The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Dino Squad

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I don't think I'll post up reviews for the remaining episodes. But after seeing the 9 eps they have to offer so far, here's my list of Pros and Cons for this show based on my opinions.

Pros:

-The premise is interesting. A dinosaur wanting to change the world back into the way it was when dinosaurs roamed the earth. True not an original plot as it's been used before, but it's not an overused premise (unless someone can correct me).

-The show does not rely on potty humor to get a laugh. Unlike some shows I've seen, this one actually makes an effort at humor, not cheap potty humor to get a quick laugh.

-The main villain is not the type to go "ARGH! THWARTED AGAIN!" Victor has not often shown anger, a trait that I like for a villain. And while he despises humans, he is willing to work with them, and he doesn't go out of his way to deliberately harm anyone, whether they work for him or not. He does seem to like spreading trouble as shown in episode 8, but he is not the type of villain motivated simply by causing pain. He has also been shown to be quite clever, being able to flush out Buzz just by knowing what state he was in.

-The telepathy, in my opinion, was a good move for the show. Being able to turn into dinosaurs as a power does seem cool, but would be useless if there was no way to communicate. And it wouldn't make sense for the dinosaurs to talk with their mouths, so telepathy seems to work better. The first time I've seen this form of communication was in Animorphs.

-This is the first show I've seen where a character's secret identity was revealed within the third episode, instead of a much later episode as other shows I've seen do. While it did feel a bit random, and I wasn't expecting it, I did feel it was a good move, because it told me there was a chance that Victor would discover the truth about them (something I am looking forward to). This also could lead to some interesting situations, such as in episode 8 when Max is caught on film and Caruso is asked by a film director to reveal Max's name, and he must choose between fame or his friend.

Cons:

-While I like Victor, he just seems to oblivious sometimes. One moment of stupidity on his part is when he gets a dino signal that shows him a picture of football players, and he doesn't even attempt to make the connection. Such obliviousness doesn't make Victor such an intelligent villain. Another problem I see with him is that, despite being the main antagonist, he mostly operates from the sidelines, and almost never confronts the Dino Squad (human or dinosaur) directly.

-The show introduces itself with an episode with a faster pace than the remainder episodes, in my opinion. The first episode acted as an introduction, and I'm all right with that. But it tried to explain too much too quickly, and thus may have discouraged some people from continuing to watch the series. Not to mention how Victor and Joanne survived all that time is not fully explained, other than they went into suspended animation.

-Despite seeing 9 episodes, there's still so much about the characters I don't know. I'm not saying there's no character development; I'm just saying they could go more in depth with them. The character episodes fix this problem somewhat by focusing on a character. The characters I find the most difficult to describe are Fiona and Max as they seem to be the characters less focused on, while Caruso seems to be most focused on (about 4 of the episodes so far were Caruso episodes).

-I felt that them gaining control of their dinosaur powers right away was a bit cheap, and rather disappointing. It would have been fun to see them struggle to gain control of their ability, and probably would have added more depth to the show, in my opinion.

-There are loopholes/inaccuracies in the show. To make some examples: the show goes with the stereotypical view of Velociraptor, being man-sized, when the real thing was only 3 ft tall, Stegosaurus only had four tail spikes, Pteranodon wasn't a dinosaur nor did it have teeth or a tail, and Styracosaurus did not have large brow horns. There are more but I won't go into detail. In the first episode we are introduced to a character who has just joined Veloci's ranks, but is never seen again and there's no explaination to where he's gone. In episode 7, the team trains in cold weather where Moynihan says they'll stay warm if they keep moving, but in reality, because they are cold-blooded dinosaurs, they would die even if they move around (according to my brother anyway). There's probably other loopholes/inaccuracies that I missed.

Overall, the show is good. It can be better, there are some things that can be improved on it. But I find it rather enjoyable, and worth the watch.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Using their breath is a pretty stupid idea. Guess the writers were drunk when they write that scene, or were to busy and paid someone off the street to write the scene for them.

I disagree. While admit that wasn't my fav part of the episode, I didn't think it was really stupid or anything, and I doubt the writers were "drunk" or "too busy". But as the saying goes, to each his own.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

Petrie.

• Hatchling
  • It's good to be the king!
    • View Profile
That "Go Dino" music is really just overused....you could fill five minutes just with the scenes that use that phrase and animation frames alone.  :rolleyes:

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I wonder if that is part of the reason they do that, as maybe a filler.  I can see doing it once but why everytime.  And I think they have some when they change back to human sometimes too.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
That "Go Dino" music is really just overused

The "go dino" phrase annoys me. I hear them say that and think "..Do you really need to say that?"

Likely off topic but did you see my earlier post about my seeing on tvshowsondvd the show coming out on dvd, at least the first 2 dvd's are suppose to on April 1st? Seems pretty fast to me, but I am not current on how fast things go from tv to dvd.

And yeah I did see the link about that. It is rather fast for them to have a DVD out already, since the show is only a few months old.

Chikara

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: DarkHououmon,Jan 2 2008 on  04:41 PM
That "Go Dino" music is really just overused

The "go dino" phrase annoys me. I hear them say that and think "..Do you really need to say that?"
I was just thinking that. That theme song got annoying for me really fast.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And the way they have the same music and such for the animation, annoying, especially when they change so often and they do it for each character.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
First, I want to thank DarkHououmon for her hard work doing this. Thank you.  :lol:

Now to the series:
I just watched the first episode. It was ok, but kinda boring (it is the first episode afterall). I hope the other episodes are better. :^.^:
And this "Go Dino" theme kinda annoys me too. <_<

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
Oh god.  :slap
I'm terribly sorry. How embarrassing. :o
I'll edit my post immediatly.

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Hehe, don¥t worry Sky. you aren¥t the only one who thought the Darkhououman is a he.^^ It happened me too.
And to the TV show... I never heard about it or watched it -_-

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
It's all right, Sky. People mistake me for a guy many times in the past. To be honest, I thought you were a she until I saw your DA profile. ^^;

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
No sorry. No episode 10. Currently all they are showing are reruns. If they do a rerun of each episode aired so far, then the earliest episode 10 might air would be March 8th.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
We'll find out when the final 4 eps of season 1 airs. Supposedly there's going to be a second season due the fall of this year, with 13 more eps. If I were to make a prediction, then I'd say that Victor will find out the truth in one of the final 4 eps of season 1, and season 2 will be focused on him trying to track down the kids, making their mission more difficult. Or Victor could find out sometime in season 2, maybe even in the final couple eps. Or he could not find out at all, which would be a disappointment.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile