The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Another "what if" topic...

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
  • Guess who back? Back again?
    • View Profile
Just a topic I decided to make for fun.

We all know that dinosaurs are extinct creatures from Earth, a planet now overruled by us humans. Scientists have found...

ENOUGH WITH THE BORING HISTORY LESSON! GET TO THE POINT, VARMINT!

Alright, alright. Anyways, I was just thinking...what if our favorite dino buddies actually interacted with us at some point? Now before you say "No! That's impossible!", just hear me out for a second. Recently, I've been thinking about this subject, and I was wondering what if the characters actually interacted with us, like, say, on the TV series? If this could ever happen, what could you come up with for some...say, plot summaries?

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That would be a bit strange because they won't look like in the animated film, will they?
Of course it would be cool to meet them and talk to them, but how can they speak to so much fans? That would be like when Justin Bieber writes autogramms :p :DD :nyah
Inactive, probably forever.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Ducky123,Feb 11 2013 on  03:20 PM
That would be a bit strange because they won't look like in the animated film, will they?
Of course it would be cool to meet them and talk to them, but how can they speak to so much fans? That would be like when Justin Bieber writes autogramms :p :DD :nyah
You got that right!  :lol However, the point of this topic is sadly misunderstood. I didn't mean "meeting the dinos" like a few topics have already given out. I simply want people to give out their opinions on what it would be like if the dino buddies interacted with us on...say, the TV series, and what possible plots could occur for such times.

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
In that case we would be interacting with beings that are purely our own creation, really images of ourselves in the guise of cartoonish dinosaurs. This reminds me of the problem of interaction of sentient AI with human bengs. A theme that is gaining ever more currency as computers become ever faster and smarter, and may one day become reality, in the form of interacting with sentient AIs in realistic virtual worlds.

You could write a decent story about the Gang interacting with our world, but I reckon you would need to be truly imaginative to make it stand out among the many stories which explore similar themes.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Hmmm... What would I do... I know. I'd present then with appropriate gifts.

I'd give Littlefoot his Eagle Scout badge, 'Leaves of Grass' by Walt Whitman, and the 'Joshua Tree' album by U2
I'd give Cera a pair of sunglasses, 'Catcher in the Rye' by JD Salinger, and the 'Who's Next' album by the Who
I'd give Petrie a pair of pilot's goggles, 'The Wizard of Oz' By F. Baum, and the 'Uprising' album by Bob Marley
I'd give Ducky a teddy bear, 'In Praise of Folly' by Desiderius Erasmus, and the 'Rumors' album by Fleetwood Mac
I'd give Spike a guide to American Sign Language, 'Walden' by Henry David Thoreau, and the 'Aerial Boundaries' album by Michael Hedges
I'd give Chomper tofu, 'Oliver Twist' by Charles Dickens, and the 'Rubber Soul' album by the Beatles
I'd give Ruby a kaleidoscope, 'Ulysses' by James Joyce, and the 'Highway 61 Revisited' album by Bob Dylan

vonboy

• Chomper: "Threehorns are better at everything, including rumpsteaks"
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Do you mean more of LBT breaking the fourth wall? As in, the character's realize they are part of a fictional universe, and actually talk directly to the audience occasionally?
Come check out my new Youtube gaming channel, Game Biter!
---------------------
Littlefoot: "Look, Chomper. You're uncle is dead, and it's just right for your friends to be there for you. You'd be there if someone we know died, right?"

Chomper: "Well, sure I would!"

Come give my LBT TV Series fanfiction, PAST-O-RAMA, a read!
---------------------
(Runner-Up)

jansenov

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: vonboy,Feb 11 2013 on  10:51 PM
Do you mean more of LBT breaking the fourth wall? As in, the character's realize they are part of a fictional universe, and actually talk directly to the audience occasionally?
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Before you guys say "Nah, that can never happen", well...exactly, it can never happen in the world of dinosaurs (unless someone traveled back in time of course). I mean, come on, this isn't Sesame Street or...something else that's educational. This is simply a good ol' fashioned theory, no more, no less.

Example of this: The gang can't get out of a trap, and so we (the audience) help them do so by...shouting something, I don't know.

But seriously, what if this happened in...say, the TV series, maybe?

Oh, and Loyfe, I agree with Hrvoje, very brilliant suggestion on "random object/book/album" stuff!

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Aww, thanks you two!  :D

But are you saying, like, we kind of coach them through a situation, Anony? Become sort of like Navi from Zelda? That's kind of what I'm picturing from what you've described.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: LoyfeCycleProtector,Feb 12 2013 on  03:45 PM
Aww, thanks you two!  :D

But are you saying, like, we kind of coach them through a situation, Anony? Become sort of like Navi from Zelda? That's kind of what I'm picturing from what you've described.
"Anony"? Okay...that's a weird co-name!

But yes, that's one of the points I (or another member) might try out for fun. Maybe another member could come up with a plot for something like this (or I could, despite the fact that I'm not that great of a plot developer or a fanfic writer).

So yeah, the audience could probably either coach them through some sort of situation, or the dinos  could just "break the fourth wall" sometimes for a little fun.

As for "Legend of Zelda"...hmm, my younger cousin is more of an expert at Zelda (and video games in general) than I. One of these days, maybe...oh well.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Okay, I see what you mean. I might be interested in working on this project. It would be great practice for the fanfic I've been working on.

Would this be kind of like a 'choose your own path' story?

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Not quite, but that's a good suggestion! If a story ever exists like this, I would keep it in third person and refer to us as "the viewers" or something similar.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
So, sort of like Deadpool-style fourth wall awareness? If that's the case, I've had an idea for a story like that for quite some time.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
With a story like that, there's nearly limitless potential for comedy. I can see Cera's snark being a big gold mine of humor. So what kind of story idea did you have on mind?

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Honestly, I have nothing. Lately, I haven't been that great with coming up with story ideas, though I do have a certain LBT story in the works, but...let's just say it's something I'd prefer not to discuss.

Anyways, comedy should be a good factor in a story like this.

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Alright, I got an idea: it's been six years after the latest land before time film. For almost twenty years, the gang has been doing sequels to keep the struggling Universal Cartoon Studios afloat. They remember the love and passion their creator had for 2D animation and, seeing the rise of companies like Pixar, wanted to save UAS from being closed down. After their long years of sequels, the joy they felt in doing the movies began to dim, but were still encouraged that they were doing a good thing by keeping so many 2d animators employed. When their twelve movie contract with universal expired, however, they realized that the contract that they had signed years ago had a loophole in it that nullified Universal's obligation to keep Universal Cartoon Studio's alive, and axed it as soon as the thirteenth sequel was finished. Furious that they've spent twenty years working for nothing and saddened that they failed to keep the studio alive as a tribute to their beloved creator, the gang quit the TV series they had done as a side project and went into retirement.
Six years later, the gang comes to an alarming discovery: they once again see an audience, something that only ever happens when they're being animated.
At first, they're too deep in the enjoyment of their retirement to care, figuring that who ever was animating them couldn't force them to have an adventure if they didn't want to. But then disasters start happening in their world. They are forced out of retirement and into an adventure.

I have ideas for the adventure too, but if all the other stuff isn't interesting, then neither will the adventure. I know it also isn't 100% accurate, but hey, anything for a good story, right? So what do you think?

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile

LoyfeCycleProtector

• Petrie
    • View Profile
Like I said, I'd be interested in working on the project, if you'd like.

The Anonymous Person

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile