The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Pacific War... in models!

Pterano · 47 · 6540

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pterano,Oct 7 2012 on  11:18 AM
Hey guys, so I know I've been really lax on this, and that's mostly for lack of time (though I've still set up every major battle on its anniversary).

So! Actually... I've had a further idea on this. Since I now have the rules' book for the Micronauts game itself, and I've been playing with a few friends, I was wondering if any naval/air enthusiasts out there would like to join me for a game or two? My fleets are now rather quite large, and I'm working on expanding them weekly. I still only have the Japanese Imperial Navy and the United States' Navy, as well as a few British and Dutch units, but I'll be working on getting others as time and finances permit.

My friend and I are currently doing 70th anniversary reenactments (meaning Cape Esperance is coming up soon) but we're also doing what I call "Campaign Mode" where our ship losses are permanent for the rest of the game and can't be gotten back (this of course adds an interesting inhibition to play, as players are now less likely to act with reckless and wild abandon if they want to preserve their fleets).

I have boards that I set up, and the rules are easy to learn and fairly straightforward as well (with attention given to detail and accuracy). We could play over Skype (which is free to download) and I could use my webcam to give the other player a good view of the overall map and the models. We could also play whenever time permits, as I myself have a busy schedule, but I usually set some time aside on the weekends for this (or slow weeknights).

Anyone interested?
I might be interested.

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sounds good to me f-22. I think you'd make for a good player, knowing your interest in such topics. My Skype account is nauticusvergil. Any particular side you'd prefer? I tend to leave it up to highest die roll gets to choose first, for whenever we do set up a battle, of course.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pterano,Oct 7 2012 on  12:08 PM
Sounds good to me f-22. I think you'd make for a good player, knowing your interest in such topics. My Skype account is nauticusvergil. Any particular side you'd prefer? I tend to leave it up to highest die roll gets to choose first, for whenever we do set up a battle, of course.
ok I'll sent you an friend request next time I'm on skype. and I'd like the side where there is a challenge.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Sounds good!

Since I always assume that Pearl Harbor occurs right off the bat, the side with the heaviest challenge for the first half of the war is usually the US, because they're starting with far less and have to reinforce over time. Provided they survive and start inflicting losses on the Japanese however, they'll have the clear advantage in the latter half of the war, as their superior industry will be able to replace losses that the Japanese can't. So I guess it's a question of whether you want to be challenged for the first part or the latter part of the campaign. :)

(runner up)
(runner up)

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pterano,Oct 7 2012 on  12:27 PM
Sounds good!

Since I always assume that Pearl Harbor occurs right off the bat, the side with the heaviest challenge for the first half of the war is usually the US, because they're starting with far less and have to reinforce over time. Provided they survive and start inflicting losses on the Japanese however, they'll have the clear advantage in the latter half of the war, as their superior industry will be able to replace losses that the Japanese can't. So I guess it's a question of whether you want to be challenged for the first part or the latter part of the campaign. :)
yeah. I think i'd like to do japan it is more of a challenge overall.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah I'd say overall in the long run, it's more of a challenge playing as Japan. If the US can survive the initial battles on at least passable terms, they have a major chance of defeating Japan by like 1944 on. The big thing is not getting destroyed by Japan's superior forces in the opening year of the war or so for the US player, heheh. The disparity is pretty big at first.

We can work on details over Skype and such. :yes This offer is also open to anyone else who wants to join in!

(runner up)
(runner up)

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Pterano,Oct 7 2012 on  12:46 PM
Yeah I'd say overall in the long run, it's more of a challenge playing as Japan. If the US can survive the initial battles on at least passable terms, they have a major chance of defeating Japan by like 1944 on. The big thing is not getting destroyed by Japan's superior forces in the opening year of the war or so for the US player, heheh. The disparity is pretty big at first.

We can work on details over Skype and such. :yes This offer is also open to anyone else who wants to join in!
yeah