The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Winding Trails

Akiko · 4 · 1171

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://wahyawolf.deviantart.com
Hrm, I'm not really sure where this came from...I watched the original movie a few days ago and it's been stirring around since then, along with other ideas I've had for quite some time now. I've only let one other friend read it so far (who seemed interested, anyways :rolleyes:) and he claims it's quite good (he's a fan of the original movie much more so than the sequels. I just thought I'd get some more opinoins on it, and what a nicer place for that then here? ;)

Also, keep in mind this is really just a rough collection of ideas...I may very well change or add some things to these writings, I'm still working with thoughts and as to just why Littlefoot and the gang are in front of the rock that looks like a longneck is a surprise at this point. :P: I'm aware of the similar starting plotline to the fifth movie, however this is gonna take a much different turn. ;)

So far I'm mostly working with Littlefoot's memories, and in this story the main characters have grown a little too...not adults, not quite 'teens', perhaps something more like preteens? Not sure. :lol This story is mostly playing off the original, except for Chomper. Also, the raptor is in fact my character, Gitta, who'll make more of an appearance later on in the story too. :wow

Winding Trails
(Title might change later too  :lol:)

The lands were changing; not since the time of the great earthshakes had the environment seen such drastic transformations. The great mountains that burn shook with rage and covered the land in molten liquid. A lone figure stood atop a jagged ledge, overlooking what was once her home. She was tall, a tawny color with deep crimson markings and just a few indigo feathers adorned atop her head; her ginger eyes ever cunning and narrowed. A single massive claw tapped the earth gently as the slender raptor pondered what to do, and where to go from here. A tremble from the earth would not keep her thinking on this for long; she knew she must flee from these lands...from her home. Giving a screech of frustrastion, she turned and leapt with a slight stumble onto the nearest rocky pathway that lead to lands unknown. Where are you going, the winds seemed to howl, where can you go, and as sparks of lava danced through the air, the velicoraptor gave one last look back at the firey lands, then turned tail and ran.

Elsewhere the lands were also shifting, and the Great Valley too had suffered from the effects. Rockslides and angry trails of fire left from the mountains that burn now decorated the once stunning landscape in zigzag patterns, tearing through the lush array of green food. There was not much left to eat; as food grew more and more scarce the dinosaurs that once found themselves coexisting amongst other species peacefully began to pick up old traits that were still all too common in the world outside of the Valley. Herds stuck together, keeping to their own kinds. Slowly some of the herds left the Great Valley, certain that they would find a better place elsewhere...a place just for their kind and not overtaken with grouchy threehorns or stupid longnecks. The pure frustration from the changes in the earth and massive lack of food clouded the minds of many; immaturity not seen since the great earthshakes soon consumed the Valley. While the exact origins of the Valley were unknown to any, some herds told of their own place of legend, which was much nicer than the Great Valley, seeing as it was likely made up by some other thick headed species.

"We're safe now"
"Nobody's safe with you"

The voices seemed to echo through the empty landscape, somehow there but also not...like memories ever locked to a single moment in time, a melody in the wind. The young longneck had come to a pause in front of the rock that he'd gazed upon in wonder so long ago, the rock shaped like his own kind that his mother had told him led the way to the Great Valley. He'd grown a lot since then and now stood taller, however he was still young; still quite adolescent sized in comparison to the giant longneck rock. Nearby was a massive mountainside with a very narrow crack along the bottom, and Littlefoot stared at it intensely for a few moments as he could clearly remember just narrowly escaping the jaws of the sharptooth through that passageway. The force of the massive creature had shoved them all through and sent them tumbling head over heels on the opposite side. Thankfully, the sharptooth was far too large to get much more than it's snout through the crack. Still, it was a horrifying experience...and an awful wake up call after what was perhaps the most defining moment in the friendships of the small group. Perhaps the first night in what felt like ages that he'd managed to feel safe while he slept, embraced in the arms of those who were fast becoming like a family. The tree star. He frowned, remembering also that in the footprint of the sharptooth was also the last place he'd held close his "mother present", the tree star somehow sent to him...with a message. He never saw what became of it, in such a panic run to escape sharptooth, but the chances of any trace of it still being there were slim to none.

