The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Asking LBT production crew members for information

Hypno · 358 · 48237

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yes, it was the wrong topic. Sorry for the mistake. :bang Anyway, here's the message again.

Dear ...,

Due to the extremely long time it takes to make an animated feature film -- especially back in the '80s when many of the cels were still hand-drawn, we began work on the original LBT in 1985. Over the three years of development, many scenes came and went and some sequences were actually animated but later cut for various reasons -- most of which had to do with pacing.
In the very beginning, Steven Spielberg and George Lucas conceived the film as having no dialogue to keep it more realistic. As we worked on the story, we realized that it would be very hard to keep a young audience's attention without the characters being able to speak and show personalities beyond what we could convey through movement alone. Once we agreed that the dinosaurs had to speak, it became much easier for their personalities to take shape: Ducky's exuberance, Cera's stubbornness, Spike's laziness, etc.
There are two cut sequences that I do remember. One involved trying to show Cera's softer side so we understood that her bravado and toughness were a front to allow her to assert herself in the pack of guys. The sequence had her lagging behind the others when she came upon a flower growing up out of the cracked earth. She stopped, nuzzled it, sniffed it, reveled in it -- and then when Littlefoot turned back to look for her, she instantly STOMPED on the flower and kicked it away to keep from being accused of being "soft." Ultimately Steven felt that the sequence slowed the story down and wasn't needed.
The other piece (and somewhere in my files I have the original storyboards for this bit,) was a little comic relief involving a mama bird feeding cherries to her babies. The baby birds bobble and fumble the cherry knocking it from one to the other; it was just a light moment to go between all the challenges our heroes were facing on their journey. That, too, got cut because it didn't actually progress the plot and everyone decided it was better to keep the story clipping along for the young attention span.

Hope this is of interest to you and your group.

Best,

Stu Krieger
Professor
Department of Theatre, Film & Digital Production
University of California, Riverside
INTS 2122

As for Hypno's comment on the other thread, I, too, found that odd. I'm not sure if he's speaking of a similar scene than the one we have but it would be odd to have two such scenes in the film, though. :unsure:

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
(reaction on answer is in different topic)

So, will we try to carefully ask him about if it is another scene, or even to publish these storyboards? >:3

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I certainly don't think it'll hurt. :) I don't think he would have mentioned those storyboards if he didn't want us to know about them. I'll try to present my answer here tomorrow and perhaps send it the day after. :smile

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, here's my answer to Krieger. I also added a question of whether he knows about other potential storyboards but I don't know whether we should get our hopes high on that one. However, is my message.

Thank you very much for the answer! It’s really great to hear about the making of the film and we truly appreciate the bits of information you shared. In fact, both of the scenes you described were ones we’ve never heard about! However, we’d be interested to see, if you only are willing to share them, the storyboards you mentioned for the second scene as they’d deepen our knowledge of how that sequence would have looked like. It’s rather fun that there actually is a scene with the baby pteranodons in the finished film so were they intended to be a recurring comical relief? These storyboards are of incredible worth to us as they’re the closest we can ever hope of seeing what the lost parts of this amazing film actually were so I’d also like to ask if you have any ideas where some of the other storyboards of the cut scenes might have gone to?

If I hear your opinions quickly, I might be able to even send this today! :lol  :lol Also, Sneak, has there been news about your script?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:47:40 PM by Sovereign »

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Perfectly done, as always ;)
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Still hasn't script yet.

Well, still, I think scene with baby fliers sounds SO similar to scene we all know in the film, so I dunno, should we tell about it that we are so amazed to hear something we "have never seen before". :) Just a thought. I think we should only carefully ask if these flier characters were supposed to be recurring, appearing between tense scenes of gang's journey.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'm sorry if I was hurried too much but the message is already sent. Now, all we can do is hope for an answer... :^.^:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 04:14:35 PM by Sovereign »

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, Hypno answered and to be honest, I seldom get major correction requests so I thought it was okay... :oops  :bolt I promise to wait for your comment too in the future.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, that certainly was fast. This isn't the answer I was hoping for but it's nice that he at least answered.

Hi ...,

Unfortunately, I do not feel comfortable sharing the storyboards because I don't own the rights to them. That's between Spielberg, Lucas, Don Bluth and the last thing I want to do is get in trouble with any of them.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, that is understandable. I'm glad that he responded so quickly though, and that he responded at all again in the first place. Who's next on the list?
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Oooh, nice! New info! Though I feel like it would have made more sense for Cera to eat the flower :lol

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thank you!
These copyrights... гг Dammit, I want Sharptooth eat them all so people see storyboards... XD

btw, just got script. I"M IN HEAVEN

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Welll... is there anything interesting? :)

As for Krieger's remark about the storyboards, I wonder if we should mention to him that Pudleiner released his own storyboards? At this point I don't have more contact ideas but I'll try to look for more soon enough.

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I don't think we should mention it to him.
JUst thanking for info about scenes and policies that don't let us see LBT scenes. :(

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
The script discussion is for another topic (it is definitely a huge thing but we seem to have gotten a lot of answers about the first film than we could ever want) so why don't we try and ask a person who worked on the sequels if they know anything about deleted scenes in the sequels? And maybe they have some stuff to share like concept art (OR a script!?) :)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
That could certainly be an idea. ;) Even though I fear finding the long-term screenwriters' or other leading sequel creators' contact info could be a bit difficult as most of them are still in business. I can take a look but do you have any ideas at this point?

Edit: My first look at the creators of the sequels wasn't exactly encouraging. A few of them are on LinkedIn but other than that, I didn't find too much at this point. :(
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 04:09:44 PM by Sovereign »

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Sovereign on Feb 28 2018, 02:53:31 PM
Edit: My first look at the creators of the sequels wasn't exactly encouraging. A few of them are on LinkedIn but other than that, I didn't find too much at this point. :(

There were some creator's sites that I did find a few months back. I'll have to look again to see which ones :) I think I had looked mostly at storyboard artists, but I had viewed other artists too, there could be some with contact info, some sites I remember being pretty filled with contact so I'll take a look.

Edit: Found one, Mike Sosnowski, storyboard artist for the second movie. http://www.sos-now-skistoryboards.com/my_storyboards.html
There is a contact link on the site.

Edit 2: Another, Robin Conover, storyboard artist for the sixth movie. http://www.animationtrainingacademy.com/robin-conover1.html

Edit: 3: Another, Llyn Hunter, storyboard artist for LBT XIV.
https://llyn.deviantart.com/
http://www.llynsplace.com/

Edit 4: Larry Houston, storyboard artist for XIV as well. https://www.larryhouston.com/
Also, Fred Gonzales, another XIV storyboard artist. https://www.fredgonzales.com/
Finally, Robert Sledge, XIV storyboard artist. https://www.freelanced.com/robertsledge
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 05:03:05 PM by Hypno »

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I searched for Sosnowski myself but apparently I should have looked harder. Those hyphens seemed to have ruined the search. :p In any case, these are great finds Hypno. I'll certainly do the messages for some of these people in the coming days but should we ask anything else in addition to potential deleted scenes? I guess I could also add the normal question about the overall production of the films and if there was something memorable they'd want to share with us. Thanks a lot for these suggestions! :yes