The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Greetings

rhombus · 34 · 4863

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
^ No more sleeping for you, Sleepy XDD
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

LBTDiclonius

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Welcome to the GOF! Hope your stay is a pleasant one!

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Welcome!Judging from your post in the general lbt thread you are familiar with D&D.Have you played it with the traditional paper pen way,or some computer games?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Blais_13,Aug 14 2013 on  09:02 PM
Welcome!Judging from your post in the general lbt thread you are familiar with D&D.Have you played it with the traditional paper pen way,or some computer games?

I have typically played traditional pen and paper D&D, although I have dabbled in a few games built around the general premise (namely the Baldur's Gate series.)  The games that I were involved in were based upon the second and third editions, so I only have limited knowledge of editions 3.5 and 4.

If you don't mind me asking Blais, what has been your experience with D&D?  Do you prefer and particular variant of the traditional pen and paper variety (D&D, d20 system, GURPS, etc.) or are you more partial towards related computer games?  I have not had a chance to play a tabletop role-playing game in quite some time, so I would be glad to hear any recommendations that you have relating to gaming.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Of couse i don't mind. :)
My first experience with it was the traditional game with dices,we played 3 editio D&D,and I have all my books from that edition.Later I made a very good use of them in pc games too.It has been a while snce I last played tabletop,It seems I soon will  have the chance again.

For PC games I would recomend:
Planescape: Torment-very unique places and characters,and I think uses 2 edition rules

Icewind Dale-It's like Baldur's Gate,with 2 edition rules and similar graphic.

Neverwinter Nights-3 edition rules,better graphic than the other two,but a little weird too.I have to admit this is my favorite series.If you played through the campign,you can downland free modules to it made by other people,or you can create your own.It's like they(or you)are the game mester,becose it has the toolset you can create modules with.With the two expansions (Shadows of Undrentide,Hordes of the Underdark)You can have classes like pale master,and you can reach lvl 40 and use epic level spells(summoning a dragon or shoting a hellball is FUN)Also you can turn friendly fire on or off,so you won't be baking yourself with your own fireballs(a thing I amnaged to do in Baldur's Gate :lol) An advice:you can have henchmans or summoned minions with it,but if you want it to be a little harder don't use them.I think it makes the game too easy.If you decide to try it out,feel free to ask me if you have any probems playing it without companions.
modules

Neverwinter Nights2-3.5,graphically this is the best,and it has the same adventages as the neverwinter nights 1(modules).I haven't played a lot with it yet,but so far I liked.It has two expansions too(Storm of zehir and Mask of the Betrayer),which increase the level cap to I think 40,and adds classes I even  never heard of(like favored soul).I haven't tried playing it without companions,but you can have 4 here with full controll of them,and they have much more personalities then in the 1.
Modules
Also,they even made the whole Baldur's Gate into a module here.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Blais_13,Aug 15 2013 on  06:18 AM
Of couse i don't mind. :)
My first experience with it was the traditional game with dices,we played 3 editio D&D,and I have all my books from that edition.Later I made a very good use of them in pc games too.It has been a while snce I last played tabletop,It seems I soon will  have the chance again.

For PC games I would recomend:
Planescape: Torment-very unique places and characters,and I think uses 2 edition rules

Icewind Dale-It's like Baldur's Gate,with 2 edition rules and similar graphic.

Neverwinter Nights-3 edition rules,better graphic than the other two,but a little weird too.I have to admit this is my favorite series.If you played through the campign,you can downland free modules to it made by other people,or you can create your own.It's like they(or you)are the game mester,becose it has the toolset you can create modules with.With the two expansions (Shadows of Undrentide,Hordes of the Underdark)You can have classes like pale master,and you can reach lvl 40 and use epic level spells(summoning a dragon or shoting a hellball is FUN)Also you can turn friendly fire on or off,so you won't be baking yourself with your own fireballs(a thing I amnaged to do in Baldur's Gate :lol) An advice:you can have henchmans or summoned minions with it,but if you want it to be a little harder don't use them.I think it makes the game too easy.If you decide to try it out,feel free to ask me if you have any probems playing it without companions.
modules

Neverwinter Nights2-3.5,graphically this is the best,and it has the same adventages as the neverwinter nights 1(modules).I haven't played a lot with it yet,but so far I liked.It has two expansions too(Storm of zehir and Mask of the Betrayer),which increase the level cap to I think 40,and adds classes I even  never heard of(like favored soul).I haven't tried playing it without companions,but you can have 4 here with full controll of them,and they have much more personalities then in the 1.
Modules
Also,they even made the whole Baldur's Gate into a module here.
Thanks for the recommendations!  I will definitely have to check them out.  I have heard of Neverwinter Nights, but I have not yet had the chance to play it.  Turning friendly fire on or off would be a nice option.  I can relate to accidentally scorching your companions in Baldur's Gate. :lol

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Unlike the regular game where you always damage your fellow pc's if they are in the area of effect of the spell.  

I'm in a group that has 2 gm's, 1 runs 2nd edition D & D and the other 3.5.

Also it looks like GOG is having a sale on the d & d games they have.  If any are interested.  They sell drm free digital versions of video games.

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Aug 15 2013 on  10:42 AM
Unlike the regular game where you always damage your fellow pc's if they are in the area of effect of the spell. 

I'm in a group that has 2 gm's, 1 runs 2nd edition D & D and the other 3.5.

Also it looks like GOG is having a sale on the d & d games they have.  If any are interested.  They sell drm free digital versions of video games.

Wow, thank you for informing me about this!  $26.40 for 10 games is a great deal.

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
Yeah,GOG is a good source of "Good Old Games" :yes
By the way,do you prefer any specific class over others in a D&D campaign for you to play?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Blais_13,Aug 15 2013 on  07:37 PM
Yeah,GOG is a good source of "Good Old Games" :yes
By the way,do you prefer any specific class over others in a D&D campaign for you to play?
I was always a fan of the Ranger character class.  I find that the commitment to nature and reclusive life that is generally found in rangers make them interest characters to role play in tabletop D&D.  In terms of the gaming aspect, I also appreciate the wide range of skills and skill points that the ranger has.  I think that these traits make the Ranger a very versatile character if played correctly.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Interesting, I'm doing a ranger in the 3.5 campaign.  Though I do plan on dipping into wizard at some point and going for a certain prestige class.  I do like the high skill point and vast array of skills rangers get, plus it fits in that my character being an elf, fits in I think with him taking some ranger levels.  Though animal companions are very hard to get, at least for me.  I don't have one yet and he's not to far from level 5.

Dosu2Dinner

• Spike
    • View Profile
Whoops, sorry I'm late!  :rolleyes:

Anyway, nice to meet you Rhombus, I hope to see you around the forum sometime! You can call me Dosu, or Toby, or in all honesty, anything you want.  :lol