The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Anything "What If" Game

Chomper4

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll start.

What if Sephiroth in his human form was the main bad guy in The Great Mouse Detective?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Can You Love Me Despite The Cracks?
    • View Profile
It would be out of place. :p

What if they found a way to smell through the computer, like if you were speaking with someone through a chat you could smell whatever what's in their environment.

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
That...would be awesome!

What if a real-life Toon World (or something like it) was created?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think a lot of people would visit that world A LOT. And it would defy the "logic" of the worlds not existing.

What if Pluto became a planet again?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
We would figure out how Pluto and Goofy could be dogs at the same time :D !
That tomato's flying at me, isn't it?

What it the rabbit population of Australia suddenly vanished?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The dingo population would dwindle...and the kangaroo population would grow! o.O Poor dingos. :(

What if the Land Before Time tv series started again?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hopefully the "true fans" will be in charge of it and make it practically equal to the original film. Majorly boost its reviews :) .

(I'm sure the Dingos have their "natural Australian" foods :) , so hopefully they won't dwindle too badly)

What if zoologists found two male and two female Tasmanian Tigers running around in the Outback?

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hooray! A sitcom about Taz, his wife, and his best friend's family as they try to revive a species.

What if Don Bluth's films from the 1980's were horrible?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well, his fame wouldn't nearly be as huge and this forum would not exist.

What if some more Australian animals joined the legion of Loony Toons?

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Then Bugs Bunny would have an Australian accents, which would have made Loony Toons even funnier.

What if ... Chuck Norris didn't exist?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Then we would have "Jackie Chan" jokes.

What if Chuck Norris wasn't Texan?

Amaranthine

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
But...he never was Texan. He's his own breed of human being! o.O

What this life right now was just a long, agonizing dream that Chuck Norris is having?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Then everyone would be Chuck Norris :D

What if the fossil fuels like oil and gas would never run out?
Inactive, probably forever.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Depends on the flow rate. With a small enough flow rate the biosphere has time to adapt to increased levels of carbon dioxide and the world accumulates tremendous amounts of biomass over millions of years. Over hundreds of millions of years, the rate of nuclear fusion becomey so great on the Sun that the heat it provides to Earth overwhelms life's ability to adapt, and the carbon dioxide gets released all at once and the Earth becomes a new Venus. With the current flow rate, a succesful transition to other forms of energy is made in a century, but the Earth's atmosphere still warms a few degrees. Many species go extinct, life becomes harder on Earth, but civilisation survives and a restoration project is begun.

What if you could manufacture high-grade steel objects from steel powder at home?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I would imagine that would revolutionize manufacturing as we know it.  Such an ability is already possible to a degree with the development of 3D printers (some of which can use metal alloys) which could assemble modest-sized objects with a high degree of accuracy.  Some of these are actually being tested for applications relating to space exploration, as the assembly of hand tools or other objects "on demand" could potentially reduce the amount of weight of materials that would have to launched into space for individual missions.

What if scientists were able to sequence the complete genetic code of an extinct dinosaur from a small fragment of DNA that somehow was preserved in a specimen?

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The second reign of the dinosaurs...

What if humans had a well advanced sense of smell?
Inactive, probably forever.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think that it would have massive implications on how human society and instincts developed.  For one thing, a massive amount of information can be gleamed about a person's emotional state, physiology, and intentions from an analysis of their smell.  This is why certain species (dogs, for example) can almost appear to have a "sixth sense" and be able to detect when a person is under emotion distress or about to suffer from physiological problems (like an illness).  In many cases the changes in chemical composition give away the internal state of the person.  

It would not be unreasonable to assume then that if humans had an advanced sense of smell then they would rely upon more nonverbal cues in their language (including olfactory ones - it would be far hardly to overtly lie when your chemical signature gives you away, for example), be less inclined to enjoy purely visual entertainment as they interpret their world mostly through smell (it would be harder for them to relate to anything on a television screen, as the lack of discernible smells would constantly indicate to them that what was on the screen isn't real; perhaps they would be more inclined towards live theater instead?), and would have a significant portion of their education (formal and otherwise) on using their advanced sense of smell.  

Additionally, since the sense of smell is directly tied into the limbic system (the seat of emotional response and emotional memories) it would be expected that we might be more emotionally driven by our olfactory environment, which would undoubtedly be exploited in order to make populations more amicable for certain actions.  This would be especially pronounced in that our sense of smell is "wired" differently in the brain, with the smell being interpreted in the olfactory bulbs and yielding an emotional response in the limbic system before it is processed by the olfactory cortex.  This is part of the reason that we have difficulty breaking smells down into their components, whereas we can do this with our other senses.  For example, we can see that a painting may have red, blue, and violet paints which combine to form a representation of an object, but we would have difficulty in determining what basic smells combine in order to make up the composite smell of freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.  In the same manner that visual cues are used in propaganda and advertising in order to effectively manipulate people, the smells in certain locations could be modified to yield similar (and probably much more effective) results.  

Goodness, that was a long answer.  :blink: To summarize, if humans had a well advanced sense of smell it would affect a lot of things. :p

What if humans learned language in the same manner as certain bird species learn songs, where they could only learn new words and grammar during certain times of the year?

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.