The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Salutations!

Pterano · 48 · 5573

Pterano

• The Fabulous Fearsome Flyer
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Vonboy: Unfortunately no, they were all on my old computer, and that died. I lost all my files and music, and well, that was four years ago. I'm a wiser person now, and backup all my stuff :p I think there may be some old fanfics on my LiveJournal, but none of them are LBT. I was actually thinking of starting one tonight or tomorrow, based on an older idea I had, but revamping it quite a lot. you're starting one tomorrow as well, or so I see :)

Nick22: Yeah I don't know much about the rivalry they had, though I guess they used the Reichstag fire to sort of blame the communists and oust them from influencing things, didn't they? As for Manchukuo yeah, the Soviets weren't very lucky then. Didn't they finally take over in 45 though? Can't remember exactly.

(runner up)
(runner up)
---------------------------------------------------

Poster of the Gang of Five's 400,000th post

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
the Reichstag fire was set by an anarchist named van Der Luube as a protest against his unemployment. it led to the passage of the Enabling law which gutted the Weimar constitution and banned political parties
 the Nazis never actually got rid of the constitution, they just kept renewing the Enabling Act while in office
 as for the Soviets, it was their defense of their borders that forced the Vjhinese to turn South to China and Southeast asia. the Soviet Union did not declare war on Japan until august 8th 1945,
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum.  Great to have another new member here.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you Kor! It's good to be here.

Nick22: Ahh an anarchist. Well it certainly gave them a convenient excuse to shrug aside democracy. I always find it interesting how various groups or people are able to bend the rules. I'm currently studying the height of Robespierre's power myself, in comparison.
Ah yeah, that was basically the tail end of the war in that case. Soviets really got involved late, though I guess it did ultimately help to push another nail in the coffin.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
^ There has been a lot of debate though. Take notice that the sentence against Marinus van Der Lubbe was first repeatedly mitigated (not that he personally would have minded much seeing that he had been executed) and finally nullified in 2007 for lack of evidence and the fact that his sentence was based on the rules of dictatorial rules imposed after the crime committet. Most historians agree that he likely did set fire to the Reichstag, but there has been a lot of debate on him being instigated to set the fire, about who the instigators were, and about the fire possibly being fanned rather than extinguished by SA members at first to make it "spectacular enough" a pretence for what followed.

I suggest that we should move to the fridge soon lest this welcoming thread becomes a total history conference :lol

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Historians... welcome to the forum, Pterano! I'm surprised that name hasn't been already taken.  :p

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I know! I noticed there were over 400 members here, and I was like... no way this is gonna work. But when I clicked submit, and saw that my registration was successful, I was like wow! Well what do you know? Thanks for the welcome!

Malte279: Yes... we probably should move to the Fridge soon. XD In fact, I was thinking of starting a thread which tracks my following of the War of the First Coalition as I'm going through it, covering major battles and events.

(runner up)
(runner up)

trulyfantasticme

• Petra (He/They)
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • Very Important Rock
    • View Profile
Pterano is AWESOME!!!!!

Hi there! It's nice to see new Pterano fans! I'm a HUGE fan of Pterano myself.
Petra is a variant of the Greek name "Petros" meaning "strong" or "rock." Andi is a variant of the Greek name "Andy" meaning "masculine" or "brave." Therefore, I am tremendously brave and strong! :lol

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Hahah, yes, he is! Always happy to meet fellow Pterano fans!

(runner up)
(runner up)

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Welcome to the forum, Pterano! (Never thought I'd say that! :lol)

As I think you've already found out, this forum has its fair share of history buffs, so you're in good company here. (I'm more into the natural sciences myself; I'm not much good for history discussions, I'm afraid.)

Anyway, glad you could join us! Enjoy the forum! :D

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Thank you Pangaea!

I actually used to be quite into the natural sciences myself, as I wanted to be a marine biologist when I grew up. XD So I promise I'm nowhere near as good as I'm sure you are on the topic, but I should be able to at least vaguely recognize what you're saying if we ever do get into a natural sciences discussion.  :smile

(runner up)
(runner up)

Im little green glyder :J

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Welcome Pterano in GOF. Nice sees new members. I hope you will keep in good fun.
 :DD

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
And welcome to you! I noticed we joined around the same time, so I guess we can welcome each other then.  :smile Yes I'm sure we'll both be enjoying this place, as so far it seems like quite the excellent place for LBT.  :smile

Excellent sig by the way. :D

(runner up)
(runner up)

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
:lol  You aren't the only history 'obsessed' here.   Although I am more into 'ancient' periods of history.  

Anyway, welcome to the forum. :)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Heheh, I like some ancient periods as well.  :smile Thanks!

(runner up)
(runner up)

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh?  What periods, if you don't that I ask?
I'm an obsessive Roman, Greek and Egyptian period.  In fact that is what I'm doing mostly at uni, at least I get to dig them up.;)

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes I do like Roman and Egyptian history, and have been purchasing a few books in particular on early Egyptian kingdoms and dynasties. I do like ancient Greek history, but tend to more like the literature of that time period, such as the man in your signature, Sophocles :D
I'm also big into the dynasties of China, something I've been recently studying as a passing interest.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Ah yes, the literature of the greek period; Aristophanes is a favourite of mine.:)

If you are interested in mythology, feel free to go to the Party zone and join in on the mythology trivia in the Brain food section.  There are also  trivia threads on Roman and Egyptian history too.:)

(that is, if you are interested in mythology).

Pterano

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I am actually, yes. :) For a board game we had to design this last semester of mine, my group chose to come up with a board game based on Greek mythology. So yes, I am into it :)

Checking out that forum sounds like a good idea then :) Thanks for the tip :) Still navigating this place after all.

(runner up)
(runner up)

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Oh wow.  A board game based on greek mythology?  That definetly sounds something that I would play.:D

Now, before I bombard you with questions, I'll er bombard you with questions on your 'ask me' thread.:p