The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Music and the LBT franchise - Preferences?

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Uh...  02:50 - 03:40 of which song? If We Hold on Together or Sharptooth and the Earthshake or...?

Hypno

• GoF's resident deleted scenes nerd
  • Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • LBT wiki admin userpage
Uh...whoops!

The Rescue/Discovery Of The Great Valley.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

(I'm a runner-up for the Appreciated Member 2017 award.)

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Good spotting! Even if the difference is rather small, I wonder why Tavera wished to change the song a bit without really remaking it. Tavera's version seems a bit more simple than Horner's and somewhat slower as well? Anyway, I wonder what was behind these alterations.  :unsure:

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, maybe he made it different the first time because the theme was going to be used again, when the Allosaurus attacked the gang the second time. That second attack plays the James Horner version. Maybe he changed it because he didn't want the exact same theme to play twice? That might make sense.
I take it you checked the scene and listened to the music?

The Michael Tavera version also has no drums early on like in the Horner version. At least I'm pretty sure they're drums. They go really fast in the Horner version.
Growing up I was a big LBT fan and had seen all movies and TV series episodes. On the forum, I was formerly known as Hypnobrai until Nov 11, 2017.

In recent years, I have gained an interest in the production of The Land Before Time, particularly the deleted scenes of the original film. New discoveries have been made in the last few years and continue to be made, so I feel that it is a good time to contribute.

I have always loved sharpteeth more than any other creatures in the franchise, especially the fourteenth film's Carnotaurus, the fifth film's Sharptooth, and especially the original Sharptooth.

I am a former administrator of the LBT wiki, having been active from 2017 to 2019.

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Yeah, I did check it. Even then, why would the same "sharptooth" theme be used twice in the same film? Apparently something interesting went on in the music department.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I'll tell you how I noticed the difference. I had started listening to that part of The Rescue/Discovery of the Great Valley the same day I had to check LBT 6 to see if Petrie had called the Allosaurus a female, like it said on the article for the sharptooth on the wiki. I checked the first attack first, and I noticed a difference. So I started looking over it and listening, and now I can remember the difference.

Maybe they didn't have the time to compose new music? I don't know how long that takes.

Maybe we should make a topic for Michael Tavera versions and lost tracks together. We tend to get into those discussions, you and me :lol

Sneak

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
heh, speaking of this: I always wonder why Sharptooth's attack theme in original first film and in OST are different. And I don't mean cut parts. I mean, they sound quite different in some parts...

Sovereign

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
Spotting these kinds of things is really interesting and, to be honest, I would have never found out the difference in the music. We could certainly discuss the Tavera tracks in more detail but I'm not sure what you mean by lost tracks? Perhaps the parts of the original soundtrack which weren't used in the film? And I've noticed it too that we often appear to be on the same threads. ;)

As for your, theory about the lack of time to make new music , Tavera had already made hew sharptooth music, why not use them instead of the same song twice?

And, Snik, I've noticed that several soundtracks sound different in the film than on the soundtrack. For example, the Southampton track in Horner's Titanic score sounds real different in the film than in the sold soundtrack. However, I'd like to know why.

Hypno

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
I can't see why he didn't use the LBT 3 and 5 sharptooth encounter theme. It seems LBT 6 has a LOT of James Horner music reused.
Sharptooth And The Earthquake is also used in the sharptooth encounters at the end of the movie.

There actually was Sharptooth music reused; the Swimming Sharptooth theme when the Allosaurus is on the log.
There was also a new short bit made for the movie; when the Allosaurus appears for the first time, following the twins.