The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Google vs Microsoft

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Google and MS have been at war for a long time now.....but recently Google has been making strikes directly at MS' heart.  Now Google is developing a new OS and disguising its move as a "netbook OS".  MS wasn't fooled however and they're striking back by making a new flash based search engine similar to Google.  www.bing.com is MS' attack against Google.  I'm hoping Google can beat them.  Google has always been for the people and they rely on advertisements and companies to survive.  MS jabs the common Joe and squeezes them dry to make their profits.  It may be a little early to yell "Death To Microsoft!" but if Google's new OS is a success I'll definitely be joining that bandwagon.

Vilstrup

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/~vilstrup
I'd say it depends on what falls in your taste and requiment... hell, I'm not gonna write my arguments twiche.
Depends on the person and the requiments the person needs.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I wouldn't get my hopes up. The way I heard it, Chrome (Google's OS) will be made on a Linux kernel, relying on open source applications, making it oh so reminiscent of Ubuntu and other Linux flavors. I'm sure Google and Linux fans will enjoy it, but I will be purchasing Windows 7 in October and will probably remain unphased by Chrome's release in 2010.

Edit: lol! Seems as if everything I just said was already posted in the other thread!  :cry

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
True, but the ONLY reason linux hasn't been able to lift off the ground is there's no one big to back them up.  If Google backs the Linux kernel, more companies will be willing to change and more computer manufacturers will be willing to write drivers for those systems.

Besides, just because it'll be based on the Linux kernel doesn't mean it'll be like all other versions of Linux out there.  My guess is they're making it based on the Linux kernel to save themselves time and money since the Linux community will give them the kernel free of charge.  Then they'll take it in a whole new direction and it'll become much more than any of the previous distributions of Linux.

I'm not a big Google fan, but I am impressed with what they've accomplished with Chrome in such a short amount of time.  Chrome is not and will probably never become my main browser, but the fact remains that it is pretty impressive.  I'm guessing the same will happen with their new OS.  It probably won't be as "familiar" as windows but it will have more features.  The price tag of $0 is what will make people switch.

But what about this bing.com?  It's pretty impressive.  I wonder if Google is going to switch to flash anytime soon........

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Depending on how much work the Google staff puts into it themselves, then yeah I can see it being la revolucion de Linux. Though they were quick to say that they'll be relying on open source apps, which at this point makes it seem like they're going to throw it out and let people have their way with it. If that's the case I don't think it'll gain any traction with OEM's or anyone beyond the open source community. But the OS is a whole year from release so we'll see what Google has planned for it.

As for Bing, personally I don't see a difference between it and it's predecessor, Live Search. Besides the multi-million dollar advertising campaign, that is.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well of course they have to say it's open source.  That's one of the terms when using Linux.  If they took it and hoarded the code to themselves and didn't let anyone see it, they could get sued for using an open source project to gain personal profit.  Even if they gave their OS away for free they're still going to be profiting from it because it will be surrounded by their services.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Which makes me think that if the Google staff built their own OS from the ground up, it would be more efficient and user friendly. If Google can make a Linux-esque OS that truely is different and more user-friendly, more power to 'em! But with a $0 price tag and Google saying first off they'll be using open source apps from the community, it makes me think we'll get what we pay for.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Google really wants this to succeed.  They're offering it for free for a reason.  Think about it.  If they can get everyone in the world to use Google, they'll be making the BUCKS!  Install a small 1-per-day popup application that will deliver a new ad to you every day and that'll generate them tons of money.  What they're trying to do is bridge the gap between the internet and our personal computers.  They don't want us to be so disconnected from the world as we are right now.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
A noble cause, to be sure! :D Best of luck to 'em, Microsoft is a big fish in small pond!

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
First a Search Engine, then tons of other things pop-up.  E-mail, Video Streaming, A way to make money through advertising, Website Creator, Web Browser... the list goes on.  And now their own OS? Damn you Google!  Why'd you have to make the announcement a few weeks after I pre-ordered Windows 7?

*sighs* Well I'll just see if this thing becomes big or not.  I bet it will though.  When it comes to something like this, Google really knows what it's doing.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I can't argue with a netbook OS being a clever idea.  

As for Microsoft, it's really looking like it will be able to hold its own with Windows 7 and the popularity it's been gaining over recent months.  I really feel that Google and Microsoft will remain separate entities in their own niches for awhile to come.  Nobody cares about a new search engine until it's amazingly radically better.

Nobody cares about an OS as long as it's stable, fast and runs all the programs the user wants it to.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
I can't see Google's OS making leaps and bounds and taking down the Windows world.  Fact is the software that people hold dear to themselves is more or less OS-based.  It'll be available for Windows...but not Google's OS.  If you don't want to move away from what you're familiar with, you won't go to Google's OS.  Its a Windows world and people like the programs offered on Windows.  Macs have some decent stuff too, but once again, they won't work on Google, so what 'great thing' will Google offer that will make people want to switch?  Price alone won't do it.