The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Wouldnt' this make more sense?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I have always wondered why Ducky and Petrie agree to play games with large rocks and melons.  They really are incapable of playing, the best example being lbt 3 where Petrie can't even grab the large rock.  I don't understand why they don't have the gang play with a smaller rock or perhaps a seed or nut or some other object that would allow Ducky and Petrie to engage in the activities more.  Littlefoot, Cera, and Spike can play with a smaller object but  Ducky and Petrie cannot play with larger ones.  Wouldn't it be more logical for them to play with smaller objects than those huge rocks and melons?

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I guess for the creators its more realistic to have the larger three have the rocks just right, and have Ducky and Petrie struggle a bit, rather than have the objects just right for the smaller two, and way too small for everyone else.

The Friendly Sharptooth

• Ducky
    • View Profile
When I was a little kid, I used to watch bigger kids play all sorts of video games. From Golden Eye 007 to Mario Tennis, both of which referring to the Nintendo 64, I observed unsatisfied of not being part of the action. At a very young age, I was quite shy. Over time though, I began asking to join in. Sometimes I'd get a "no", but others I was accepted into the fun.

Some people liked to take advantage of me by going full force and beating me repeatedly. Others would let me have a handicap. (For Golden Eye 007, you can adjust individual's maximum health. For Mario Tennis, you can adjust your partner's artificial intelligence, so the lesser skilled player could have a better playing partner than a more experienced player.) However, I did not want such an advantage.

It is true to say I had nothing good besides a lucky shot here and there, so I didn't contribute much to the gameplay. Yet, I continued playing like that for years to come. While I only provided good slaughtering material, heh, I still continued. My reason for doing so is simple: I felt like one of them. Using a handicap, like using smaller stones and melons, would only glorify my weakness, so I wanted to participate on equal terms.

It is true that I didn't add much to the gameplay, but I felt good that I was a part of something bigger than me. Looking back over my day, I could say to myself, "I played with bigger kids today on their terms." Whether I made a fool of myself or not, it didn't matter. I had fun, and I was proud knowing that I didn't make things easier despite having such unfair situations. I could very well be wrong, but perhaps Ducky and Petrie viewed playing games with bigger kids for these, if not similar, reasons.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The Gang would be given a more babyish image.  Also, it would probably make Ducky and Petrie look weaker if smaller objects were used (i.e. not being able to "play with kids their age").

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Oh gee.  Digging up old posts are we now? :p This topic is just shy of being 2 years old! :lol

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh gee. Digging up old posts are we now?  This topic is just shy of being 2 years old! 
Hey, it's all good! :p
There's still room to toss some discussion into this topic for anyone who wants to. ;)