The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

YouTube Won't Support Most Let's Players Next Year

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yeah, not joking with this one.

http://cramgaming.com/youtube-getting-toug...tization-12989/

I wonder how long it'll be before my favorite Let's Players abandon YouTube over this.

Seriously, this sucks! :(

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Even though that won't affect me at all, I'm annoyed nevertheless. YouTube doesn't seem to be aware of that their steps might one day make many people leave the place moving on to other video hosting services that aren't so strict about things...
Inactive, probably forever.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Yuck. Although it's not really Youtube that's being an ass here this time, it is the gaming companies who in most cases don't allow monetisation and in some cases not even video material... What is that? Bullshit. If you upload trailers that THEY made and monetize it, I understand. But if you make your own content, simply using their visuals (parts of the game, such as in letsplays) I don't see what's wrong with it. Goddamn corporations.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
^ There is the "fair use" exception in American copyright law which allows the use of derived works (copies of handouts, fanfictions, cover songs, cosplays, etc.) for the purpose of criticism, comment, scholarship, and other fair uses, but if the corporations (in this case Google) are unwilling to risk court cases in order to defend that exception then it effectively eliminates it on Youtube.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I never understand corporate paranoia.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The JIMQUISITION gives his thoughts on this with a surprise video.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/vie...5-Copyright-War

To be honest, I have to agree with everything he says in it. :)

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Sorry to double post, but I found a video that does quite a nice job explaining the new policy.  It is a bit long (an hour and a half) but it does have time stamps in the description for the relevant discussion points.  It is interesting hearing commentary from Let's players and game reviewers that have been affected by the changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt1ubSVMwaw

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm personally subscribed to someone who reviews movies and movie trailers, and he's having the same problems.