The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Promise (2017)

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

The Promise takes place before the collapse of Ottoman Empire, when in 1915 a campaign of genocide was waged against Armenian Christian people. The film captures the horror and heroism of this dark chapter of history. It is refreshing after plenty of films telling the tragedy of Holocaust of the Jews (7 Million Jews slaughtered) that a film covers the genocide of 1.5 Million Armenians. This is not a bleak film, there is a romantic triangle, including Chris (Christina Bale), and plenty of light moments and comedic moments to offset the more horrific and tragic parts of the film. Worth seeing.

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

Dracorider19

• Spike
  • If you wanna be great, let greatness surround you
    • View Profile
Well, finally, they are covering a horrific genocide that was against another ethnicity, as well as Christians, after decades of focusing solely on the Holocaust against Jews (not to mention there were numbers of Christians and Catholic priests killed in the Holocaust as well).                     Since I see you're a Christian, well good for you. I am a Christian too, specifically a Roman Catholic. I think I'll check out the film too.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dracorider19,Apr 25 2017 on  12:45 AM
Well, finally, they are covering a horrific genocide that was against another ethnicity, as well as Christians, after decades of focusing solely on the Holocaust against Jews (not to mention there were numbers of Christians and Catholic priests killed in the Holocaust as well).                     Since I see you're a Christian, well good for you. I am a Christian too, specifically a Roman Catholic. I think I'll check out the film too.
You are correct, my friend Rosemary Schindler (niece of Oscar Schindler, see Spielberg's Schindler's List) goes around teaching at churches and synagogues that there were "12 Million Christians killed in Holocaust, and 7 Million Jews." So the Holocaust is our holocaust too. I am glad the Genocide of Armenians is being told with flair, because my Armenian friends in Jerusalem wept when they shared how their grandparents were slaughtered. I was standing in Old City Jerusalem, Israel as my friend showed the map of the Armenian Genocide. So this film reminded me of my friend, who has since reposed unto the LORD.

Go to meet another brother in Christ. I am Protestant, but Pope Francis I has now blessed The Reformation. I have been studying St. Benedict of Nurisa (I read The Rule), St. Bernard of Clairvaux (I think him for introducing the Crucifix into wider use), St. Augustine of Hippo (my go to for Original Sin after Scripture), St. Francis of Assisi (Preach to our enemies and love them Matthew 5:44, the Proto-Missionary), Pope Urban II, Pope Gregory VII, Abbot Cluny (Father and co-inventor of Chivalry), St. Jerome (Latin Vulgate and Hebrew Revival), St. Thomas Beckett (his battle for Eccleisastical courts and protection of clergy from chopping block would resurface w/ Henry VIII), and St. Junipero Serra (prayer warrior).

One of my favorite Catholic devotionals is "The Imitation of Christ" by Thomas A Kempis.

Dracorider19

• Spike
  • If you wanna be great, let greatness surround you
    • View Profile
I do not blame the media primarily for this, but I know there is not enough coverage of Christians being killed in Syria and other parts of the Middle East by ISIS and other extremist groups. Sure there are video footage of the extremists holding Christians as prisoners or brutally killing them, circulated around, but there is a great deal of those unaware of how bad the situation is for Christians living in the Middle East. Thankfully, the news of members of ISIS and Boko Haram being arrested in increasing numbers is spelling out hope, and I have faith that the United Nations will be capable of tackling the situation and sort out the outrageous violations of human rights.

I will continue to pray for those persecuted in that part of the world, and pray that the terrorists have a change of heart and stop their brutal and hateful activities.

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
Quote from: Dracorider19,Apr 28 2017 on  12:14 AM
I do not blame the media primarily for this, but I know there is not enough coverage of Christians being killed in Syria and other parts of the Middle East by ISIS and other extremist groups. Sure there are video footage of the extremists holding Christians as prisoners or brutally killing them, circulated around, but there is a great deal of those unaware of how bad the situation is for Christians living in the Middle East. Thankfully, the news of members of ISIS and Boko Haram being arrested in increasing numbers is spelling out hope, and I have faith that the United Nations will be capable of tackling the situation and sort out the outrageous violations of human rights.

I will continue to pray for those persecuted in that part of the world, and pray that the terrorists have a change of heart and stop their brutal and hateful activities.
Indeed. I think for us believers its difficult to talk about the genocide, because we don't want to become bitter and make our legacy about remembering only evil. On the other hand, the truth needs to be told. I feel a burden as you do to pray for the persecuted Church in Syria, Africa, Egypt, and many other places in Middle East and Asia. In Syria many brothers and sisters are crucified. I am glad you are praying for the torturers such as ISIS and Boko Haram, that their hearts would be soften and they too would be saved. For we must remember that Jesus said, "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you," (Matthew 5:44). It was because Christians prayed and loved their enemies that the Rome Empire was saved. Then there is the Apostle/St. Paul who killed Christians but then became a Christian (Acts 9:1-31) and became a beacon of Christ's love and shared the Gospel with Arabia, Greece, Rome, and beyond. I have read and watched reports of captors getting saved by witnessing Christians in captivity in Iran and other countries.

There are some very comforting verses in Scriptures to pray for persecuted Church:

For Those Who Suffer Torture

"This means that God's holy people must endure persecution patiently, obeying his commands and maintaining their faith in Jesus." (Revelation 14:12)

"Now if we are children, then we are heirs--heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory." (Romans 8:17)

"If anyone is destined for captivity, into captivity he will go; If anyone is to die by the sword, by the sword he must be killed." Here is a call for the perseverance and faith of the saints." (Revelation 13:10)

"You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved." (Matthew 10:22)

"So then, since Christ suffered physical pain, you must arm yourselves with the same attitude he had, and be ready to suffer, too. For if you have suffered physically for Christ, you have finished with sin." (1 Peter 4:1)

"All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us. For the more we suffer for Christ, the more God will shower us with his comfort through Christ. Even when we are weighed down with troubles, it is for your comfort and salvation! For when we ourselves are comforted, we will certainly comfort you. Then you can patiently endure the same things we suffer. We are confident that as you share in our sufferings, you will also share in the comfort God gives us." (2 Corinthians 1:1-7)

For Those Who Will Be Martyred:

"Then I heard a voice from heaven say, "Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord from now on." "Yes," says the Spirit, "they will rest from their labor, for their deeds will follow them." (Revelation 14:13)

"Then a white robe was given to each of them. And they were told to rest a little longer until the full number of their brothers and sisters--their fellow servants of Jesus who were to be martyred--had joined them." (Revelation 6:11)

"Then I saw thrones, and the people sitting on them had been given the authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony about Jesus and for proclaiming the word of God. They had not worshiped the beast or his statue, nor accepted his mark on their foreheads or their hands. They all came to life again, and they reigned with Christ for a thousand years." (Revelation 20:4)

For Those Who Can Escape:

"Now behold, an angel of the Lord stood by him, and a light shone in the prison; and he struck Peter on the side and raised him up, saying, “Arise quickly!” And his chains fell off his hands. Then the angel said to him, “Gird yourself and tie on your sandals”; and so he did. And he said to him, “Put on your garment and follow me.” So he went out and followed him, and did not know that what was done by the angel was real, but thought he was seeing a vision. When they were past the first and the second guard posts, they came to the iron gate that leads to the city, which opened to them of its own accord; and they went out and went down one street, and immediately the angel departed from him. And when Peter had come to himself, he said, “Now I know for certain that the Lord has sent His angel, and has delivered me from the hand of Herod and from all the expectation of the Jewish people.” (Acts 12:7-11)