The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Cool!

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Check out this awesome spider.  

It isn't the actual spider.  As a matter of fact, I found the pic on Wikipedia but it is the same type of spider that is in our back yard.  It is an Argiope aurantia, also known as a yellow garden spider.  I think they are beautiful and fascinating to watch.  We et these cool spiders all the time.  They are harmless to people and will ONLY bite if you pluck them out of the web and hold them but so will any other spider.  This spider has a huge web.  I saw one spinning a web before.  It was so cool.  So what kind of things do you see in your back yard?  Cool bugs?  Pretty birds?  Both?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Grass. :p

Oh...and dirt! :D
I don't have much of a back yard. :lol

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
[stuff four year olds shouldn't hear or read]!!!  :o  That's one wicked looking thing that I would run from, no questions asked....

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
:o  :o  :o What?  You mean you don't like my garden spider? :cry2  :cry2 But it is so awesome! :lol  :lol
I am actually afraid of spider webs and not the bug itself.  I had a bad experience at summer camp in which I walked through three webs in only 24 hours.  See, we were the first group to go up there for the summer.  An electrical storm had knocked out the power in the bath houses before we came upso it was dark.  I went in with a flashlight and saw something glittering right infront of me but it was far too late.  I impulsively shouted a nasty word and freaked out.  Then, the next morning, I woke up and much to my dismay, a spider had come into the tend and built a web right above my cot.  I sat up right into it.  There was no spider so I think it was just trying to pull a prank on me.  But the worst event was that night when we were on the way back from the campfire.  I walked between two trees (how could I be so foolish?) and once again saw a nice, sticky, massive, stringy web with a fat spider in it and it was too late to avoid.  And this time the spider dropped on me and went up my sleev on my shirt. :o  :blink: More cussing followed and I tore that shirt off so fast you wouldn't believe it.  THis issomewhat what that third web looked like.  

Who wants to walk into that?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
What? You mean you don't like my garden spider?   But it is so awesome!   
It reminds me of a cross between a bumblebee and a caterpiller, but with 8 legs. :lol

But I don't like bees.  Actually, I Really don't like bees.  

Anywho, that is one funky lookin' spider.  I wonder how well it can dance! B)

Ratiasu

• Spike
    • View Profile
That spider's freaken awesome! I wish I had seen one of those. It's pretty.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
But I don't like bees. Actually, I Really don't like bees.
Count me in too. People keep telling me that bees don't sting unprovoked and that only wasps would do that. Alas somebody forgot to tell the bees!
I have several times been stung by bees when I really wasn't doing anything. I saw the bee comming, stood still, allowed it to land on my hand, didn't make any movement or noise... and that dump beast just stung me!
This is even more creepy if one considers the fact that bees don't survive if they sting anyone as the barbs of their stings pull on a significant part of their body along with the poison glands.
So why do bees commit such suicide attacks on someone who (I swear) didn't do anything at all that could have been interpreted as provoking! It happened several times. On the other hand the only time I was stung by a wasp was when I accidentally sat down on it (had I been that wasp, I would have stung too).
I wonder what causes the immense fear of spiders. People say that children are "taught" to fear spiders by their parents. That doesn't make much sense to me, as my father just loves insects, and spiders, and snakes etc. He certainly didn't teach me to fear spiders. Neither did my mum. But while I am not terrified of spiders and actually enjoy looking at them I still wouldn't want to touch one. If I had a big spider on my hand I would probably shake it away frantically.
I wonder why.
When we had a backyard (we don't have any since we moved in 2006) we had a couple of squirrels in the trees whom we saw jumping between the branches. Sometimes there was a hedgehog in the garden. One day there was a surprisingly friendly blackbird and I was surprised how close it came to me.
The same day this blackbird was reduced to a bloody mess by a car driver who felt that he had to accelerate when he spotted the blackbird on the road. I was screaming and crying for hours.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Yeah, good point about the bees Malte.  I'm allergic to a lot of stuff...don't feel like trying to figure out if it includes bees....

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
While I have yet to learn against which things I'm allergic, my Mum is allergic against wasps. Unlike me my mum gets stung by wasps. I do not blame the two wasps who stung in both hands of my mum when she put on the glooves the wasps were in (though these beasts could sure pick a better place for a nab), but my poor Mum's arms were really blown up by those stings. When my Mum was stung in the face one day one could hardly recognize her anymore. It is quite dangerous for her to be stung by a wasp.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have b allergies to anythng, while I don't like getting stung by bees(who does?) I'm not allergic to them. Actually, Bee stings have been proven to help with rhuematism.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Bruton the Iguanodon

Actually, Bee stings have been proven to help with rhuematism.

Interesting...but I don't think Spike and Ducky have that so that wouldn't be much help