The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Sonic(All)

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, since we have a topic about Mario, let's start a topic about his rival Sonic the Hedgehog. While his more recent games haven't been great, he still is one of the most well known characters in the gaming world. My favorite game is Sonic the Hedgehog 2. An all around fun game, and it introduced Super Sonic! I did hear that Sonic and the Secret Rings was actually pretty good, so if I ever get a Wii, I may give that game a try. I just hope that the next Sonic games for the Wii, PS3, or XBOX are better.  :unsure:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
After playing the classic Sega Genesis games on the GameCube re-release, I can see why Sonic was giving Mario a run for his money back in the ol' days of the console wars between Nintendo and Sega. Really good games, they were (and still are). One things for certain, though: You've never played Sonic 3 until you've played Sonic 3 and Knuckles. If you don't know how to, then you must not of the dual-cartridge feature introduced by the Sonic & Knuckles game.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The thing I feel about Sonic is that he just seemed to go downhill since Sega got rid of the Blast Processor.  It was like the key element to making him go so fast and keep his name as "the fastest thing alive".

I did see them try to bring it back with Sonic the Hedgehog Next Gen. for XBox 360 and PS3, but they failed with bad camera angles, stiff controls and the continous loading screen.  The last thing is what really got to everyone's skull.  Seriously, you don't need it.

However, I feel that they got the chance to bring it back with Sonic and the Secret Rings.  There, you had a nice amount of control over the speed Sonic could go, even the legendary faster than sound one we used to enjoy.  They've still got the bad camera angle problem, but aside from that, it seems Sega is finally doing it right again.

One thing I respected with Sonic was his very first cartoon show, Sonic the Hedgehog aka SatAM.  It was a wonderful cartoon show for kids.  There were many dark moments in it and they were handled rather nicely.  I never understood WHY ABC canceled it after the second year.  It was really good.

Anyways, if SEGA could just do things right again, I'm sure Sonic could become the tough competitor that he was back in the day. :)

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Sonic SatAM was concelled because "Power Rangers" played dirty and moved into the same time slot.

I haven't played many Sonic games outside of the originals that were released back when Sega was a system all its own, but it was a pretty good series at the time.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I've never played much sonic as i never had a genesis and i've never bothered playing any of the newer sonic games. Just recently i downloaded sonic 1 & 2 and enjoyed them.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Ah..the classic Sonic the Hedgehog games, not to mention the orginal SatAM cartoon show, I remember it all....especially since I still own my orginal Sega Genesis, and the 32X!  :D However I also have to say I am  impressed with Sonic and the Secret Rings, as it did a good job of mixing  the classic speed with new age graphics...

However I have yet to play the next gen. Sonic game for the PS3 and the 360, but aside from the loading screens, I think I could handle the akward camara angles and the rest...so Bring It On!

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
Ah Sonic, one of my most favorite characters. I really enjoyed all the Sonic games, from the classics of the Genesis to the recent Sonic and the Secret Rings.

I have to admit that Sonic has been going downhill recently, from the slight disappointment of Sonic Heroes to the recent disaster that was Sonic Next-Gen. However, the GBA and DS Sonic games were pretty good.

Sonic and the Secret Rings brought him back to what he was known for: Speed. With the latest speed upgrade, you're literally zooming through the stage. Camera angles were finally fixed, and the Speed Break and Time Break were nice additions to help you through the stage without slowing down.

Sonic still has a way to go to be able to return to the glory he had during the Genesis, but Sonic and the Secret Rings was a nudge to the right direction. I'm curious to see what direction they'll take Sonic whenever his next console game comes out.

As for the cartoons, I enjoyed them all. I managed to buy the Sonic SatAM DVD box set and I'm gonna try to get the AoStH DVD box set when I can.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Sonic's more recent fall from glory is probably due to the 3D technolocy and the makers having to figure it out. I'd prefer if they just went back to 2D gameplay with 3D graphics. It would make playing the recent games a whole lot simpler (this is not a reply to any particular post here, its just two cents I thought I'd throw out there).
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I loved sonic for the old sega genisis.  I tried sonic hero's for gamecube and ps2, but it was so easy that I got bored.  Gotta love those old games. :D

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Besides Littlefoot & Pikachu, Sonic is one of my favorite characters in, what I like to call, my top 10 fav chars list.

I didn't like him & his games for a beginning, being myself a 100% Nintendo fan, but when SEGA stopped releasing its consoles, I gave Sonic a second chance.

And guess what?

These were the best games ever! No wonder they were a tough competition against Nintendo. Anyway, I've never play a sega console myself, by I could enjoy their precious treasures thanks to the "Sonic Mega Collection" Game Disc for the GCN. Oh, and his new generation is impressive, I love to play his new games.

As for the show, it was never aired in Mexico, so thanks to YouTube, I could onlu enjoy it with wacky editions. :lol

That's all. Oh, BTW, Sonic is way past cool.

Weather_lord_7

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Ahhh, I loved Sonic as a kid. Loved the SatAM show as well. Bloody power rangers, taking it's place.  <_<

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Weather_lord_7,Aug 29 2007 on  05:11 PM
Ahhh, I loved Sonic as a kid. Loved the SatAM show as well. Bloody power rangers, taking it's place.  <_<
Sad thing is that I like Power Rangers more than Sat AM.  Dang! :D

Anyways, who here would like the idea of both Sonic and Mario working together to take down some sort of evil force that neither could beat alone in a game?

I know that's an overused idea in fanfics these days, but it would be so cool as a game.  Heck, the idea alone would make that game have the potential to be the hottest game of the year! :^.^:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
You said this in another thread, didn't you? :D

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Anyways, who here would like the idea of both Sonic and Mario working together to take down some sort of evil force that neither could beat alone in a game?
Theres a flash film on newgrounds that has that exact idea. It has Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Shadow team up against Metal Sonic. The storyline, and fighting is kinda based off Dragon ball Z. Its called Super Mario Bros Z. So if you like Mario, Sonic, and Dragon Ball Z then check it out.

Heres the link to it, if anyones interested

Keni

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~sorawtk
Dang it Flathead770! You beat me to it XD

That flash series is just awesome. The fighting scenes are very well done.

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
i know! By far my favorite flash film series.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That flash series is quite popular on YouTube.  I watch it myself and I just LOVE all 6 Episodes and the official intro that was put up just a few months ago. :)

I feel it would be wonderful as both a game and an actual TV Series.  Of course, you need to make sure to get the right voice actors or get pummeled by "certian people". ;)

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Yup! Super Mario Bros. Z! Some guy nicknamed Alvin-Earthworm created this way cool flash series. I've been watching those series from the very first episode, and it's becoming quite popular on all the net, just like the Numa Numa, the Peanut Butter Jelly Time dancing banana or the YouTube Poop videos. Anyway, SMBZ is all the rage! I hope for the next episode co come out on Newgrounds soon! :D

Gee, I talked too much. :wow

KingdomKey23

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I love SMBZ! One of the best flashes of all time! The fight scenes were well done, and they captured the characters perfectly. That would be a great if it was a game that combined Mario and Sonic.