The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

"New" Gaming Innovations That are Actually Old

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I was reading an interesting article on Cracked.com regarding video games. The article in question was about gaming innovations that are older and came out earlier than we believe.

Three of them were handheld 3D gaming, motion control, and touch screen. Three things that many people tend to believe Nintendo created actually came out earlier. That's right, Nintendo is not as innovative or original as we think, at least not with these three techs. Other companies had beaten Nintendo to the punch.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19193_6-new...-you-think.html

It was quite interesting reading about this stuff, especially how the first achievements really came about and how the first real attempt at downloadable content led to America Online.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Nice find!  It's hard to believe that the "innovative" stuff gaming came up with is nearly 30 years old.

I did know that "Motion Control" and "Touch Screen" were older, but I didn't think they were that old.

It also helps prove a theory of mine.  Old technology never actually dies, it just reappears in a new form years later.  Maybe even so much later, no one really cares you're "stealing" it. :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very interesting article.  Some of that stuff I had not heard about while it was coming out originally.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Nice find there DH!
Interesting that technology keeps on advancing even from these very early stages. Granted they may not seem so innovative now but just goes to show the thought process that was going into electronic entertainment at the time. The Tomytronic is about the only one of those I vaguely remember but it's cool to see how these techs have come on now. The beauty of things like this is seeing the evolution of the hardware to think we've gone from something like the Tomytronic to the 3DS. Quite inspring  :D