The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Computer freeze up

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Well sort of. What happens is that the computer partially freezes, where I am not able to use the bar normally located at the bottom (the one with the start button). I can't use Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up Task Manager. By shere luck I was able to get it open this time but it could only close down programs, not reopen them, and even then it was delayed. None of the programs were taking up much CPU (like 5% or less) and no matter what I closed down, even Explorer, the problems still persisted. I am ultimately forced to reboot the computer via pushing and holding the button. There's nothing else I can do. And this has happened to me multiple times recently, without warning. The only thing I can say ties them together is that twice I was watching videos on Youtube.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Has your computer been acting like this before? Are you sure you don't have a virus or something?

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It only recently started. As for a virus, I don't think so. I've ran scans with my antivirus and Malwarebytes and nothing. It's also a 64-bit computer so the chances of it being a rootkit issue is very low (64-bits are more resistant, currently, to rootkits).

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
It only recently started. As for a virus, I don't think so. I've ran scans with my antivirus and Malwarebytes and nothing. It's also a 64-bit computer so the chances of it being a rootkit issue is very low (64-bits are more resistant, currently, to rootkits.
I use spyware doctor for my virus problems

Have you defragmented/cleaned your disk? Very basic but you know.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I haven't defragmented yet. I was going to do that but I kept forgetting about it.

Campion1

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I haven't defragmented yet. I was going to do that but I kept forgetting about it.
That would be a safe bet, although it may not fix your problem 100%. Whenever I have a problem with my computer or anything else, I sometimes look it up on google.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I look stuff up on Google as well. The only reason I don't with this is because I don't know what's causing the issue in the first place. I could look up information on computer freezes or slowdowns but that would be a very broad search.

2007excalibur2007

• Member+
  • Petrie
    • View Profile
You could try doing a System Restore and restore to the point BEFORE you started having this problem. That's what I usually do as a last resort for these kind of problems. Do it in Safe Mode though, just to be safe. (no pun intended, lol :p)

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Don't waste your time with defragmenting unless it's been a year or two.  Windows doesn't really need to be defragmented anymore unless you're putting on and taking off HUGE amounts of data in one go.  As for your problem, many different things can cause a freeze up like you described.  In this case, I believe it's software related.  Try running things through the Chrome browser (as it has the least amount of hiccups) such as YouTube videos and the like and see if you can duplicate the problem.  If not, go back to Opera or whatever browser you were using and try to cause the problem again.  Until you know relatively what's causing the problem, it's going to be difficult to track down.

Now if it just happens all the time and randomly then it's likely either a case of malware or it could be hardware related.  If that's the case, unplug everything but the essential equipment from your computer (mouse, KB, monitor, power) and try again.  If the problem still crops up then it might be another issue related to internal hardware.  If you're able to, remove the case and check to see that all fans are blowing (including the one in the power supply).  You can verify if the one in the power supply is working by feeling for airflow outside the case.

Run MemTest to see how your memory checks out.  Run it for several hours at least; the longer you can, the better.  Get a temperature monitoring program and check temperatures.  Good programs will let you know what's normal for your CPU compared to the amount of heat that's radiating off of yours.  The difficult nature of the issues makes it almost impossible to find the cause.  "My computer freezes" is a call I get on a daily basis and it really doesn't help anything because the client rarely took notes on when it happens and when it started happening.  If they had, my life would have been easier, their bill would have been much lower, and the likelihood of me actually being able to solve the problem in a reasonable amount of time would be significantly higher.

EDIT:  When it freezes, check the hard drive indicator light.  Is it solid (meaning staying on) or blinking rapidly?  If so, take notes on how long it stays like that.  If it stays solid for minutes at a time then it might be either related to your hard drive or it's software related.