The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

MMORPGs

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Anyone here play 'em? What are you thoughts on 'em?

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've played World of Warcraft, its a fun game, but i don't like the idea of paying to play every couple of months

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I've never played an MMORPG before.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
I'm playing a game called "MapleStory" =)
It's a combination of Jump&Run and RPG.

It's quite fun and it would be better if you have many friends in there.  :^.^:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
MMORPG=tediuum at its most tedious.

If I play a female character: "wow r u rly a grl wana cyber ?"

Or: "Help, I was PKed! Give munny please!"

Or being attacked by PKs, myself.

Or trains to zones.

Or the endless leveling just to do more tedious tasks for random NPCs.

Yes, I'm a very bitter little man when it comes to RPGs. Maybe I tried to start at a bad time or something? I don't know. I'd rather just play my console games, personally.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
The only console RPG that I've ever gotten into was Pokemon, only because Yellow was the first video game I ever truly owned.  I hate MMOs with a passion.  Mainly because I know several people that lost friends because of it.  I've got better things to do other than sit in my room all day pretending to be an elf.  <_<

I may not like MMOs like World of Warcraft, Everquest and Runescape(CRAAAAAP!), and Pokemon may have been the only console RPG I've ever been interested in, but I'm highly addicted to forum RP.  Ever since I was introduced to it I can't seem to get enough of it.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
MMOs are something I don't ever plan on touching or getting into. In fact, the only RPGs at all that I have ever played are -- you saw this coming -- the PokÈmon series of games. I'm just not much of an RPGer, not even the forum ones.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
and Runescape(CRAAAAAP!)

I used to like it when I was around 14 or so, now I just find it kinda...ugh...I just don't like the community.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've played World of Warcraft, its a fun game, but i don't like the idea of paying to play every couple of months
I actually have an active WoW account right now. :p
A friend of mine put the cost of playing an MMO in perspective.

Ticket to go see a movie: ABout $12.  Cost of food at theatre: About $5+
Monthly cost of MMORPG: About $12 to $15 depending on how many months ahead you order.

For the price of One 2-hour movie, one gets unlimited entertainment for a month.  Considering the price of video games, computer upgrades to Play video games, the price of new consoles, etc.  I don't think this is horribly unreasonable.  I wasn't too happy to have to pay another "Fee" for the game expansion (Burning Crusade) but it didn't kill me.

To be fair, you get what you pay for.  Free online games (Shooters and whatnot) just aren't taken care of like the MMORPGs are.  Hacking and cheating are commonplace on any free online game.  It's almost worth the monthly fee to escape the morons who destroy a game for fun.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
MMORPG=tediuum at its most tedious.

If I play a female character: "wow r u rly a grl wana cyber ?"

Or: "Help, I was PKed! Give munny please!"

Or being attacked by PKs, myself.

Or trains to zones.

Or the endless leveling just to do more tedious tasks for random NPCs.

Don't forget the random ignoramous that runs up to you screaming N00b and other various forms of chat-babble.  :lol

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
I've played MMORPGs before. The first ever MMORPG I ever got into was Final Fantasy XI, I used to play that game to death. Lv 30 Warrior then to Paladin Lv 32 before I quit. Then I moved to Guild Wars since it's free, played up to Lv 17 (Max being 20) before I quit. Then I got back into Final Fantasy XI and got shocked by how broken the economy got in the year and a half I was absent. I stopped playing after getting to Lv 35.

Last MMORPG I played was World of Warcraft. Had my fun, got to Lv 30, then I just quit. College studies and all.

In my opinion these MMORPGs can be a lot of fun if you are with the right people to play with. A nice distraction but a very time consuming genre to be in, it takes hours to level up at later levels (Took me 8-10 hours to level up even once when I was Lv 25+ in Final Fantasy XI).

It's one of those genres that you really have to work on to get anywhere since the difficulty in them are so ridiculously high and you feel a great sense of accomplishment and bragging rights when you complete something extremely hard. (And when I mean extremely hard in MMORPGs, I SERIOUSLY MEAN EXTREMELY HARD!)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Don't forget the random ignoramous that runs up to you screaming N00b and other various forms of chat-babble.
heh heh, so true! :lol
How about the endless complaining in team situations where somebody doesn't do something absolutely perfectly? :P:
If you mess up in a team game in WoW, you hear about it...for awhile. :lol:  -_-
...at least until the game is over, then nobody cares anymore. :P:

I do find MMOs kind of a waste of time.  When your account expires, what do you have to show for it?  You can't see your hard work ever again until you start coughing up the cash again.
...I have a level 40 undead mage (on Icecrown, if anyone is on that server) in World of Warcraft. :p No comment beyond this point. :lol

Valeron

• Chomper
    • View Profile
To be honest, not ALL MMOs are that bad. For example, I've found an MMO that works sort of like Left 4 Dead. It isn't players fighting each other. Its a group of players taking on a level. The game is called Vindictus, and I love playing it with my friends.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've played a MMORPG before.  I signed up a Aria Games for some odd reason and I began playing some weird game where you walked around, talked to people, and did all sorts of weird stuff with swords and armor.  It really wasn't my thing.  And playing with other friends really wasn't much fun either.  I'd prefer to play against a computer generated character.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Can't really say that MMOs are my thing. I played one...once. I was making good progress, and I was "PKed" after a particularly difficult monster battle before I had a chance to heal...or even be aware that another player was coming up behind me. Then ass commenced in looting all the spoils I had garnered while I tried to get back to where I was previously. That was about late-1990-leary-2000s. Since then, I've sworn them off since I have no intention of dealing with pricks like that.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf