The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Scheduled Server Re-activation

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I'm sorry for all the delays with the server and the fact that I can't come onto GOF very often.  I called Comcast a few days ago and I have an appointment scheduled for the 14th of December.  I'll try to get the server up and running by that time, but I might do some upgrades while I'm at it.  Right now, the server is split into approximately 4 100gb partitions.  This way it prevents the entire server from crashing if some cracker or horrible virus infects it.  To be perfectly honest in my opinion, security is too tight for a server of this size and the number of visitors it receives.  To make things easier for all of us, I've decided to reformat the server into a single drive format.   That's so much work that I might as well upgrade it while I'm at it.  

I'm going to upgrade it to two drives; a 250gb Western Digital and a 320gb I/O Magic.  The server sees them as 1 single drive (my own design of course) so there won't be a problem that the 320gb is external.  In fact, that adds security to the server in case the server OS becomes corrupted or something else bad happens.  This will increase the servers total storage capacity to 570gb (530gb in reality).  That's the good part.  The bad part is that I'll be downgrading the ram to only 1gb until I can get around to buying more.  

On the bright side, the ram is DDR2 now instead of just DDR.  I'll eventually upgrade it to 3gb.  Perhaps even more if I can finish my version of XP Lite SP3 X64 Edition before Windows7 comes out.  The thing can handle 4gb.  Eventually, I plan to replace the existing server with a server that has 16gb of ram with 4 1tb hard drives and a core2quad 2.9ghz processor.  In a few years of course.  I'll upgrade the LBT server depending on its needs.  I'm not going to go all out yet. :p I'd rather spend my money on keeping my personal fleet of computers up to date.  Money is rather tight right now seeing as my family has just moved and we're all out of a job at the moment (including myself).  

Well anyways, I hope to have the server running up by the 16th at the latest.  You know how these things go though.  It'll probably take a little longer than I plan.  Nothing ever goes the way I plan it to go. <_<

EDIT:  Oh and I forgot to mention that I think there's something wrong with the wiring of the entire apartment complex (I took a look in the control room) and I have the feeling there's something major wrong.  It might take a lot longer than the scheduled appointment date. :bang

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One does have to put safety first so I'm sure most here will understand if things are delayed as the wiring is seen to.  Thanks for keeping us up to date.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The 16th, huh?  I'll hold you to that! ;) *marks calendar*

Anyways, I understand.  That's a lot of work for ya.  Have fun! :)