As the longneck continued to stare at the crack in the mountainside he was certain he saw massive teeth protruding from it, snapping wildly at the air in frail attempts to grab onto whatever it could or push it's way through. A shiver ran up his spine, that sharptooth...there was a reason it scared him more than any other, but it still puzzled him just why that one particular sharptooth stalked them. There were many sharpteeth prowling the lands at the time, watching for those who might stray from their herds. There were also many other plant eaters attempting to find their way to the Valley at the time too, split apart from their herds thanks to the earth shakes. Why. He had to wonder. Perhaps it just wanted revenge...to complete the task it had started that morning before... Littlefoot sighed, he didn't care to remember anymore past that point. Of course, the memories would come nonetheless and it was all he could do to try and distract himself enough to forget for a little while. It was of no matter now, they'd taken of that sharptooth long ago...but still the question remained, perhaps a puzzle that would never be solved.  

Sharptooth! Cera's voice and piercing scream echoed in his mind and he froze at hearing something move around him. From the corner of his eye he caught the glimpse of a shadow...was it another faded memory? No, this time it was real...something was there, someone was there. Littlefoot spun around quickly, only to give a heavy sigh of relief. His friends, Although now he saw why the shadow had frightened him, including Chomper. What an odd thing to happen; considering the utter horror and pain a sharptooth of the exact same kind had caused him. Along their trip the friends had learned that the traditional views of the adults were wrong; it takes all kinds to overcome struggles, and it was because of their teamwork that they ever made it to the Valley at all. However, while even stubborn Cera may have overcome her prejudice the very last dinosaur any of them ever expected to have as an ally was the very kind they'd spent days trying to escape. No matter how long he'd known Chomper now, the shadow of a sharptooth still struck fear...perhaps it was instinct; perhaps it was something more.

Annd that's all I have so far. Not really sure where I'm going with this, it's just a little thought, enjoy.  :unsure:

PS: Happy Easter  :^.^:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I guess I'm lost as to where or when this exactly takes place...after LBT 1 or in the middle?  If its in the middle, I love the description of it...its exactly what Bluth wants to say but couldn't put all into words on the screen.  The viewer is just left to assume such things.

Akiko

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://wahyawolf.deviantart.com
Thanks, and it takes place after the original...exact timeframe I'm not sure, but sometime after Chomper is back with them (I haven't seen all the sequels and only a few eps of the tv series keep in mind. So I can't always take all those into account.) The majority of what I have there so far (except for the first two paragraphs) are Littlefoot's memories. He's standing in front of the longneck rock and remembering these things...this concept is actually something that happens to me quite a lot, actually. Revisiting places where certain events took place, especially powerful events, can cause one to "see" a collage of memories, in a sense...at least that's how it is for me. :rolleyes: It's messy right now, so I apologize if it's a little confusing. :huh:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
With the description of the devastation and abandoning of the Great Valley it seems like this story is playing at a time after any land before time story we are going to see in a movie.
You are doing an excellent job in creating a gloomy atmosphere. I can almost see the baren lands while reading the story. I only hope that the friendship of Littlefoot and the others will stand the hard tests such times impose on them. I also wonder how much Littlefoot ever told Chomper about the fate of his mother. #
I am very fond of the opening. "The lands are changing" is what Ali said, though she probably thought of changes for the better as far as the living together of different species is concerned (actually one could almost start an own thread on Ali's statement). Such harsh times are likely to turn out the best in some and the worst in some dinosaurs. So far we have mainly seen the worst (reactivation of old racism), but we also see Littlefoot and the others didn't (yet?) fall back onto that level. I'm looking forward to read how this story continues.
One thing I'm wondering about is why they are heading back on the route of their original journey to the Great Valley. If there is any place where they are almost certain not to find any green food it is if they are moving towards the rising sun.