The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Palentological Findings News

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I sure everyone has heard Tyrannosaurus Rex wasn’t a lone scavnager but hint in packs: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/dinosaurs/8589113/Tyrannosaurus-Rex-hunted-in-packs.html . A recent finding on Deinonychus (raptor family) shows they didn’t hunt in packs or did so rarely, paleontologists came to this assessment by testing the remains of food in preseeved fossilized mouth:

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2020/05/06/raptors-did-not-hunt-in-packs.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/05/08/us/raptor-pack-hunting-questions-scn-trnd/index.html

So ironically, Jurassic Park claimed Raptors hunt in packs and T-Rex hunts alone, but the reality is the opposite.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 07:06:56 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
Cool articles, thanks for sharing! I'm not really surprised at this point that Jurassic Park has been proven wrong about these things...as much as I enjoy those movies, they're not exactly famous for scientific accuracy. (I'll admit I sort of have a grudge against the first JP's popularization of the Dilophosaurus neck frills that never were, heh heh.)

Though all the recent findings about raptors not hunting in packs disappoint me a little, seeing as how they mean important parts of my fanfic "Herd Animals and Pack Hunters" are totally inaccurate (like, um...even the title). :rolleyes But then again, that's silly of me, since nobody pretends that anything to do with LBT is scientifically accurate in the first place... :lol

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@RainbowFaceProtege Well you can always argue, that they found Deinonychus doesn’t hunt in packs, but what about Utahraptor, Velociraptor, Troodon, and etc? Sometimes cousin species hunt differently, takes mountain lions and African lions, Mountain Lions hunt solo and African Lions hunt in prides or packs. :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 07:07:37 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile
@RainbowFaceProtege Well you can always argue, that they found Deinonychus doesn’t hunt in packs, but what about Utahraptor, Velociraptor, Troodon, and etc? Sometimes cousin species hunt differently, takes mountain lions and African lions, Mountain Lions hunt solo and African Lions hint in prides or packs. :)

True. Hooray for loopholes! :lol

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
@RainbowFaceProtege Well you can always argue, that they found Deinonychus doesn’t hunt in packs, but what about Utahraptor, Velociraptor, Troodon, and etc? Sometimes cousin species hunt differently, takes mountain lions and African lions, Mountain Lions hunt solo and African Lions hint in prides or packs. :)

True. Hooray for loopholes! :lol

Loopholes are one of the joys of story telling. :lol

As for your statements on Jurassic Park/World. They did base things on what they knew then, T-Rex having bad vision was widely believed at the time and raptors hunting in packs. But yeah Dilophosaurus with frills and  spitting venom was Spielberg having fun. XD

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
A New Dinosaur was discovered that is five times larger than T-Rex:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/researchers-identify-dinosaur-species-5-182121345.html

LittlefootOnASkateboard

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
Oh yes, I've heard about that. Not entirely sure what to make of it yet. Thanks for keeping the thread updated, @Gentle Sharptooth. I think paleo news is probably of interest to a lot of us LBT fans!

Nanotyrannus

• Junior synonym
  • Chomper
  • i'll put something here eventually
    • View Profile
Of all of the times I've seen news media hype up newly-described medium-sized carnivorous dinosaurs, this might be the silliest example  :lol

The dinosaur they're describing - Ulughbegsaurus - was neither a contemporary of Tyrannosaurus nor anywhere near five times bigger than it, it was only about 3/5 as long and probably only a tenth as heavy; the "tyrannosaurus" the article keeps referring to is Timurlengia, which was about half as long as, and 1/5 the weight of, this new theropod.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Oh yes, I've heard about that. Not entirely sure what to make of it yet. Thanks for keeping the thread updated, @Gentle Sharptooth. I think paleo news is probably of interest to a lot of us LBT fans!

No problem. I love Paleontology. :)