The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Which "Great" Valley?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
Hi!
I have a question to all the native English speakers here. The Great Valley of course is the place where Littlefoot and the others live; the work "great" however is ambiguous. It could either mean great in the sense of "very large" or it could be great in the sense of "outstanding quality". When you hear "Great Valley" in the movies, which of the two meanings of great do you understand to be meant?

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
it Could be either, but I usually interprt it to mean "very large"
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Then the translation is correct. In the German version of LBT the Great Valley is named "Das Gro?e Tal" which means "The large (Great) Valley" without any other connotation. I was just wondering as I could well imagine some dinosaur creating the name by stating what a great place this valley is to live in.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
No problem Malte. the Definition of 'Great' depends on the context its put in.
For example, My Dog is great' means that i think my dog is a wonderful animal.
On the Other hand  "i went to the great Salt Lake" means I saw a really big salty lake.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Platvoet en zijn Vriendjes

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/landbeforetime
Here in the Netherlands th movie is called: De Groene Vallei and the translation is The Green valley, which is noy the right dutch title in literly

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
Actually I think its a double pun:  "great" as in large, and "great" as in plentiful.

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
In other words , its MEANT to be ambigous...
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

JojotheIncredible

• Chomper
    • View Profile

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I don't find anything remotely vague about the term concerning the word "great" in "The Great Valley". The place is HUGE, it's green, lush, and plentiful, and it's a very nice place to live. Unless you're hoping for a Cable TV hook-up: it's the addeal place to live in peace and harmony (assuming that Daddy Tops and Cera don't get in your face all the time  :rolleyes: ).
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm happy that there isn't this ambiguity which I suspected there. Not only does the consensus about the meaning of Great as large confirm the translation they used in the German movies, but it also suits my own purpose to describe (like you just did WR  ;) ) The Great Valley as a HUGE place not really thoroughly known to any of the dinosaurs living there. I began to write my next fanfiction, in which this will be one element, the day before yesterday.

I have yet another question. What is the difference between the words "Great" and "Grand" if used to describe size? I have some ideas what might be the difference, but I will not write them down here not to influence any of the answers I hope to get.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Oh boy, I'm a native Englsh speaker, and that's not an easy question. Actually, by all technicalities, there is not much difference in the two words at base, but one is used much more loosely than the other.

Great: can be referring to the large size of something, the best quality of something, the appeal qualities of something, or it can be a reference as to how much a person is enjoying his or herself (example: "this waterslide is great!"). And the word "great" is much more likely to acompany slang terms.

Grand: in general, is a word that's used much more tightly, and you will not find people sayig it nearly as often as "great". It's a reference to something that possesses all the above possibilities of "great" all at once, and it usually has something very "proper" and "classy" about it as well.

When it comes to size: "Great" means huge, "grand" means "uncomparable", because whatever it is, it's one of the biggest, if no the biggest.

In general: it's up to the individual to decide what is "great" and what is "grand".
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Nick22

• Administrator
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
grand is defined  as 'impressive in size , appearance or general effect' an example would be the Grand Canyon in Arizona. Great is 'unusually or comparively large in size or dimensions' Kenji is correct great is more commonly used and grand is sometimes confused with great, athough there are distinctions between them. I would use grand to describe the expanse of the area the feeling of seeing the expanse of the area.
Winner of these:

Runner up for these:

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
^ What he said. ;)  Probably couldn't describe it any better.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I assume it means both. The Great Valley has been shown as being both very large and of outstanding quality.

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Sep 27 2005 on  11:37 PM
It's the ideal place to live in peace and harmony (assuming that Daddy Tops and Cera don't get in your face all the time  :rolleyes: ).
Agreed.  :lol

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
"Great" in this sense probably means "large" or "big."

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
The Great Valley is large and nice, but I tend to think of it meaning large, myself, because it's just that -- large.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I assumed it meant both that it is large, enough room for a heard of far walkers like Longnecks to visit for a while, and also that it has a lot of green food and water as well.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: Kor,Nov 21 2007 on  10:29 PM
I assumed it meant both that it is large, enough room for a heard of far walkers like Longnecks to visit for a while, and also that it has a lot of green food and water as well.
This is probably the case. :)

Lain_EX

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I think it's great because it's BIG. Isn't it? In fact they translate the Great Valley in Spanish to "El Gran Valle"

Gran, translated to English, means something big, enormous. But I think it's "great" to live there. :lol