The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

DarkWolf's Fanart Thread

DarkWolf91 · 427 · 67009

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.kelpgull.deviantart.com
Commission for Rhombus, from The Seven Hunters. Really enjoyed working on this one :)

JulianR94

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6968782/
As I said already:

Praise the gods you gave him two fingers and proper, pointed claws! :D
Jokes aside, this is another scene I remember perfectly, just another intense one. Chomper's immense loyalty to his leaf-eater friends could've turned this scene into quite the fatal outcome, had he not recognized Ruby via her unique way of speaking even in the carnivore language, if I remember that detail correctly.
Now, this turned out really, really good once again! I especially must stress how awesome the night sky looks, but how you are torn between focusing on that and Chomper's murderous gleam in his eyes. Not to mention Ruby's expression.
Literally, the only detail I would've liked to see added were the dewclaws on Chomper's feet, though I understand that LBT isn't really consistent when it comes to anatomical correctness. :D
_________

Looking forward to whatever comes next! :)

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Oh my...
This glare could visit anyone in nightmare.
And the whole scene is SO intense...

How much time do you spend to draw such great works?

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Absolutely amazing!  :wow  The emotion on Ruby's face is captured perfectly.  You can see her confusion... her fear of what she has become... and her fear of her friend.  She has the look of a being who has been placed into a body that is not her own, which is exactly what has happened.  Chomper, meanwhile, is completely in predator mode.  Gone in this moment is the 'freindly sharptooth' and in its place is a predator who is prepared to avenge his friend.  The red gleam from his nicitating membranes clearly indicate what he has in mind for the 'intruder'.  The anatomy of both dinosaurs is captured perfectly, with the slight inaccuracies in Chomper's appearance (no dew claws) being well-justified due to this being a Land Before Time drawing.  The excellent background and the expert use of shadows complete this astonishing drawing.

Thank you very much for the commission.  :)  There are so many other scenes that I would love to see you capture in visual form.  If there are any on this list ( http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...showtopic=13831 ) that look particularly interesting to you, then please let me know.  Otherwise, I would certainly be interested in commissioning another work in the coming week.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

The Lone Dragon

• Member+
  • Spike
  • Release The Dragon!
    • View Profile
These recent pictures are bloody magnificent! :)littlefoot  
A scene that is reminiscent of the first movie and an awesome confrontation between friends. Both backgrounds are eye grabbing and the expressions of the characters are perfect if not unforgettable. Chomper in particular looks pretty vicious with those red eyes, talk about a character seeing red :lol  
Great, great work mate, I hope you have the best of luck in your future commissions   :yes
What's the point in being mad if you don't do mad things now and again?

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
As I said already:

Praise the gods you gave him two fingers and proper, pointed claws! :D
Jokes aside, this is another scene I remember perfectly, just another intense one. Chomper's immense loyalty to his leaf-eater friends could've turned this scene into quite the fatal outcome, had he not recognized Ruby via her unique way of speaking even in the carnivore language, if I remember that detail correctly.
Now, this turned out really, really good once again! I especially must stress how awesome the night sky looks, but how you are torn between focusing on that and Chomper's murderous gleam in his eyes. Not to mention Ruby's expression.
Literally, the only detail I would've liked to see added were the dewclaws on Chomper's feet, though I understand that LBT isn't really consistent when it comes to anatomical correctness. :D
_________

Looking forward to whatever comes next! :)

Absolutely amazing!  :wow  The emotion on Ruby's face is captured perfectly.  You can see her confusion... her fear of what she has become... and her fear of her friend.  She has the look of a being who has been placed into a body that is not her own, which is exactly what has happened.  Chomper, meanwhile, is completely in predator mode.  Gone in this moment is the 'freindly sharptooth' and in its place is a predator who is prepared to avenge his friend.  The red gleam from his nicitating membranes clearly indicate what he has in mind for the 'intruder'.  The anatomy of both dinosaurs is captured perfectly, with the slight inaccuracies in Chomper's appearance (no dew claws) being well-justified due to this being a Land Before Time drawing.  The excellent background and the expert use of shadows complete this astonishing drawing.

Thank you very much for the commission.  :)  There are so many other scenes that I would love to see you capture in visual form.  If there are any on this list ( http://z7.invisionfree.com/thegangoffive/i...showtopic=13831 ) that look particularly interesting to you, then please let me know.  Otherwise, I would certainly be interested in commissioning another work in the coming week.

I responded on DA already, but again, thank you both! In depth comments like this are both helpful and motivating :smile

Oh my...
This glare could visit anyone in nightmare.
And the whole scene is SO intense...

How much time do you spend to draw such great works?

Thank you!
Actually, I'm not sure! I usually get 3-4 hours at night to work on stuff, but I don't keep track of how many nights it takes me. I will have to keep track of time on the next one, as it seems to be something that a lot of people are interested in :yes

These recent pictures are bloody magnificent! :)littlefoot 
A scene that is reminiscent of the first movie and an awesome confrontation between friends. Both backgrounds are eye grabbing and the expressions of the characters are perfect if not unforgettable. Chomper in particular looks pretty vicious with those red eyes, talk about a character seeing red :lol 
Great, great work mate, I hope you have the best of luck in your future commissions   :yes

Thank you! I've been on a roll lately :lol
I'm glad the backgrounds turned out well! I've been trying to improve in that area. And Chomper's red eye effect was definitely fun to do :)

retrorobby

• Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.retrorobby.com
Quote from: DarkWolf91,Jun 28 2016 on  12:54 PM
Commission for Rhombus, from The Seven Hunters. Really enjoyed working on this one :)
Looks really good. I like the art style too. Has a realistic look to it.

ADFan185

• Ducky
    • View Profile
You did a fantastic job I like how evil Chomper looks.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Looks really good. I like the art style too. Has a realistic look to it.

Thank you! I try to make it a little more realistic than the cartoon :D

You did a fantastic job I like how evil Chomper looks.

Thanks! I had a lot of fun drawing Chomper :yes

CybertronianBrony

• Member+
  • Spike
    • View Profile
Wow! That picture you made is fantastic! I love the expressions on their faces! You can see Ruby is scared in fear of what has happened to Chomper, his friend. As for Chomper, wow. Those red eyes make him look like he's turned to a real sharptooth. Or like he's joining the Dark Side! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Your drawings are always awesome! You really do have talent! Can't wait for your next picture!

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: CybertronianBrony,Jul 1 2016 on  05:14 AM
Wow! That picture you made is fantastic! I love the expressions on their faces! You can see Ruby is scared in fear of what has happened to Chomper, his friend. As for Chomper, wow. Those red eyes make him look like he's turned to a real sharptooth. Or like he's joining the Dark Side! (Sorry, couldn't resist)

Your drawings are always awesome! You really do have talent! Can't wait for your next picture!
Thanks very much! I certainly hope he hasn't joined the dark side :lol

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Another commission for Julian of his character Specter, featuring Rhombus' Path and Seeker. This one was definitely challenging :smile

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
If I see your shadow, I can see your soul, and can tell everything about you...

Nice trio!

This time, due to simple "painting-like" background, dinosaurs on foreground are looking... kind of unnaturally. Like plush toys. Don't know how to explain...  :unsure:
But only if you see the whole picture. Characters are great!

rhombus

• Administrator
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Amazing work once again.  :)

The inclusion of the shadows is truly a great idea, as it hints to the fact that the essence of our beloved characters still remain the same deep down even though they have changed remarkably on the outside, and I think that you captured that quite well.  Putting diverging herbivorous shadows beside carnivorous bodies must have been a difficult thing to get right; especially considering the perspective used and the need to not take the focus away from the three characters.  The fact that you were able to successfully navigate these competing concerns is a testament of your artistic skill.

Though I agree with Snik that the perspective (from the top) may not be the best perspective for a strictly realistic look for dinosaurs, I think that it works very well for a mature version of LBT-style art.  This unique amalgamation of maturity, darkness, and the Land Before Time in this art matches the Eighth Hunter continuity very well.  I absolutely love how it turned out here.  :)

PS: Just out of curiosity, how long did the shadows take you to get right?  I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to get the proportions right.

Go ahead and check out my fanfictions, The Seven Hunters, Songs of the Hunters, and Menders Tale.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: Snik,Aug 3 2016 on  01:30 PM
If I see your shadow, I can see your soul, and can tell everything about you...

Nice trio!

This time, due to simple "painting-like" background, dinosaurs on foreground are looking... kind of unnaturally. Like plush toys. Don't know how to explain...  :unsure:
But only if you see the whole picture. Characters are great!
I think I see what you mean. The line-art is always the most difficult part for me, and the style I chose might not match up perfectly with the background. Thanks for the comment :smile

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Quote from: rhombus,Aug 3 2016 on  06:52 PM
Amazing work once again.  :)

The inclusion of the shadows is truly a great idea, as it hints to the fact that the essence of our beloved characters still remain the same deep down even though they have changed remarkably on the outside, and I think that you captured that quite well.  Putting diverging herbivorous shadows beside carnivorous bodies must have been a difficult thing to get right; especially considering the perspective used and the need to not take the focus away from the three characters.  The fact that you were able to successfully navigate these competing concerns is a testament of your artistic skill.

Though I agree with Snik that the perspective (from the top) may not be the best perspective for a strictly realistic look for dinosaurs, I think that it works very well for a mature version of LBT-style art.  This unique amalgamation of maturity, darkness, and the Land Before Time in this art matches the Eighth Hunter continuity very well.  I absolutely love how it turned out here.  :)

PS: Just out of curiosity, how long did the shadows take you to get right?  I can only imagine how difficult it must have been to get the proportions right.
Thank you! Julian had a very vivid idea for the scene, and I hope I managed to do it justice :) It was very difficult to find an angle that kept all of the necessary elements intact without obscuring the shapes of the shadows or the characters' emotions too much.

Again, thanks! I like how it turned out, too :) I tried a few new techniques, and I feel like I was at least somewhat successful :lol

As for the shadows, well! It took me a couple of hours of rough sketching spread out over a few weeks. I had to do some research and try several approaches, also there was a lot of measuring involved :D

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Very great picture.  You are very skilled and drawing & coloring.

JulianR94

• Member+
  • Chomper
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fanfiction.net/u/6968782/
You already know what I think of this for the most part, but let me give you some more insight publicly:
So, obviously I absolutely love the overall look! You managed to convey the idea I had, and you managed to do it perfectly! The shadows don't look out of place, and are instead in harmony with the lighting and characters. I'd say you mastered this challenge indeed, and you've gotten noticeably better yet again in terms of shading, details and the usual stuff of great art!

Now personally, there is only one single thing I've noticed which I look at with mixed emotions. "Mixed" meaning neither negative nor positive, just something I wanted to point out which I like on the one hand, but dislike a bit on the other. It's obvious that you were in the process of finding your own style, and in doing so you went from "realistic cartoon style with an LBT flair" to "LBT cartoon style with a realistic flair". For example, you didn't do the dewclaws here (though they would've been very difficult to add, I admit), and the way you draw some claws now, in contrary to a few months ago, is very "friendly" (them being a bit round and less sharp). As I said, this is nothing I would criticize, however, I can't help but point this out as I tend to like realism more than accurate representation of fandom looks, if that makes sense.

In any event, again, I can only say that this is just another one of your best pieces, and I look forward to working together with you once more. :)

Ducky123

• *feels like Pterano*
  • Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Fantastic artwork again!  ;)
Inactive, probably forever.

DarkWolf91

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Very great picture. You are very skilled and drawing & coloring.

Thank you, Kor :)

You already know what I think of this for the most part, but let me give you some more insight publicly:
So, obviously I absolutely love the overall look! You managed to convey the idea I had, and you managed to do it perfectly! The shadows don't look out of place, and are instead in harmony with the lighting and characters. I'd say you mastered this challenge indeed, and you've gotten noticeably better yet again in terms of shading, details and the usual stuff of great art!

Now personally, there is only one single thing I've noticed which I look at with mixed emotions. "Mixed" meaning neither negative nor positive, just something I wanted to point out which I like on the one hand, but dislike a bit on the other. It's obvious that you were in the process of finding your own style, and in doing so you went from "realistic cartoon style with an LBT flair" to "LBT cartoon style with a realistic flair". For example, you didn't do the dewclaws here (though they would've been very difficult to add, I admit), and the way you draw some claws now, in contrary to a few months ago, is very "friendly" (them being a bit round and less sharp). As I said, this is nothing I would criticize, however, I can't help but point this out as I tend to like realism more than accurate representation of fandom looks, if that makes sense.

In any event, again, I can only say that this is just another one of your best pieces, and I look forward to working together with you once more. :)

I wrote a longer response on DA, but again, much thanks! Your feedback is greatly appreciated :D

Fantastic artwork again! ;)

Heheh, thanks :smile