The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

On this day, We lost a legend.

SouthPawRacer

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.racedepartment.com/
Today, May the 1st, is the 16th anniversary of the death of Ayrton Senna. He was a Brazilian Formula One driver, widely considered to be the greatest ever, and the last F1 driver to be killed in a race.
He was fatally injured at the 1994 San Marino Grand Prix, when he speared off the track at a flatout corner and hit the wall while leading the race. A piece of the car's suspension pierced his helmet just above the eyebrow and damaged his brain. Despite being given an emergency tracheotomy at the crash site, the slow action of the marshals meant that he was pronounced dead upon arriving at the local hospital.
Senna's death, while tragic, brought many changes to F1 that improved the safety of the sport. Cars can now withstand more severe imacts with drivers walking away with little more than bruises; circuits now have larger runoff areas and walls are being made out of new material that softens impacts; and all changes made to the rules, cars and tracks are scrutinised under stringent safety regulations.

Nevertheless, nothing changes the fact that the world of motorsport lost one of its greats on that weekend.

Rest In Peace, Senna.

Chiletrek

• Cera
    • View Profile
Hello:
 I remember I always liked to see F-1 races, I was a fan of him even though I knew so little. I also remembered when the accident happened.
 He was a frakking good driver and he'll always be remembered for that.
 Rest in Peace.