The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Doc showcase - June 2021

rhombus · 11 · 1861

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
This month we would like to welcome a dinosaur of few words!  Greetings, Doc, would you like to say anything?

“....”  :DocSerious

Um, right.  I should have expected that.  :taunttroll

----------------

In this topic please feel free to discuss Doc as a character, to share your own creations (fanfics or fanart) concerning this character, or to mention some of your favorite fanworks of others involving him.  For a full set of rules please see the 2021 Monthly Character Showcase topic but keep in mind that this is meant to be fun as opposed to any sort of contest.

I will go ahead and get the discussion started with the following questions:

1. What are your general impressions of Doc as a character?

2. Do you see Doc’s portrayal in the television episode “The Lone Dinosaur Returns” as a logical development of the character, or do you see it as being incongruent with his portrayal in the sixth film?

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
My general impression? He's a really cool character  :DocSerious

The line "My footsteps were planted on the wandering trail long ago. I’m too old to change now." really stuck with me when I saw it. I never saw this movie as kid so I wasn't like I had to grow into understanding that line; I just heard it and immediately felt what he meant. It can really be hard to change your ways, especially if they've carried you so far. I'd like to see more of him outside of the episode, but c'est la vie.  :OhYou

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

Hammy

• Chomper
    • View Profile
As far as the first question, I really like Doc myself. I'm naturally drawn to your quiet loners who have more to them than they let on. I'd really have liked to hear Doc talk about where he's been and what he's seen from his perspective, as a point of opposition to the tall tales surrounding him. It wouldn't entirely tie in to the ideas of the movie, ie, that whether they're wholly true or not, stories are part of how we figure out who we are and how to approach the world and how to relate to others. Still, I'd have enjoyed the addition.

I don't really have much to say about his TV show appearance, though, it's always interested me that he points out that Chomper is likely to become at least something of a threat to his friends. Whether he's "mean" or not, he's a flesh-eater and he will need a lot more substantial nutrition as he gets bigger. It's not really explored much, but interesting nonetheless. Honestly, that could make for a whole story of its own, with Chomper and the gang coming to terms with the realities of the world with Doc's input and experience. Probably would need more than that, but general idea seems neat to me. Also kind of interesting that Doc was introduced the very movie after Chomper made his second appearance, and the gang even managed to get along with his parents alright there. "It's a good thing sharpteeth aren't very smart" is kind of an odd shift after we learn that they have families and can talk among each other just like leafeaters.

Also, maybe it's just me, but I'd die of happiness at a LBT character in the same loner-who-can-fight as Doc, but either a therizinosaurus or a deinocheirus. Maybe less wild west hero and more sword-master archetype, but someone with a similar attitude who's seen a lot of fights in his or her time. I like the diplodocus angle, I really do, but I can't help but imagine. Especially since I've been so disappointed with therizinosaur characters like the Yellow Bellies and Wild Arms. That's kind of another thing about Doc. Most of the new characters introduced in later movies are largely cute or comic relief, Mo, the tinysauruses as a whole, Guido. Not to say there's anything wrong with those characters, but I always liked how stoic Doc was among introduced characters. He's not exactly friendly, but he's not a threat either. He's clearly a good guy, but he's old and quiet and doesn't open up easily. It's a nice bit of variety.

Mouse-a-saur

• A Winchesterian Paradox
  • Member+
  • Petrie
  • Supernaturally Yours
    • View Profile
The story idea you mentioned with Doc and Chomper sounds really fascinating, Hammy — that’d be a cool thread to explore for sure.  :OhYou

~*And I'm something called a Jared Padalecki*~

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile
1. What are your general impressions of Doc as a character?

I frankly thought Doc was a cool Clint Eastwood Fistful of Dollars character. How much you like him depends on if you really believe him to be The Lone Dinosaur or not.

2. Do you see Doc’s portrayal in the television episode “The Lone Dinosaur Returns” as a logical development of the character, or do you see it as being incongruent with his portrayal in the sixth film?

I found his TV potrayal to be antithetical to his film potrayal. In The Secret of Saurus Rock he is a loner and hemit, in the series he settles down with a wife. What made Doc unique is he had no herd ambitions, he was like a traveling Monk-a-saurus or Pilgrim-a-saurus. In addition, Doc’s fury and threats toward Chomper seemed out of character. Doc fought Sharpteeth when they attacked, he was not bent on Sharpocide. The fact Chomper speaks Leafeater, and is pals with the Gang would have taken Chomper off Doc’s radar as a threat.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2021, 10:14:23 AM by Gentle Sharptooth »

“The Past is Gone..” -Dream On, Aerosmith

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile
The writers really thought hard when coming up with his name :petrieLOL.

sordessie

• Ruby
    • View Profile
I always liked Doc. I rewatched the tv show episode recently and both like and don't like parts of his portrayal. I agree with what was said earlier, that his anger at Chomper was a little weird, pretty out of character. But I do think him mentioning that things could change makes sense. I do like that he found someone to be with, I just think it's such a quick character progression, but since it's a tv episode it just leaves room for us to fill in what happened with them between his first and second visit to the Valley.

Not Doc related but I do at least feel like the episode was the best use of the old sequel tracks. The episodes reuse music from the sequels with new words A LOT and often the words just don't fit- they don't follow the same meter. The one worked here though, storywise and just in general. Nevermind that most of the words were the same.  :petrieLOL

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Doc.. for Doc Holiday, the fastest gunslinger at the time. ;)

RainbowFaceProtege

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • “Keep asking questions, it sharpens the mind…”
    • View Profile

Actually, I always thought it was because he was a Diplodocus...

Gentle Sharptooth

• Sharplord
  • Member+
  • Cera
  • Captive of Grief
    • View Profile

Hmm.. perhaps its both. :)

LittleDas75

• Member+
  • Petrie
  • The Gang of Five's Yellow Belly fan
    • View Profile

Hmm.. perhaps its both. :)
@RainbowFaceProtege Exactly.