The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Microsoft to offer Windows 7 "Release Candidate"

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
http://www.mndaily.com/blogs/tech-corner/2...-windows-7-year

Interesting. First the beta, and now this. I don't usually pay attention to what a new operating system goes through before release, but it seems Microsoft really wants to get this one right. Looks like they payed attention to the complaints about Vista.

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile

Mumbling

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I can reach the normal site, but not this link in particular. Firefox just gives me a networktime-out on the link you gave me, while the homepage does work(slow, but works)

NeoGenesis005

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Thats a offer we all can't refuse but I would rather wait for the full release.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
With my spare drive, I'll be able to test this out when the time comes.  Who knows how great it will be? :^.^:

Oh, and I bet LBTlover will be upset that he's going to miss out on the moment it comes out. :P:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I have heard good things about windows 7.  It will be interesting if it is better then Vista.  I'm not having any problems with Vista myself, but some folks are from what I hear.

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
i have just reformatted to the release candidate of Win7.

even though the interface is similar to Vista, Windows 7 feels so much more stable and robust than Vista does, it seems to run stuff better than XP or Vista can as well.

i have hated Vista from day one, but i am well excited over 7. i would recommend everyone who has Vista, to reformat to 7 if its not a huge hassle, as the RC will be usable til March 2010. i will be using Win7 RC as my main OS till the retail of 7 comes out :D

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Just be careful regarding driver issues...some things may not work properly in the switch.  Backup Backup Backup!

Tyrannosaur

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
windows 7 shouldnt have any issues with drivers and such. it has the compatibility mode and all Vista drivers are supposed to work with it. so anything that works on Vista should work fine on 7 :).

i backed up all my important stuff before i reformatted anyway. so, as long as others do that, its all good xD

Lillefot

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I'm willing to try Microsofts new little toy.
Problem is, when I try to download it, the page jams.  :p
Besides, I won't put any new OS into my machine.
I rather wait until I buy a new one, and by that time; W7 might be out in the stores.
But I think that OSX will be the next OS for me anyway.
Do well. Live well. And dress very well.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
I'm considering using it on my laptop but I'm going to test it out on a partition of a desktop computer I have first, before I cause too much damage.  The laptop is only a couple months old so I don't really have anything vital on it yet and I do have the disk to reinstall Vista so I think its worth the risk.

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Are you sure you can reinstall Vista if you jump to 7RC?  I thought about playing around, but my dad says you lose a valid license by putting on 7RC, so you can't go back to what you had before.  Needless to say I'm not willing to give up good licenses and I don't have a spare system just collecting dust.

Tobe

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Why reformat to try 7rc?  Just use virtual consoles.   I need to ditch the other 7 beta and grab this thing.  I'll tell my thoughts when I get time to put it through "The Paces".

~Tobe

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Well its installed and running fine.  I've found no compatibility issues so far, but then again I only have so much on this laptop since its only a month old.  And Petrie I don't know if you want to risk installing it over Vista.  This laptop came with a disk that can reinstall vista is something were to happen to it, so I'm going through this with minimal risk.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Yeah, I heard about this.  I'll try it in a bit.  I'm in no rush right now.  I've been through enough change already lately.  But it does sound promising.  I might write a review for y'all when I can get around to it.

raga

• Petrie
    • View Profile
You should definetly try it when you get the chance LBTL.  My only complaint so far is that startup has been really slow.  I've blocked a few programs that used to open on startup and thats helped, but still, its kinda odd.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
You should definetly try it when you get the chance LBTL. My only complaint so far is that startup has been really slow. I've blocked a few programs that used to open on startup and thats helped, but still, its kinda odd.

Ughhhh!  WTF?  The beta started up so freaking fast!  That's one of my biggest complaints about Vista is how slow it takes to start up. :( Do you have any external hard drives plugged in?  That can really slow up startup.

TheNumberOneShmuck

• Spike
    • View Profile
I noticed the startup time increase myself. I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but the Beta didn't recognize my other hard drive for some reason, and now this one does. Also seems slower in general than the Beta, although it's about the same, maybe a little faster (startup is faster for sure) than XP, so I would imagine Vista users would still see a speed increase.

Also this weird stuff where, coming out of sleep mode, my computer gives me this coming-out-of-a-coma kinda thing where I can move my cursor around, but the active program won't react at all. I float over the close window button, it won't glow. It's weird, like the computer still recognizes input from my mouse and probably my keyboard, but the program won't. It goes away after about 10-15 seconds, and hasn't given me any big problems yet, but I just don't get it. XP never gave me that, with SP1, 2, or 3. The W7 Beta didn't give me that. Also, it seems to happen or not happen randomly when just the screen goes to sleep, too.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I think I'll have to rely on myself to reach a final verdict.  I'll install Windows 7 RC onto a computer I know is working 100% and set it up to be the best it will ever be.  Because I want the results of my test to be untainted by a super computer, this will be my test machine:

*3.2ghz P4 Processor with Hyperthreading
*1gb DDR2 5300 Ram
*250gb SATA2 Hard Drive
*256mb Graphics (I don't want to blame slowness on lack of a good graphics card now do I?)
*Dual DVD-RW Drives (I still need to take those out of there.  They're being wasted on a P4 :lol )