The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Bron

arrogantrex

• Chomper
    • View Profile
I was watching X today and I had a very interesting thought.

It started with Pat, that really cool snaggle-toothed longneck nicknamed for, (I would suppose,) being an apatasaur.

Upon this line of thought, I went to Bron. He's an apatasaur too, but he was named after the Brontosaurus. Any dinosaur nut here would understand this is kind of ironic, just considering that the Brontosaurus was found to not be a real species, rather a skeleton mix-up. Which comes to another interesting point, either in symbolism or maybe even movie continuity.

I know it's probably just a dumb thought of mine, but I just think it's interesting that Bron would possibly be named after something that doesn't technically exist. It's like the storytellers were trying to imply something. As far as beginnings, X had one of the more interesting ones. I mean, it started off with Littlefoot having a sleepstory and then all these other irreverent, almost convenient things happening up until he meets his long-lost father. Soon after, he only finds that his father's life is on a level that he is yet to keep up with, said father, (as stated before,) named after a species of dinosaur that doesn't exist.

I know I may be going a bit far here, but who's to say that Littlefoot never woke up from his dream at the beginning?

Nah, I'm just kidding. That would just ruin everything, even for me. And that's not cool, man. That's just not cool.

Anyway, just an interesting thought from a guy who has nothing better to do with his time.

Other than that, I thought Bron was quite awesome, and almost exactly what I pictured for a father of Littlefoot's, even if his name holds some irony in my mind.

Purple Presence

• Chomper
    • View Profile
*chuckles*  Actually, Brontosaurus was scrapped in favor of Apatosaurus, but the name was actually salvaged and given to something else.  I found it on-line somewhere, but I honestly can't remember what now though.  ._.  I'm fairly certain it was something non-dinosaurian though.  :p

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
It would certainly explain why that one longneck who returned with Cera, Ducky, Petrie and Spike hasn't been seen since. It'd also explain why the three sharpteeth were so wimpy.

Yet it would kinda ruin everything, I agree.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Pat likely went to the same place every other 1 shot character went to once the movie they are in is over.  Perhaps they choose the name Pat since Apatasaurus is an older name then Brontosaurus.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I know I may be going a bit far here, but who's to say that Littlefoot never woke up from his dream at the beginning?

Nah, I'm just kidding. That would just ruin everything, even for me. And that's not cool, man. That's just not cool.
I for once would find that very cool indeed. Making that whole plot of LBT 10 nothing but a dream might have been the only way to explain the countless logic failures and cases of incoherence in this story which I don't think two good songs and a few good basic ideas could make up for.
Unfortunately I see no way at all in which all of LBT 10 could be reinterpreted as a dream and I understand that the story has been cemented by a TV episode including the characters (I haven't seen that one fro myself yet).
As for the name, interestingly enough Littlefoot too was meant to be named after the outdated (no pun intended) "Brontosaurus". In an early script he was named "Thunderfoot" (Brontosaur meaning Thunder-lizard), but the name was changed as they wanted to have a cuter and less threatening name.

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
And from Bron's dialog it seems his mother named him after his father.  I wonder, if like  Bron, Littlefoot may choose a different name at some point.

aabicus (LettuceBacon&Tomato)

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Rations
    • View Profile
    • aabicus.com
Quote from: Kor,Jan 30 2008 on  03:20 AM
I wonder, if like  Bron, Littlefoot may choose a different name at some point.
Probably not during the time period the movies and tv series are set in. IF for no reason other than that fans wouldn't like it if the main character changes his name to "Bronty" or something.  :lol

arrogantrex

• Chomper
    • View Profile
Quote from: Malte279,Jan 30 2008 on  03:04 AM

As for the name, interestingly enough Littlefoot too was meant to be named after the outdated (no pun intended) "Brontosaurus". In an early script he was named "Thunderfoot"

Makes me wonder what would've happened if for some reason they went with RumbleFoot.  :lol

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I think many kids may have been scarred for life if that happened! :lol

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
If he does change his name he'd likely wait till some time like he's declared an adult, once he's almost grown, or something like that so it would be long after the period the movies and tv series take place in.

Zenoah

• Spike
    • View Profile
Was'nt Littlefoot just Bron's nickname?

This movie, thou Im not too fond of the sequels, was one of my faves for the soul purpose of Littlefoot meeting his dad. It's a shame he did'nt go to the Great valley and brought his heard with him.
Also, could'nt Bron's name be based off the word brawn?

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe brawn rather than brain. Otherwise Bron could have given a plausible explanation for his absence. Many people consider LBT 10 one of the best sequels ever while for me it was ruined by the total lack of coherence and logic.

kjeldo

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://halolz.com
bron's name is based on brontosaurus

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
There are things I like about 10, and things I dislike.  Overall I do enjoy watching the movie, but there are things I do dislike, that I mainly ignore as I watch it.

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Don't forget the fact that Bron is like Superman.  He can't be hurt because he got bit by a sharptooth and was seemingly unaffected.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
I'm sure that that was just an oversight by the animators... I'm sure he can be hurt, as he did yell in pain when he was bitten...

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I agree, the animators likely forgot to draw on a wound.  It's not like we haven't seen other animation mistakes in LBT.

Noname

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://z6.invisionfree.com/Fantasy_RP_Board/index.php?act=idx
One aspect of Bron's character that we know little about is how he leads his herd. We have no way of knowing if he is authoritarian or democratic... if I had to take a guess, I would say that he leads by virtue of his size and strength, not so much his intelligence, and that his main role is protector...

And yes, I've gone over the "alpha male" stuff in other threads, so I will leave details of reproduction out of this post.

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
He would be a poor protector though if he leaves parts of his herd behind while wandering off with the rest. In spite of the earlier LBT 10 claim that "all longnecks" were going to that crater (obviously untrue with the absence of Doc and Ali's herd) Bron said that he couldn't wait to introduce Littlefoot to the rest of his herd back home; so apparently he must have left some of them behind.

Drake

• Ducky
    • View Profile
He can't be hurt because he got bit by a sharptooth and was seemingly unaffected.

I'm sure that that was just an oversight by the animators...

I don't know about that. I suspect that perhaps the animators didn't draw a wound because it would have been too gruesome for the little kiddies.