The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

"Always On" requirements in games

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
It seems the video game industry didn't get the message clearly enough with the Xbox One, or at least Rockstar Games and Warner Brothers didn't.  Ever since I started playing Grand Theft Auto V, I've come cross several features in single player mode that require a live internet connection.  For example, the missions that require you to invest in the game's stock market in order to profit require that you have a live internet connection to invest the money even though it is for a single player mission.  You can still complete the missions but you won't get paid.  

Another issue is that in order to get certain vehicles, you have to play GTA Online.  Single player and multiplayer should be two completely separate entities.  You should not have to do one in order to fully enjoy the other.

Yet another issue is that in order to save screenshots taken with your character's camera phone, you have to connect to the Rockstar Social Club.  You can't just simply save them to your hard drive like you could in GTA: San Andreas.

I'd say I hope it bites them in the butt later down the road, but that seems unlikely considering that GTAV has become the single most financially successful video game of all time.

But this isn't the only game that tries to force you to connect to the internet for single player features.  I've seen several people complaining that Batman: Arkham Origins will randomly crash and then inform the player that it has no internet connection even though they're playing single player.  I've never had this problem yet but then again, I haven't completed the game either.

I'm sick of being expected to dole out 70 bucks to play a video game and then being expected to hand over even more money just to access single player features that should already be available.  Someone should file a nice big lawsuit over this bullcrap.  These companies are ripping people off by making you pay twice for the same product.