The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Chomper's parents?

Guest · 4 · 1953

Bruton the Iguanodon

Ah, yes...Chomper's parents, who are among only a handful of guest characters who reappeared in the seqeuls, along with Tria, Mo, and Chomper himself.

First of all, you're probably thinking, "Why the hel is this even a topic?"
The reason? Because in the two apperences they made, they were the same---yet different. First, let's take a look at the Mama and Papa Sharptooth of 5. Clearly they're dangerous and hungry, yet they're clearly "mommy" and "daddy" from the get go. Also, we're actually given subtitles to know what they're saying. As that guy who reviewed movie 5 pointed out how by doing that it's dumbing them down. We even get a bit of humor from the dad as he shows worry for his son upon seeing him gather food for his friends. Ultimately, these two actually turn nice.

Now let's take a look at them in 2. In their original appearence they were portrayed considerably darker characters---less like actual, umm, dinosaurs, and more like the carnivourous reptiles they are. There were no subtitles, no humor, and while they did show affection towards their son, it wasn't even comfirmed that they were the parents until the tail end, to which the viewer goes "...oh man" if they haven't already figured it out---which older fans probably will, and anyone who's already seen 5, like me, will have.

My point being, these sharpteeth that once rivaled the original were dumbed down for their sophmore appearence. Don't get me wrong, it was an interesting appearence they made in 5, but nowhere near as good as in 2. The again, not exactly fair to compare since they were both very different, as I've pointed out. But anyways, which do you prefer?

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The ones in five. In two they were already portrayed as having emotions (a gigantic leap from the first movie), like love, so why not go the whole way and give them the full range of emotions  and behaviour, like speaking a language, displayed by the LBT plant-eaters? With the difference that sharpteeth eat meat and speak another language, of course.

Personally, I would prefer the sharpteeth to have remained the unrelenting force of nature from the first movie, but I think "humanised" sharpteeth work in LBT as well.

Bruton the Iguanodon

You have to draw the line somewhere. 2 went a little too far to that line for my liking, but 5 crossed it by "going the whole way".

LBTLover1

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pranksterclan.co.nr
OMG I loved Chomper's parents in 2, when they DIDN'T have dialouge.  It was just more appealing and interesting.  They were also more protective of their son in the same thought.