The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Epic Battles.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I was referring to the fact that one side turned it's tail and fled relatively . The First Battle of Bull Run would not be considered epic, as you mentioned in your post, and neither would said scene from LBT5, despite it being the closest candidate, IMO.
On a historical side-note, I think it is kind of a misrepresentation of the battle of Bull Run that almost since the day it was fought it has been known almost only for the route of the federal army and the firm stand of the brigade of Jackson who got his nickname "stonewall" in that battle. Some also remember the disorganization of the federal army (a regiment leaving on the eve of the battle because their three month term had run out and other outfits were delayed because soldiers started picking berries from bushes along the side of the road).
What is often overlooked is that the federals came pretty close to a success. Both sides were rather green, but considering their green state the battle was more than the "brawl" as which it is often depicted
The federal retreat (it began as a retreat before it degenerated into a rout) started only between 3 and 4 pm, that is after something between five and six hours of intense fighting after a long flanking march.
Part of the federals defeat was caused by "bad luck" (the confusion of the blue clad 33rd Virginia regiment for a federal unit and the loss of a federal battery as a consequence) and the degeneration of the retreat into a rout was partly because of the tricky escape route (across the narrow stone bridge) that was partly blocked by the battlefield tourists from Washington.
In spite of all this some units that had not seen action in the battle itself did not join the rout but stayed and (even without another battle resulting from it) probably played an important role in the lack of attempts on the part of the southerners (who were almost as disorganized by their victory as the northerners were by their defeat) to pursue the federals.
The battle of Bull Run was not a mere running and screaming on the part of one side at the first sight of the enemy and seriously it did not have much in common with the LBT dinosaurs running from swarms of insects in LBT 5.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I already admitted it was a bad example, and my only point was that the LBT5 scene was the closest thing I could come up with to an epic battle in LBT. Nevertheless, it is still a far cry from whatever the original poster was hoping for.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I'm sorry for sounding so "know it all" and I apologize for that :oops
I guess it is just the historian in me breaking through at the chance of going into details about a chapter of history I take particular interest in (we don't have many detailed historical discussions at the moment).

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
I kinda got a little defensive at the end, mainly because I don't like being trapped in a corner, which I was, and set myself up to be. I shouldn't have done that. It is true I enjoy the Civil War history myself, and we don't often get chances to talk about things like that. As this whole thread has revealed, this franchise has little to do with such things :)

I also get nervous when it appears I'm sounding pro-war, which believe me I am not. In history last year, the teacher asked what each of us would do if the government issued a mandatory draft. I said run away to Canada, and surprised people by being the only male in the class who would refuse to serve.

Back on topic.

I don't think there's anything else to say about this Epic Battle idea. It wouldn't fit the franchise, so there are no good examples, and it's never going to happen because that's just not what LBT is like. Everyone so far seems to agree on that.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It is true I enjoy the Civil War history myself, and we don't often get chances to talk about things like that. As this whole thread has revealed, this franchise has little to do with such things smile.gif

I also get nervous when it appears I'm sounding pro-war, which believe me I am not. In history last year, the teacher asked what each of us would do if the government issued a mandatory draft. I said run away to Canada, and surprised people by being the only male in the class who would refuse to serve.
I never had the impression of you being "pro war" because of the statement. Reading the part about the battle of Bull Run people might easily think of me as some war monger or gun-nut, something which I hope is definitely not the picture I conjure up in anybody's mind (and other statements on war in general and the consequences of battles hopefully and probably leave no doubt on my view there). But the fear of being misunderstood should not prevent historical discussion in the respective sections of the forum.
I would positively relish in more detailed historical discussion and not so to boast with detailed knowledge (though I admit that in some cases I may come across that way when indeed I think I spot something that may have to be reconsidered. But then again I have stood corrected in historical discussions myself already) but also to learn from you who are from the country where (in case of the US Civil War) the events took place.

I don't think there's anything else to say about this Epic Battle idea. It wouldn't fit the franchise, so there are no good examples, and it's never going to happen because that's just not what LBT is like. Everyone so far seems to agree on that.
I agree, but again, I would be very happy to see historical discussion in the respective sections :yes

Bruton the Iguanodon

Movie 2, according to the wiki, had a huge local battle with even the kids participating! (From what I remember it actually did---I most vividly remember Petrie adn Ducky throwing rocks at at-rex from a tree and then they fell off/it threw them off and they feel to the ground and a tear fell out of duckys eye but it cut away from that really quickly

Bruton the Iguanodon

There was one. It doesn't get more epic than Littlefoot's mom vs. original sharptooth. I bet there hasn't been one since because they knew it wouldn't compare

Are you serioulsly saying the actual climax of movie 1 didn't live up to that scene? What about the sharpteeth coming into the valley in 2? The one you mention had two participants and lasted 2 minutes or less (which most battles do in LBT, I should say) But what about Chomper's parents vs. the gigantosaur in movie 5? I'm not saying littlefoot's mom vs. original sharptooth wasn't epic, but there have been equally epic moments. As for a huge battle like this topic is suggesting, no way!! Uh-uh! Not in LBT! :x

On a last note I want to add that people underate some of the good action sequences in the earlier, pre-7 sequels cause they didn't have as memorable results as the first one in 1---in other words, no one died in them. Does that make them any less epic though?

Bruton the Iguanodon

There was one. It doesn't get more epic than Littlefoot's mom vs. original sharptooth. I bet there hasn't been one since because they knew it wouldn't compare 

You're wrong. There have been some since. There were battles in 2 and 3, remember? These actually did have more participants, but they ended with everyone alive.

As for 11, it also had a sorta full scale one, but...it hardly even counts, in my opinion.

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I consider None of the LBT battles as epic... though LF's mother vs. THE sharptooth was quite a good batte(and would've been even better, if it hadn't been cutted  :anger )
Inactive, probably forever.

StrutEggStealer

• Professional Veggie-Eater
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Can't beat 1, although 6 was actually quite exciting, and LBT XI's chase scenes, just for the severe, angled shooting - made it look more intense, I thought.
"Not all who wander are lost"
J. R. R. Tolkein

OllyDirectioner

• Chomper
    • View Profile
The closest thing to "epic battle" was in LBT 10 when they fought the 3 sharpteeth.

Bruton the Iguanodon

No one thinks 2 and 3's were good, though? (The ones with the most participants, probably)

Belmont2500

• Yet another wordsmith
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
This thread is offically considered 'dead'.

(Hey, I made a rhyme  :lol )