The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Ever been teased?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I suppose much depends on the situation with regard on how to act. However, especially if one is embarrassed it is usually very easy to see through lies, denials, or pretenses of people and when these are discovered one is all the more assailable than one might have been in case of a "Yes! So what?"
Granted, such a self-confident stand will not put off all people who would tease you about it. But I reckon there are fewer who would so so if only the matter at hand (your being an LBT fan) remains rather than the discovery of your making pretenses which may provoke attacks even from those who are not on the forefront of school bullies. In any case those who continue to bully someone even after they have been shown a bold front are definitely not the kind of people on whose opinion one needs to give a...
Unfortunately one does sometimes have to give more about things other than their opinion when dealing with bullies. Therefore you must decide yourself what is the best course of action to take, but be careful. Being caught "red handed" at lying, or pretending may make more of a butt for everyone than even so uncommon a hobby as LBT may.

Coyote_A

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.facebook.com/CoyoteMao
I never been teased for being LBT-lover and i don't really care much for what people might think of it. Animation is an art and if someone don't get it, that's his problems. :)
Seriosly, noone would consider to tease someone who bought a cartoon-like picture drawn by a worldwide famous artist, so how is that different with animated motion pictures?

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
I see what you guys are saying about the losers going nowhere in life, but there's one problem with that logic. ONLY BECAUSE OF FOOTBALL, the one kid who gives me the most crap in general and has done so ever since elementary school is going to the same college that I'm going to. It's like no matter how hard I try I can't leave the asswholes behind because one somehow always manages to follow me everywhere <_<

metadude1234

• Banana Egg
  • Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
that would be very annoying to practically have some of the %$#@ heads randomly go where you go...
facebook.com/venomwargreymon

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Ooooookay :blink:.  How big's your campus?  Chances are you'll be nowhere near him.  Oh, and look at it this way: He's going to college only 'cuz a football scholarship got him in, right?  Well, the pothead needs to keep a certain GPA (I think it's 2.5 cumulative GPA at my university, which is above a "C" average :unsure:) in order to keep his free ride.  Is he a stellar student?  If not, then he's screwed :p.  His academic probation will not only forbid him from playing football, but he will also have to pay up (or more likely, his folks') good cash to keep his sorry rear in school.  Looks like he probably won't be in too long :p.

As far as fighting goes, this is no longer high school.  At the college level, you're considered an adult, and they're not gonna treat ya like a baby.  If he tries to kick your a**, feel free to go ninja on him :nyah.  However, only use that as a last resort, as adults have the ability to file assault and battery charges against each other.  If he starts harrassing ya, file a restraining order.  No matter how sissy it may seem, it's your safety and the university will not treat y'all like babies.  You're on your own when it comes to handling others.  

With that said, try not to worry too much.  Sounds like he'll be busy enough staying out of academic probation :p.  Who knows?  He'll probably be the freshman who's seen as a real jerk and consequently duct taped to the dorm cieling :p.  Just have fun and don't worry too much about him ;).

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well I don't know about duct taping him to the ceiling because he's pretty fat (not to be mean, but he is). Yeah, he is not a good student at all, so chances are he'll probably lose his free ride and get kicked off the team. The campus is relatively small, so I might run into him a couple of times, but like you guys said I'm not going to worry too much about him. I could go ninja on him, but the only problem is because of his weight he could probably sit on me and I wouldn't be able to get up :blink:

Saft

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Whilst I've never really been teased for liking the Land Before Time as I have been teased for liking the Lion King, I have to admit that I've never really given them the opportunity to tease.  As I never mentioned my affinty with The Land Before Time.  The Lion King however was obvious and they took great delight.

I know that isn't very much the same or perhaps it is.  But all I can say is that those who tease you for liking something tend to be in three sub categories:

(1)They are just nasty pathetic bullies.

(2)They secretly, actually like the film.

(3)They don't understand it as it isn't the 'normal' thing.

It's taken me a long time to realise this and I'm only just coming to terms. But bullies are cowards and nothing more.  Don't allow them to win.  If you're happy with something, stick with it and don't let them win.  Something that I should have done but it is too late to heed my own advice.

You could always tie these bullies up and stick duck tape on them but that probably would land you into serious trouble and a visit to the police regarding assault.

Cancerian Tiger

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
My apologies if I've caused any confusion here :bang.  By all means, I was not implying that he tie up or duct tape the bully.  I was just saying that the bully may one day "get his" if he tries to be a bully in college.  By that point, folks realize they don't have to put up with that.  Anyhoo, I do not condone bullying in any fashion, and fighting should only be used as an absolute last resort.  I don't get any pleasure out of seeing others get bullied <_<.  Bullying is for cowards :anger!

LBTFan13

• Cera
    • View Profile
Haha don't worry. I don't plan on bullying anybody anytime soon. I personally will just have to learn to accept it and just ignore him. I'm not going to let him ruin my four years in college :blink:

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The thing is I never got teased,not one bit I never mention Land Before Time to anyone in person except my mother but she always knew I liked it because she got me into it in the first place.

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Man, it's been years of this, and only a few of my friends know, and for the most part they don't care either way.

Littlefoot3897

• Spike
    • View Profile
only my family and one friend know I like LBT. My family laugh at it and my friend hates LBT because its too sad  :lol

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well I've never been "teased" or "made fun of" for anything in my entire life (I don't let people do that to me), so I'm not sure about how good I can relate to the topic. But, I ordered my first LBT shirt (should be arriving soon!), and I plan on wearing it to school (I'm going to be a senior once we go back). No one really knows I like LBT, but then again I don't talk to anyone. Only my mom, two brothers (one comes on the GOF, so he doesn't count anyway), and..well.. I think I told my friends..I can't remember..But my buddy came over to my house and saw my stack of 13 LBT's and kinda laughed. He wanted to watch an LBT movie a few days later (and we would've wacthed it, but the Madea movie had just come out on DVD).

And..I don't mean to offend anyone, really..but, I think people who let themselves get "bullied" are weak. If someone comes up and like shoves you and calls you a dork for wearing an LBT shirt or something, and you don't do or say anything to defend yourself, I don't think I could respect you. If you don't stand up for what you like, you shouldn't have bought the shirt in the first place. (The shirt is just an example).

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Dude, I guarantee people attempt to defend themselves, but the situation can be incredibly overwhelming. I know a sophmore who got a broken nose for wearing a shirt with the freaking Cookie Monster on it. The shirt was even making fun of it! (I think it said "I'll eat your cookies!" or something)

Anyway, people don't usually "let" things happen to them. Sometimes it just does whether they like it or not. It's called free speech.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Quote from: jedi472,Aug 7 2009 on  02:02 PM
Anyway, people don't usually "let" things happen to them. Sometimes it just does whether they like it or not. It's called free speech.
Someone didn't just come up and hit him in the face without any notice or warning over a shirt. There was more than likely an argument beforehand. Therefore, he let it happen to him.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile

jedi472

• Jedi Knight
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Alex,Aug 9 2009 on  04:26 AM
Quote from: jedi472,Aug 7 2009 on  02:02 PM
Someone didn't just come up and hit him in the face without any notice or warning over a shirt. There was more than likely an argument beforehand. Therefore, he let it happen to him.
Dude, you have no idea how random some fights where I live really are. This happens like once a month or so. Besides, I know it was about the shirt because the dude said something like, "That's for wearing a queer shirt!".

Besides, even if they did get into an argurment, he didn't "let" himself get punched in the face, not by your definition. An arguement would imply that he said something in his own defense.

And, even if people don't say anything back, it doesn't make them weak. Sometimes, not allowing your antagonists jibes to get to you discourages further attempts. Other times people don't say anything because of the implied threat of violence, and they know they couldn't possibly win a fight against them, or even if they could, they might get arrested/detained. Sure, that makes them physically weak, at least in comparison, but I think it can be a smart move, depending on how much they stand to gain from the pain.

Still, most people do at least attempt to verbally defend their hobby, but sometimes this only encourages the agressor. People are very illogical, and predicting their actions can be impossible. They'll tease you if you beat down their arguement, beat them down literally, or just ignore them. Some are just in it for the sport, and there's nothing, short of killing them, that one can do about it.

Most people really don't "let" this thing happen to them; they at least attempt resistance in some form. Still, sometimes it's just better to let the teasing go, as it mostly stops itself when the antagonist gets bored.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be a jerkface or anything.

Alex

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I didn't mean you HAVE to say something back to them. What I meant by 'letting themselves get bullied', is that if they can't stop a person from making fun of them, or insulting you, in any way (that includes not saying anything), THEN you're weak. What makes you weak is that you have your beliefs (shirt), and you'll display them (put on the shirt), but when it comes to backing up your beliefs (why you're wearing your shirt), and you can't...like..shut someone up for saying stuff about your shirt, then..you get it. I can't think right, I have a headache.

karkovice

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Some of the people I know are aware that I like dinosaurs and dragons, but they don't know that I have an interest in the LBT world.

Yet I am not "obsessed" about it! Though I appreciate the TV episodes and movies, and write fanfics about it, I have other interests, too! Like golfing, reading, classic rock, Knight Rider and Star Trek.

Though LBT was not a subject of teasing from my peers. I was teased for other reasons. Mostly because I'm different.  :cry