love the pose you've drawn him in! Let me know if you'd like to hear some critiques for it (I generally don't critique without asking/being asked to do so).
Oh I forgot to mention his pose. Is was hard to get one of him as there are very few good full body shots of him. The 2 choices that I narrowed down were the one the Hypnobrai used for his avatar and the one you see here, right after he lands from his leap. I thought this was a cool pose too and it also looks like he is getting ready to leap.

And yes I would love to here any critiques you may have!

Ah man, I wish I still had time to play video games. Mario Odyssey looks really fun! I had a blast with Galaxy and 3D world, I'm bummed to miss out on this one. Hope you enjoy all the gaming
Galaxy and 3D world were great. Odyssey is pretty fun so far. From what I've potentially been spoiled with Youtube thumbnails, I guess there are 999 power moons to collect, which is just...crazy.  :wow

huh, I checked oriignal horned sharptooth pictures, and his arms are really supposed to be small, but... just, yeah, on this drawings you notices weird arms in the very first seconds. Can't explain in other way.
Yea his arms are pretty small. His arm socket is also drawn differently from any sharptooth that I can recall.

Once again, I agree with Snik. This picture is really well-done and especially the face, legs and tail look really cool! But the arms look far too small even to this sharptooth and they look even comically undersized. On the positive side (there are far more pluses here) the perspective with the tail and the feet looks good as does the overall shading. Your last drawings have all been great and I hope your pause won't be too long!
Thank you :DD

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
For the critiques:
It's hard to draw in perspective, and I think you've done a pretty good job with the front leg, but the knee looks a little bit flat, and I think overlapping some shapes might help with that (if you look at the screenshot again, you'll see that they used a bit more consistent overlap with the shapes of the leg).

As for the arms, I think your problem is that you've made that first joint (shoulder thing?) a bit too pronounced, and the portion of the arm after it a bit too long in comparison. The problem with drawing solely from animation screenshots (though it is good practice) is that individual frames of animation don't have to look good on their own in order to produce a good looking motion. Animators often break or stretch joints in single frames in order to make for a smoother sequence, and I think that's probably what's happened in the reference you used.

My last comment is on the feet. He doesn't really look like he has much weight here (again, probably a flaw from the ref used). Perhaps it would help to put a bit of a stronger angle and a few more tension lines between the foot/toe connections and the knee joints, and "flatten" the toes against the surface he's standing on just a bit.

Hope that helped some :smile

Galaxy and 3D world were great. Odyssey is pretty fun so far. From what I've potentially been spoiled with Youtube thumbnails, I guess there are 999 power moons to collect, which is just...crazy.  :wow

Isn't that about how many Korok seeds were in Breath of the Wild? Nintendo is really stepping up their collection game :lol

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Not an expert on Sharpteeth :p I can't really spot any "rough" slip-ups at least :lol

Well done again! :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For the critiques:
It's hard to draw in perspective, and I think you've done a pretty good job with the front leg, but the knee looks a little bit flat, and I think overlapping some shapes might help with that (if you look at the screenshot again, you'll see that they used a bit more consistent overlap with the shapes of the leg).

As for the arms, I think your problem is that you've made that first joint (shoulder thing?) a bit too pronounced, and the portion of the arm after it a bit too long in comparison. The problem with drawing solely from animation screenshots (though it is good practice) is that individual frames of animation don't have to look good on their own in order to produce a good looking motion. Animators often break or stretch joints in single frames in order to make for a smoother sequence, and I think that's probably what's happened in the reference you used.

My last comment is on the feet. He doesn't really look like he has much weight here (again, probably a flaw from the ref used). Perhaps it would help to put a bit of a stronger angle and a few more tension lines between the foot/toe connections and the knee joints, and "flatten" the toes against the surface he's standing on just a bit.

Hope that helped some Dino_grins.gif

Thanks Darkwolf for the great feedback! You know, now that you mention animation frames not having to look as good, I feel like I kinda knew about that in general but it has never occurred to me when I'm actually drawing. As for the feet, the reference used actually had rocks and dust surrounding a good chunk of it so I kinda improvised a little. Everything you said about giving him more weight makes complete sense so that's good to know for the future!

Isn't that about how many Korok seeds were in Breath of the Wild? Nintendo is really stepping up their collection game
Yea there were 900 in BotW. I've managed to get up to around 720 as I look around for the remaining Stone Talus but I've stopped actively looking for them.

Not an expert on Sharpteeth dino_tongue.gif I can't really spot any "rough" slip-ups at least dino_laugh.gif

Well done again!
Thank you Ducky!

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
After weeks of slowly working off and on, I've finished my entry for the fanart prompt: Draw something winter themed

I went with a snowball fight with the whole gang and I feel it is a nice way to end off 2017 for me. I've wanted to do a whole gang drawing for a while now and a winter background is the perfect opportunity to do so (snow really cuts down on the amount of colouring required :p ). A snowball fight also had the potential of a lot of more unique poses that I could practice with.

While the teams make sense within the context of the show, when planning it also ended up being team "characters I'm comfortable drawing" vs "ones that I am not". In the end however I tried to use as little amount of references as possible. I used ones to make sure I was drawing Petrie and Ruby's face correctly. Had to use one to draw Ducky's face because I can't draw her face. Tried to find a good one of Spike with his head in the ground but gave up and just did whatever. Surprisingly didn't use any for Cera (though she is far enough away/small that mistakes are more forgiving).

Like always, I'm happy to hear any feedback.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 10:12:45 PM by Flathead770 »