The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dead woofer...equalizer discussion

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Well after six to seven years of infrequent to frequent use, my HK-495 speaker system has bit the dust. :(  I haven't been using the satellites, but I had used the woofer for a standalone .1 channel.  Its so different without it, I've been mucking with equalizers to match them to two older radio systems with Line-in jacks.  I can't buy computer speakers...I've tried and they sound awfully shrill.  -_-  

Tis a sad day (and standalone woofers too expensive to buy).  :cry2

I'm working on dealing with this problem as best I can and with the items I have at my disposal.  What I have right now like I said are two older radio systems: one is a Panasonic RX-FW39 from the 1980s and tips scales at 12lbs, and the other is a Panasonic RX-FT5000 from the early 1990s.  Right now, I've worked with the FT5000 and the foobar2000 equalizer, emphasizing the midrange about 3db in the 500hz-4000hz range, and auto leveling it to prevent serious distortion.  Only reason I did this was the fact this is a two-way system with no midrange speakers and its hard to get vocals to sound really good.

If anyone has messed around with equalizers (namely software ones) have you managed to get somethng decent out of them?  Are there plugins that perhaps ought to be considered?

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Here's a nice little topic on another forum that talks a bit about EQing tracks.  It's mainly for mixing/audio production but some of this is rather useful for post-production equalization as well.

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/showthread.php?t=10434

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I can't buy computer speakers...I've tried and they sound awfully shrill.

Oh you can buy some great computer speakers.  The only catch is that they're around $400 for a decent pair.  That's how much mine were and they're better than my friends $600 stereo system. B)

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Well I also can't spend $500.  That's more than my car insurance to put things in perspective. :P:  As the saying goes, you have to spend much much more to get comparable quality to headphone listening, and its already hard to top what I can get with the Senns I strongly vouch for.

Tim, thanks for the link.  I sort of listened to the guy but you can't ignore one spectrum entirely in orchestral music, so he lost brownie points there.  Pop music you might get away with it, but not the stuff I listen to.