The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Could the sequels have been made darker?

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
    • Ian's Corner - My personal review blog
The thing is, I feel that the original film did such a wonderful job at appealing to both children and adults. Not to say that the sequels inherently lack appeal to adults; this very forum is proof of that. But at the same time, I don't think making the sequels closer to the original film's tone would've sacrificed their appeal to kids.

ImpracticalDino

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Be my lover, Littlefoot. <3
    • View Profile
I haven't read your huge post to prevent spoilers on my part, but I'll chime in with my opinion on the matter.

I agree with you that having a darker tone for the sequels wouldn't sacrifice the appeal to kids. In fact, I'm pretty sure many of them would appreciate not being "babied" all the time with all of this child friendly content of sunshine, rainbows, and whatnot. In fact, many kid movies and cartoons back in the 90s and before had many adult elements in them, some very subtle, others more obvious. Some even had blood and alcohol in them, although brief. Of course, everyone's preferences are different and something to take into consideration, but now I feel as if they're too afraid to put these things in today's cartoons.

Discord! I'm howling at the moon! And sleeping in the middle of a summer afternoon...

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
That was one of the things that appealed to me about the original. For a children's film, it's surprisingly gritty, and darker than a lot of kids' movies made to this day. Watching it was a unique experience.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 06:08:06 AM by StardustSoldier »

Dr. Rex

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • Nah nah nah, nah nah nah, nah nah nah...imaginary!
    • View Profile
I think with the earlier sequels (I'm going to estimate LBT 6 and before), it'd be quite easy to make them darker. Just remove the songs, amp up the scare factor of certain scenes a little, probably explore the themes a little more in-depth, and ta-da! I think you can also make LBT 7-10 darker as well, though you'd probably have to make some more drastic changes. LBT 11 and afterwards, though, is where you need to go back to the drawing board.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
I am probably in the minority, who actually prefers that LBTII-XIV are lighthearted. It made when sharpteeth show up more intense, but mainly most films are “The Joker” and “The Dark Knight” realism; which are rather dark and full of depressing undertones. TLBT is an escape from the dark world (film Noir) that has overtaken cinema and allows me to reconnect with that child nature inside of innocence.

What I would prefer is Bluth or a successor makes a new set of sequels that are darker follow ups to the Original. This way fans have the best of both worlds.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 05:29:32 PM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

StardustSoldier

• Bestest Friends
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
For me it depends on the movie. Some work fine with a darker tone, while others are better as lighter movies. But generally, I like a balance of "not too light, not too dark." Most of my favourite movies fall within that range.

However, I find that a lot of children's and/or animated films tend to be more light-hearted by default. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, and there are plenty of animated films I enjoy. But still, I wish we could have more kids' films and cartoons that are closer to the tone and style of LBT 1.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 08:44:55 PM by StardustSoldier »

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
For me it depends on the movie. Some work fine with a darker tone, while others are better as lighter movies. But generally, I like a balance of "not too light, not too dark." Most of my favourite movies fall within that range.

However, I find that a lot of children's and/or animated films tend to be more light-hearted by default. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, and there are plenty of other animated films I enjoy. But still, I wish we could have more kids' films and cartoons that are closer to the tone of LBT 1.

Its ironic, for adults the default is dark and for children’s films & shows is light hearted. I agree that a balance is best, which LBTII got close to. If TLBT franchise is to be accessabile to kids who frankly watch “Strsnger Things,” “A Quiet Place,” and “IT to”; the Bluth path is going to be best. I also argue respectfully that TLBT will have to go down a Dreamworks or Pixar path to compete in animation and draw attention from the newer generations. While I personally love the style of TLBT, Bluth, and old Disney Studios (Lion King, and etc), I confess such animation is harder to sell these days. 

OwlsCantRead

• Literally Guido シ
  • Member+
  • Ducky
  • "In the morning light, the evening star…"
    • View Profile
I agree! :duckyhappy

Even though some animated movies nowadays are dismissed as being just for kids, it is possible to showcase some adult morals. It is indeed nice to have a movie that isn't completely light-hearted, but not an edgy flick. That balance resonates well for the broadest experience for all, much like how everyone can enjoy the original LBT.

However, I find that a lot of children's and/or animated films tend to be more light-hearted by default. Which isn't a bad thing necessarily, and there are plenty of other animated films I enjoy. But still, I wish we could have more kids' films and cartoons that are closer to the tone of LBT 1.
Conversely, I understand the criticism that some children's movies are literally mindless dreck where the target demographic is kids and literally only kids (Minions, Emoji Movie, cough). In a sense, for adults us to enjoy the LBT sequels, we are considered a peripheral demographic that the writers never thought about when writing the yellowbellies, for instance.

All this makes me conclude that, really, unless there's a reboot, the sequels will never be as dark as the old films. But it's fine, the sequels stand fine as they are.
Would it be possible for swimmers and flyers to get more love around here? Both figuratively… and literally.

That one guy who writes LBT fanfiction and accidentally makes them five times longer than he'd originally intended.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Even though some animated movies nowadays are dismissed as being just for kids, it is possible to showcase some adult morals. It is indeed nice to have a movie that isn't completely light-hearted, but not an edgy flick. That balance resonates well for the broadest experience for all, much like how everyone can enjoy the original LBT.

Conversely, I understand the criticism that some children's movies are literally mindless dreck where the target demographic is kids and literally only kids (Minions, Emoji Movie, cough). In a sense, for adults us to enjoy the LBT sequels, we are considered a peripheral demographic that the writers never thought about when writing the yellowbellies, for instance.

All this makes me conclude that, really, unless there's a reboot, the sequels will never be as dark as the old films. But it's fine, the sequels stand fine as they are.

Well said. Few of the creators (Bluth excluded) realize that what you loved as child can stay with you to adulthood and that we continue to be fans. LBTXIIi is a case and point of your point that it was designed for kids only who love Illumination’s “Minions” and etc. i am glad we got a slight course correct with LBTXIV.