The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Reseacrh Project

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
If your email is stricksa@aol.com then check your spam folder.  It probably ended up there....

Oh, and for future assistance, I'll add your AIM name to mine (ArvensNY) this way if you need further assistance you might be able to get it in real time.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I haven't gotten a pm from you yet Littlefoot. I'll check my email though.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Yeah, he sent it all to our email addresses.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I still haven't got it :(
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
Hey guys!

Apologies for not being a round. Stuff to do, places to see and all that malarky! PMSL :lol So far, I've got replies back from Roger, Malte, Cyberlizard, Kenji and Action9000. I can't say I'm too sure what's happened with yours Nick and F-14? Did you get an email from me at all?  :unsure: If you got the email but not the attachement, then perhaps something naffed up in transit. I'll send you two another one. If the attachment failed to show up, perhaps neither of you have a program that can read a MS Word .doc file. If that's the case, I'll save it again in a more generic format (.rtf or something). Or, even moreso, maybe my mail got sent directly to your junk/spam box. If that's the case, when I send it again, check there too! Keep an eye out for them in your mail boxes (inbox or otherwise).

Cheers!

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I got the questionair finally.  I filled it out and emailed it to you.  Let me know if you got it. :yes

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Thanx F-14!

Glad to hear that it finally got through to you. Apologies for not actually attaching the questionnaire to the first mail. My bad on that one!  :rolleyes: I havent heard anything just yet but I'll give it a little time. Just make sure you save a copy for yourself just in case it all goes peet-tong!

Look forward to seeing your responses! :D

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I got it, and I'm working on it...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey guys!

Major apologies for my recent absence. I've been working on my dissertation solidly for the past couple of weeks and I've not really had much time to myself. Which ultimately meant that I couldn't post up for a while. But that's all changed now! IT'S FINALY ALL IN!!! Handed it in last Friday (12th), final word count 11,829! I'm finally free of the blasted thing! LOL  :DD Feel so light and free now I've finally done it all! LOL. It didnt go without it's fair share of troubles though. I had to construct an artefact demonstrating an aspect of my research. Ended up making an interactive CD-ROM on animation techniques used to establish "Effective Animation". I was up for 29 consecutive hours re-doing it after I lost all my work with a file corruption within a few days of the submission date! I was not best pleased! :mad

I just wanna thank you all for taking time out to complete my questionnaire those of you who did. I complied all the results and drew up my conclusions that I put into a specific section of my report. As stated in the questionnaire greeting, no names were mentioned and all data will be deleted prior to the hand in of my project (unfortunately, I have to under the Data Protection Act as I'm not planning to file it and it is all NON-EMPERICAL research data).

If people want, I'll can put up people's responses on here for people to read so you can compare who wrote what. But that's down to each of you individually to get in touch with me as I'm not allowed to publicise information without concent. I have all your Qs saved electronically so if you want them just say so...but they will have to be deleted from MY hard drive before the end of uni, (in about 2-3weeks time).

What say ye? ;)

And thanks again!  :^.^:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Littlefoot1616 what have been saying since day one?  :lol:  Show 'em (without giving names out) so it'll be like an independent survey of sorts....part of the fun is not knowing who said what (though you can sometimes guess).

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Sure Roger it's all cool on your end I know...but I need the concent of the others in writing. I'm afraid you can't speak generically for everyone coz I didn't give them to you to distribute. If that was the case then that's all fine but since I gave it out to everyone individually, I have to have written concent from them personally. I'm gonna send out PMs to everyone just in case they havent see (or just cant be bothered to post a reply). Either way, by the end of the month...all data streams (both paper and electronic) will be destroyed unless the university wants to keep them and I doubt they will given my findings.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
As for me, you surely put everything up I sent you. Nothing that I wrote for your project needs to be kept secret from the GOF. :)

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
LOL! :lol:  I'm a little confused.   :huh:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
    • View Profile
Cyber, do you want the answers you put in Littlefoot's survey to be posted here?  Your name wouldn't be next to your responses.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
For some reason I still don't get it.   :huh:

Mirumoto_Kenjiro

• Cera
    • View Profile
You got my OK sign, Littlefoot1616!

I'm glad your work is done.

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Now I get it. :lol:  You are OK to use my answers.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Well...looks like that's an all thumbs up then.

I'll get on it ASAP...can't do it now. Got a deadline to hand in today so later people!

Thanks again for all your help you guys. I'll share my findings with you that I put in my write up along with your responses. Look out for them!

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Hey guys!

Since those who filled out my questionnaire so whole-heartedly agreed to have their responses posted up on the forum. As promised here they are, no names are being mentioned but if you wish to announce your responses then by all means...that's your decision:

Section B – You and Animation

4. What’s the first thing that comes to mind when asked about “Animation”?

CGI, cartoons

5a). Do you watch any kinds of animation (on TV, films, internet etc.)?

Yes X     No

If answered No, please proceed to Section C
If answered Yes, please continue to Q5b)

5b). How often?

Very Rarely     Rarely

Occasionally     Often

Everyday X

5c). Who are you most likely to view them with?

No one/Alone X  Parent/Guardian

With Partner     Your Children

Siblings     Other

Friends

6a) Do you consider animation to be purely for children or for a younger audience?

Yes     No X

6b). Please explain briefly:

Because there are a lot of animated adult and teen stuff on TV and the Internet, ex/ South Park, Aeon Flux, Tripping the Rift, The Simpsons, Futurama, Family Guy, etc.

7a). Please name 3 animated CHARACTERS you like or are familiar with:

1: - Six (Tripping the Rift)
   2: - Bender (Futurama)
   3: - Peter Griffin (Family Guy)

7b). Specify one key feature that you like about them?

1: - Sexy
   2: - hilarious
   3: - hilariously stupid

8a). Please name 3 ANIMATIONS you like (these can be feature length films, cartoons, short pieces, internet cartoons, shows, series etc.)

1: - The Land Before Time
   2: - Dinosaucers
   3: - Red vs. Blue

8b). What do you find most appealing about each of the examples given above?

1: - I love dinosaurs!
   2: - Because it involves dinosaurs in a science fiction setting
   3: - Extremely hilarious and set in my most favourite video game saga

8c). If possible, name the most memorable scene/quote from one of the animations named, specifying the number (if unable to recollect, please write NONE, do not leave blank):

None

9a). Please name up to 3 animations that you DO NOT like (if none apply, please write N/A and proceed to Q10, do not leave blank):

1: - Fairly Odd Parents
   2: - Rugrats
   3: - Kim Possible

9b). What do you NOT like about them?

1: - It’s terribly animated and involves the stuff I hate, fairy god parents

2: - Talking babies???

3: - N/A

10. What do you think makes a good animated piece (Please mark three in order of importance 1 – Most Important, 2 – Fairly Important, 3 – Least Important)?

Animation Style/Quality  Sound Effects
   Voice Overs/Actors   3  Gags/Jokes/Antics
   Music      Memorable Scenes
   Story/Plot 2    Catchphrases    Characters    Realism 1
   Renown Figurehead  Surrealism
   (e.g. famous director)  Other (please specify)

Section C – The History and Future of Animation

11a). How do you think animation has changed over the past few years? (Right from, the early black and white cartoons to more recent animations)

A change in visual quality and voice acting, but the quality in kid animation has decreased since the late nineties.  Most other animations I think have changed in voice acting and animation, things are starting to be a little more CG.

11b). Do you think it has changed for the better?   Yes  X     No

11c). Please explain briefly:
As technology progresses, so does entertainment.

12. What do you think animation will be like in the future?
Mostly or completely CG, in the next decade 2D animation will be out dated.

13. If you have children, would you let them watch animations that you did as a child?

Yes   X  No

14. If possible, please name any animations you know that have been in the press for negative reasons: The Land Before Time: A positive and charming atmosphere, Looney Toons: Grew up watching them, perfect for young kids.  Other animations are not applicable.

Section D – Just for fun!

This section is just a little insight into your knowledge on animation, the studios and their effectiveness of character portrayal. This section is not compulsory but it would be beneficial to the research if you participated. Please don’t feel pressurised to think of an answer for every single prompt. If you cannot think of an answer, simply write DNK (do not know) in the field.

15. For each of the following animation studios, name one piece of animation (cartoon or film) that they have released (please name the title):

Disney   DNK   
DreamWorks   DNK   
Nickelodeon   DNK
MGM   DNK   
20th Century Fox   Titan A.E.   
UPA   DNK
Warner Bros.   The Animatrix   
Paramount   DNK   
Hanna Barbera   The Jetsons
Pixar   Incredibles   
Universal   The Land Before Time   
Marvel   Spider Man
Manga   DNK   
Sullivan Bluth Studios DNK
Max Fleischer   DNK

16. For each of the following “buzzwords”, name an animated piece or a character that you think best fits it:

Cat   Sylvester   
Robot   Gus
Dog   Butch   
Prehistoric   Littlefoot
Mouse   Jerry   
Sword   DNK
Duck   Daffy   
Magical   DNK
Fish   DNK   
Clay   Gromit
Alien   Chode   
Fast   The FLash