The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Hobbit

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
This is my review of Peter Jackson's The Hobbit.

The Hobbit was a big, steaming pile of disappointment.
It didn't live up to LotR. It didn't even live up to the Narnia films. It managed to be neither a kid's movie nor a film for LotR fans. It's an unholy nightmatish mishmash where you get troll snot or a cartoonish Gungan Goblin King on a giant toilet for a throne (I wish I was making that up) one second, and then, a long drawn out (and completely unnecesary) roundtable scene about The Necromancer or images of horrific violent the next.

There was absolutely no consistency in tone. NONE. The filmmaking was so incompetent that the mood whiplashed back and forth at breakneck speeds.

God help me if I have to sit through another scene of the film's Jar Jar Binks, Radagast. Oh, Sylvester McCoy. You're a delightful actor. The performance they had him give was just insulting. He's a character more suitable in the Oogieloves PSA show than a Tolkien adaptation.

The childish humor was wasted on me and the long family histories were boring for the kids. The film managed to just completely miss the mark in terms of capturing Tolkien. The Appendices based were all unneeded, and the film managed to be LONGER than the book for certain sections. HOW DO YOU DO THAT IN A TOLKIEN-BASED MOVIE?!

Tolkien wrote this as a children's book. They should have treated the material like the author did and just made one movie. It's pacing was sluggish and agonizing. The additional material added NOTHING, other than padding.
Also, the cameos from the previous films were utterly worthless. It was basically Elrond, Galadriel, and more all standing around telling the audience that what happened in LotR was going to happen. ...Thanks, the previous films only grossed about $3 billion, total, so I think we all got that memo, Elrond.

In all, it wasn't an atrocious film, but by damn if Peter Jackson and co weren't trying their best to make it so.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Blais_13

• Spike
    • View Profile
I was actually looking forward to this film,but reading your review it seems to be much worser than the LotR ones,which i realy liked.Do you think it still worths one watching,or just avoid it?

troll snot or a cartoonish Gungan Goblin King on a giant toilet for a throne
  :wow That sounds realy weird.Toilet throne??? :wow

Ghostfishe

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I found it entirely worth watching.

The thing is, The Hobbit isn't LOTR. The books are not even remotely the same, the structure and themes and feel of the two are way different... so really, what do you expect? The Hobbit is essentially a fantasy tale Tolkien developed for older children, and very different from the dry seriousness and angsty grimdark of the Trilogy. The Hobbit film can't be exactly the same as the book and also be exactly the same as LOTR simultaneously, because the two are different enough that it just isn't possible. But at the same time, if they just made it identical to the Hobbit book, it would be difficult to advertise as being related to LOTR... a lot of LOTR fans would probably get pretty angry, because they really aren't that similar.

So no, they aren't trying to "ruin" anything, they're just trying to compromise for LOTR fans and Hobbit fans alike... not just give either group exactly what they want at the cost of the other (which is what a lot of the LOTR fans I've seen floating around seemed to have expected).

If you're a diehard LOTR fan and the thought of a movie that isn't as grimdark as LOTR leaves a bad taste in your mouth... then yeah, maybe you won't enjoy it. But if you appreciated reading The Hobbit, or think you could potentially appreciate something based on a book that's a bit lighter and less serious than the Trilogy, then there's still a good chance that you'll enjoy it.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
The Hobbit was written for a younger generation than Lord of the Rings. The story isn't as epic as Lord of the Rings, so that's most likely the reason why it doesn't measure up to LOTR. From what I heard, it is not a bad movie, but it's no Lord of the Rings. The adventure isn't as big or as epic, so anyone going to see TH expecting another LOTR will be sourly disappointed.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I wouldn't recommend it, Blais, frankly.

@Ghostfishe: The "compromise" hurt the movie. This film seemed indecisive as to what it wanted to be. They needed to pick a tone and stick with it, regardless of how one group of fans would feel, because you can't please everyone. They NEEDED to do what was best for the movie. As is, switching from goofy to VERY dark and grim was just jarring. It didn't feel natural. It felt like the movie was rivetted together from scenes filmed by two different directors, neither of whom had the slightest idea what the other doing and just went off and did their own thing. I don't care why the breakneck shifts in tone were done. The point is, they weren't done well. At. All.

They should have just made a Hobbit movie and said "to hell with everyone who doesn't like it". This film was a guaranteed success regardless of how they did it. Any backlash from illiterates only familiar with the movies would be easily ignored.

@Dark: I am well aware of what The Hobbit is. I am well aware that it isn't LotR. I did not go in expecting LotR. I went in hoping for a decent, fun adventure movie. The movie failed in that department utterly and completely.
Here's the thing. The Hobbit is an intelligent children's book. It did not have juvenile or childish humor. It treated it's intended readers with respect with witty humor and had a much better balance between the light-hearted and more grim sections.
This film inserted childish and juvenile humor and then would promptly switch to scenes of violence and gore on par with LotR. The dissonance between tones was just off-putting at best.

In all, this film was just a trainwreck and everyone involved should be feel ashamed for taking part in it.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
remember that this is just part 1 of three films. i havent seen it yet, but i will and will give my take when i do. i would have prefered it be in two parts, as stated on the LOTR threrad, but whats done is done.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
The existance of two others parts doesn't make Part 1 any better.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • http://z8.invisionfree.com/The_Valley/index.php?
I'll say that it lacked focus, but that was my biggest problem. Because not only does it feature the Hobbit, but also The Silmarillion (which I am utterly incapable of verbally pronouncing =P ).
My summary:
"Time for an adventure!"
"NO!"
"Look out! Danger!"
"Crisis averted!"
"Angsting!" "We still love you even if you made that mistake, bro"
"Danger again!"
"We got away!"
"Angsting!"
"Flying rocks!!!"
And so forth

It was a mess, but I am more scared to see hoards of Smaug fangirls that bray he was innocent the whole time. Pff. You call uprooting an entire civilization and critically harming the neighboring one innocent? And Benedict Cumberpatch?! Please...no. Get Bill Nighy or something!

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I do not regret having watched the movie. There are very valid points of criticism. I agree that Radegast was over the top and also I saw some changes from the book that I considered unnecessary (e.g. Bilbo's actually witnessing Gollum's losing of the ring). Some of the looks were rather difficult to swallow (oversized Pelikan chin of the chieftain of the Goblins in Moria. Some of the dwarfes looking kind of "not-dwarfish"). Nevertheless there were also a lot of things I liked. I went to the movie with the expectation of some LOTR atmosphere, but also in the awareness that not all expectations could be fullfilled and with a degree of readiness to go with some stuff I wouldn't like in combination with the stuff I would like. With that stand I found it to be a movie that was enjoyable for me all the while I understand why the two extreme wings of the audience spectrum (diehard Tolkien fans on the one and people looking for casual entertainment not requiring much previous knowledge on the other hand) wouldn't be able to enjoy it. I'm glad I could enjoy the movie but am not going to try to talk anyone who did not like it into my view. I only appeal to everyone to share their views but not go into missionizing mode pro- or contra-Hobbit.
I am curious to see what the next movies will bring. Seeing how the second movie is likely to finish or near finish the Hobbit if they continue the pace of the first one I suppose they'll have to either come up with a lot of "new" stuff that we can only deduct from brief mentions or appendixes or else the third movie will have to be based primarily on "non-Hobbit material" and will be more Simarilon based. We'll see.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Fair enough. I'm glad someone had a good time, then, at least.

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I didn't have too huge of a problem with Radagast...other than that he was a little hard to understand sometimes. And I might be part of the minority that thinks that the rabbit sled is actually kind of awesome. "All aboard the bunny sleigh", as I said to my boyfriend watching the movie. I'll also be frank and say that I was most concerned for the Sebastian the hedgehog, and that's probably where another problem of the movie was.

I made some riff regarding Radagast's house, but I don't remember what it was.
It was also kind of impressive how they managed to work in some of the songs.

Between the animated and live action scenes of the dwarves in Bilbo's house...I think the latter captured it better. Especially when they started throwing the plates around with "That's what Bilbo Baggins hates". Much more energy and much more..."discombubulment". I was quite excited when it came up, actually.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I just got back from taking my sister to the movie for her 18th birthday.
Alright, first of all, I found the film a lot less painful the second time around and in fact thought much better of it. I'll be reconsidering my initial assessment of the film now and perhaps even see it again.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if they have much white council stuff in the first part.  Though that would likely be spoilers.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Dec 22 2012 on  08:46 PM
I just got back from taking my sister to the movie for her 18th birthday.
Alright, first of all, I found the film a lot less painful the second time around and in fact thought much better of it. I'll be reconsidering my initial assessment of the film now and perhaps even see it again.
I had the same issue with Shrek 3^^
The first time I saw it in theaters, I didn't like it. It seemed like it was trying too hard, and since the 2nd Shrek is my absolute favorite, I was more than a little disappointed. But after I watched it the second time, I was able to laugh more, and it felt a lot more genuine. Sometimes a second glance is all you need :)

I personally can't wait to see it^ I just got into BBC's Sherlock so I'm on kind of a kick with Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch ;) from what I saw on the trailer, I admit, it looked a little goofy, but at the same time, the Hobbit is more of a lighthearted novel. A hobbit is thrown into an upside down adventure, and he's completely out of his league there, so it's sort of a comedy. He's almost eaten by trolls, goblins and a dragon, but there are also quiet points. Rivendell, Lake Town, returning the Hobbiton, so I'd say yeah, there are moments of indecisiveness.
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I think the scenes with Gollum were the best of the whole movie.
Heck, it was better than the Rankin/Bass scene of it. While I'm not too impressed with how he got there, it was still really chilling. Gollum looked awesome too. Supposedly, they were making him to seem a lot more "real" than he was in the original trilogy and I think they worked. And his response to the ring being gone. By golly, it was great! When it got to the "we hates it forever", my boyfriend said to me that the line was probably going to turn into a meme at some point.

The intensity of the riddle exchanges was really great too, especially with how the characters were responding to the stakes at hand. Either Bilbo was going to die or Gollum was going to lose his first decent meal in who knows how long.

I knew how it was going to end, but it was still really had me sitting up really tight

bushwacked

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/Bushwackedboy?feature=mhee
I'm going to see this in a few days, and I've heard from some people that seeing it in 48 fps made it difficult to focus on what was happening on screen. Did you guys find any problems with it, or do you recommend seeing the standard 24fps version?

Ptyra

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I watched it regular, so I wouldn't know

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I've seen it three times now. I went with a friend because she didn't want to go alone and ended up liking it even more than last time. I must have REALLY been in a bad mood when I saw it the first time, because I have a very different opinion of it now.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I loved it. I knew it was a movie (and book) designed for kids rather than a more mature audience. I'm actually glad it was a bit lighter atmosphere than the Lord of the Rings. Radagast was well done in my opinion, I loved his performance ;)

My mother, being the diehard Tolkien fan she is (and always has been), loved it as well. She's looking forward to the following movies as much as me and my brothers :)

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
thats good wr, that you changed your mind with repeated viewings. you went from ' this stinks' to 'this  is actually not bad' to , hey this is pretty good.' i havent seen it yet, but i will..
Winner of these:

Runner up for these: