The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic Thread

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Daddytops2009,Feb 9 2012 on  05:01 AM
Spoiler ahead.

The Hearts and Hooves Day is already leaked.
Yes, and I found out what happened here.  Apparently, it's because Apple goofed with the release date.  The release date they put up?  Feb 11, 2011.  Yes, you read that right.  2011.

Before they knew it, someone downloaded it and put it up on YouTube.

Spoil yourself if you like with the link or wait and see it when you are meant to this Saturday.  Your choice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBeJGKzx1Dc

I will not hold myself responsible for any upset bronies who dare to click it and spoil themselves.  After all, I'm not the one who made you click it! ;)

And yes, I'm going to spoil myself. :P:

f-22 "raptor" ace

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Daddytops2009,Feb 9 2012 on  06:01 AM
Spoiler ahead.

The Hearts and Hooves Day is already leaked.
I just watched it on youtube. I'm not gonna give anything away though.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Thanks for the link. I'll download it so I have it, but I won't watch it till Saturday morning.  Both since that is when it was meant to be aired I assume, and then it'll be that much less time for the next episode.  I can wait a few days longer to watch the episode.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I'm just going to say this.  Since we already know they try to get Big Mac and Cheerilee together with a love potion, the things they say under the spell, make me feel rather uncomfortable.

Oh, and the end is a perfect troll moment.

Good idea and all, but I didn't like certain parts of it.  The episode could use some work.  That's all I'll say.

See ya later!

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, I'm not going to spoil myself and watch it early. I'm gonna wait 'til Saturday.

In the meantime...

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I spoiled myself.  It wasn't great, but I can live with it.  I'll chalk it up to another episode I won't be watching again along with Baby Cakes.  Well maybe I'll watch it again.  I dunno.  I agree with Pokeplayer.  The things they said made me rather uncomfortable.  Let's just say sappy doesn't begin to cover it.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Anyone get the impression that the whole has light-heartedly poking fun at the fanbase's tendency to ship in a few scenes?
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Caustizer

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Feb 9 2012 on  08:49 PM
Anyone get the impression that the whole has light-heartedly poking fun at the fanbase's tendency to ship in a few scenes?
Yes, and you can expect a ton of gifs to be up by Sunday (or maybe even tommarow).

Personally I thought that the CMCs were pushing a little bit too hard for something they understand so little about.  What would have happened if Big Mac started doing Cherilee right then and there?  :oops

A few months later she's pregnant and the CMCs suddenly realize just how badly they screwed up. :lol

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, anyway, I loved it. Seriously, though, I think anyone who didn't like this is being too picky. Every time there's a new episode, there's been some complaint about how much it sucks. I frankly don't see how or why you guys are so displeased with the season two episodes.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Feb 9 2012 on  08:34 PM
I frankly don't see how or why you guys are so displeased with the season two episodes.
I can't explain it very well, but the season 2 episodes just don't have the same feeling as the older episodes.  The season 2 episodes feel a lot more rushed and more based on style than substance.  Let me put it this way.  If season 1 had been like season 2 is, I probably wouldn't have gotten into MLP.  I wouldn't have hated the show or anything, but my attitude would have been more like "meh, take it or leave it" rather than "holy freaking shit this is a good show!"

I think what I'm missing most of all is the character development.  We just don't see much of that anymore.  The season 1 episodes seemed to place more importance on the characters and how they felt during different situations, whereas season 2 seems to put more effort into the events that take place rather than the emotions of the characters that are experiencing the events.  

I'm one of those people that really need likable and dynamic characters even more than a good story.  That's what got myself (and a lot of other people) into MLP in the first place.  I mean, let's face it.  The stories aren't exactly great.  They're pretty simple.  What made them more for adults was the fact that they weren't nearly as two dimensional as they seemed at first (just like the characters).  But come on!  Drinking a love potion and trying to keep two crazed ponies apart for an hour has literally ZERO character development.  It's more like an episode of South Park than a serious show.

Spartanguy88

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Okay, I changed my mind and spoiled myself. Couldn't resist myself. XP

Overall an okay episode. Extremely sappy dialogue. Did like Berry Punch having her house become a mobile home.

I give it a 3.5 out of 5 Stars.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Well, I think the show still has dynamic and character development. I'm rewatching an episode right now and I'm not seeing the "rushed" thing, either, but that could just be me. I won't deny Season 2 is different than Season 1 but I don't think the change has really made it any worse.
One thing I will say is that The Land Before Time isn't exactly a great place to look for character development, either, so from that angle I'm still a little confused about your complaint.
As for this being a serious show and not South Park. Since when is FIM a serious show? I mean, it's always been a good show, but this is not a serious show. I don't know where you got the idea it was.

I probably sound like a jerk with a bad case of opinion myopia, but I am just genuinely perplexed.

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well LBT is different.  It's a part of my childhood that I cherish.  If I hadn't liked LBT as a kid I doubt I would have picked it up now.  As for MLP being a serious show, that probably wasn't the best word to describe it.  What I mean was it isn't some shallow show just trying to keep you interested for 20 minutes to make a quick buck like South Park is.  Shows like that are fine, but I prefer shows that actually put some effort into the storyline and characters.  What I think made me fall in love with the show (and I've heard this from a lot of other people as well) is that at first it seemed like some horrible girly cartoon with shallow predictable two-dimensional characters and it turned out to be a show that's deceptively simple, very gender neutral, and has characters that aren't nearly as boring as they appeared to be on the outside.  And it didn't take 25 episodes to realize this either.  In fact, I realized this after about 2 minutes of watching the first episode (at least with Twilight).  I just knew the show was going to be more than it seemed.  And that was a pleasant surprise.  But it seems the very nature of the show is changing.  Things are a lot more rushed and the characters are seeming a lot more cookie-cutter like.  This just isn't the show I fell in love with.  I'll still watch it because ponies are awesome, but it just isn't the same to me anymore.

On another note, the episodes I really liked were the Mysterious Mare Do Well, Secret of My Excess, the Sisterhooves Social, and to a lesser extent Read it and Weep.  All of these shows put at least some emphasis in character development.  My favorite was probably Secret of My Excess.  Was the storyline to die for?  Not even close.  It was simple and predictable.  But at least it emphasized the importance Rarity places on the friendships she has with her friends.  And I loved the end twist of Sisterhooves Social.  I totally didn't expect it to be Rarity in the end.  The two Rainbow Dash centric episodes I mentioned weren't as good with character development, but at least they had something.  None of the other episodes really had anything in the way of character development other than perhaps the Last Rodeo.  But after seeing Derpy talk I pretty much zoned out the rest of the episode and drooled on my keyboard.  I need to watch that one again.

Petrie85

• Cera
    • View Profile
Ah I might watch the episode now because I might forget later.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Okay, I see. Well, I think this show does have effort put into it and it's not just out to make a quick buck. I think the creators are trying new things with it. Oh well, you can't please everyone. But please don't compare FIM to South Park anymore. Even if the character develop has actually grown lax, there's still a far cry of difference between the aims of the two shows.

However, try to remember that you are a lot older tha the intended demographic. It is an above average children's show, but don't forget the "children's show" part of the description.

Daddytops2009

• Ducky
    • View Profile
I give this episode 5 out 5.

Watched the episode three times in a row.

Pangaea

• Member+
  • Cera
  • Contemplator of Deep Time
    • View Profile
Is it too late for the GOF's slowest poster to do share his thoughts about "Read It and Weep"?

I noticed a couple of interesting things early on in the episode. For one, it seemed to me that Rainbow Dash was a lot more upset about being stuck in bed for a few days than she was about not being able to fly for a few weeks. I thought that was a nice surprise; at the risk of overanalyzing, I thought it made Dash seem more down-to-earth as a character (in a literal sense): although flying is obviously very important to her, it's not so fundamental to her being that she's incapable of temporarily living without it. (I dunno if I'm making any sense; I just thought it was interesting.)

Second, it would appear from Dash's x-ray that pegasi have finger-like bones supporting their feathers. :blink: I guess it would explain why Rainbow Dash needed to bandage her wing in "May the Best Pet Win!" when just one of her feathers was pinned underneath a boulder from the avalanche. It makes you think about the anatomy of pegasus wings, though; maybe they're not as similar to bird wings as we assumed…

I'm surprised no one's commented yet on Daring-Do's nemesis, Ahuizotl.* Even though I had been expecting some kind of monster to show up in the story-within-the-episode, I literally went "whoa!" when he appeared onscreen (and then cracked up when he opened his mouth to speak :lol). I would have assumed that he was a completely original creature designed for the episode, but his distinctively Mesoamerican-sounding name threw me for a loop; if he was made-up, then the MLP team must have done some very specific research into creating his name. As it turns out, there's an actual creature in Aztec mythology called the ahuizotlóa doglike animal with the paws of a monkey and a hand on its tailóon which this character is based: :wow

The original ahuizotl differed from the MLP version in being small and aquatic (its name translates to "water dog"), with a penchant for drowning humans and eating their teeth, nails, and eyeballs. :x (The creature's appearance may have been inspired by otters or the yapok, a semiaquatic opossum whose prehensile tail could have been the basis for the tail-hand.) At any rate, this is the first time I've ever heard of this creature appearing in popular culture, and it's surely the most obscure mythological beast to have been used in MLP so far. (In case I haven't mentioned this before, that's one of my favorite things about this show: the fact that it uses such unique and seldom-seen monsters and fantasy critters. :smile)

* I will not be looking at the leaked episode or any of its spoilers until Saturday, so my apologies if someone else has in fact already talked about Ahuizotl; I would have overlooked your post in my efforts to avoid spoilers.

Pronounced "pan-JEE-uh". Spelled with three A's. Represented by a Lystrosaurus.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, the original poster of the "Hearts and Hooves" episode has removed it.  However, there's still a few that have yet to remove the episode.  So, for those that still wish to be spoiled, here's another link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDFlb8Uk4wU

EDIT: Oh, and I just got some more info.  Apparently, the one who put it up on iTunes was brand new to the job and goofed because of the misprint of the date.  So it wasn't entirely their fault.  They were just given the wrong info in terms of release dates.

A small mistake that caused quite a few problems.  It's going to take quite a bit for Apple to clean this up. :)

PanickyPetrie14

• Spike
    • View Profile
    • http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dozyslumbers
Ha! Pony mod in Garry's mod is a WIN. I was experimenting with Garry's mod and then I had an idea... and here it was...

Luna will send all of those to moon! That's for sure! :yes

Too bad the other ponies don't work well  :( If anypony has Garry's mod and has the pony mod. Please send me the addon.  :smile