The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Flash Website Anyone?

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I've been studying flash technology and am working on becoming fluent in flash programming.  Just take a look at the awesomeness you can create in a flash website:

http://lbtserver.2myip.net/UniversalUploadFolder/15237.swf

I hope to eventually be able to create something similar to this.  I'm going to start making simple flash animations and I'm also going to study flash website development.  There might be a day when I can use flash in everything I do and when that day comes things are gonna change......a lot. :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
One can do a lot with flash.  Some do cartoons with it.  The bbc has done so more then a few times.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't know much about flash, but from what I at least understand about it, wouldn't it take up more space than normal HTML sites (including those with CSS) thus making them take longer to load on a slow connection?  Isn't there a rule about that with making websites?

Other than that, I think you could do some real cool stuff with flash.  So go ahead with it.  I can't wait to see what you make out of it.

I know the full potential of flash.  What I've seen done by masters of it looks pretty dang impressive.

Seriously, I can't wait to see it. :)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
TheLandBeforeTime.org takes up 1.94mb of space (minus the movies and music of course).  This website is 1.7mb.  Sure it takes longer to initially load, but the ENTIRE website is loaded in one go so after the initial loading nothing else has to be loaded.  Everything can be accessed instantaneously.  That's pretty sweet in my opinion. :D

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Oh, and there's another plus to using a totally flash based website.  Even if someone is a master at HTML, CSS, and Javascript they still can't steal your code.  Sure they can download the .swf file but they can't edit it unless they can decompile and edit it using a very expensive and difficult program.

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Let me know when you master ActionScript 3, I'm stuck on some programming. :(

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Let me know when you master ActionScript 3, I'm stuck on some programming. sad.gif

I haven't touched flash in quite awhile.  I did some flash editing back in 2001 when I was 10 years old, but nothing major.  I've forcefully decompiled flash applications and messed around....but I didn't know what I was doing and was just screwing around mostly.  It's going to take me quite awhile to learn flash.  I've never even seen the Adobe Flash CS4 UI (user interface) yet and I have basically no idea what I'm up against here.

I can't be a master at absolutely everything.  Just because it involves a computer doesn't mean I can do it.  I've never run into something I can't do yet, but there's a possibility that I may be faced with such a scenario one day.  My point is, I haven't even looked at this yet so no promises.  Learning new things from scratch is both a fascinating and frightening process all rolled into one.  I make no promises that I'll be able to make something like this anytime soon.  I have the feeling it's going to be extremely complicated............

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Flash is pretty complicated and for a while I was having issues with flash pages in Opera and hardware acceleration issues in Firefox.  I've figured out the issues in Firefox.  Most people have no clue how flash works, but it makes the pages look, well, flashy. :p

Grungecat

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: landbeforetimelover,Jul 29 2009 on  06:06 AM
Let me know when you master ActionScript 3, I'm stuck on some programming. sad.gif

I haven't touched flash in quite awhile.  I did some flash editing back in 2001 when I was 10 years old, but nothing major.  I've forcefully decompiled flash applications and messed around....but I didn't know what I was doing and was just screwing around mostly.  It's going to take me quite awhile to learn flash.  I've never even seen the Adobe Flash CS4 UI (user interface) yet and I have basically no idea what I'm up against here.

I can't be a master at absolutely everything.  Just because it involves a computer doesn't mean I can do it.  I've never run into something I can't do yet, but there's a possibility that I may be faced with such a scenario one day.  My point is, I haven't even looked at this yet so no promises.  Learning new things from scratch is both a fascinating and frightening process all rolled into one.  I make no promises that I'll be able to make something like this anytime soon.  I have the feeling it's going to be extremely complicated............
Well of course it'll take awhile! If anyone was a master at everything involving computers right away, well I'd imagine they would be very wealthy! The user interface is quite literally the exact same as CS3, if you've ever taken a gander at that.

Flash is actually very easy to learn, in my opinion. I'm by no means an expert, but in my case, after I had gotten the whole picture I had a general idea of how most things are done, and it's just debugging from there on. :)