The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

American Dream?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi,
currently I'm working on a presentation about the Gilded Age in American history. The presentation among other deals with immigration to the US. Beside the mere numbers and the darker aspects (poverty, racism etc.) I want to include the idea of the American dream as well though and what people saw in the US. I got a lot to tell the people. As a symbol I am going to include the statue of liberty and "The new Collossus".
However so far the internet has failed me in the quest for any image that could be used in a presentation as a little representation of "The American Dream" to an immigrant. Does anyone of you have any idea, image, or suggestion? What does the American Dream mean to you (if anything)?

FreckledOne

• Spike
    • View Profile
Well, I don't really have any images in mind (other than the Statue of Liberty) but I think that for most people, the American Dream would mean to be successful and to have enough money to be able to live "comfortably".  Maybe an image to show new beginnings?  Like a sunrise?  :idea

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't have any pictures of my own, and other than the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and perhaps New York City, I can't think of any other decent symbols.

Since I was born an American citizen, I could never be sure on what exactly the American Dream is meant to be.  The only thing I could deduce for the answer is to ask why everyone from around the world wanted to come here.  To me, the answer is to escape.  The popular topic today with immigration is mainly to escape poverty and violence, hearing about the cartel wars in various parts of Mexico, maybe other countries in turmoil.  And this seems to have been repeated before.  The massive numbers of immigrants from Europe and Asia during the turn of the 20th century, where you had revolutions and some cases of famine and unemployment.  And during potentially violent regime changes in different countries around the world, you hear of refugees trying to reach other countries, USA included, even by illegal means.

I think the ultimate goal of the American Dream is freedom, whether from persecution, poverty, violence, slavery, and genocide, though it later shows not to be easily realized (we're not perfect by a long shot), and not everybody came here for that reason, like slaves taken from Africa to work the plantations.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
House with a white picket fence with a new car in the driveway and an oak tree with a tire swing.
And all that applies to that.

Which of course, is total nonsense in this day of age. It's always been nonsense.