The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

War Of The Worlds

Megatoph

• Petrie
    • View Profile
    • http://s8.invisionfree.com/AvP2000
any one here seen the new War Of The Worlds? its awsome! the Tripods looked great! and the action was awsome!

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I've seen it, once, but I walked out of the theater about 3/4 through it, and I don't plan on rewatching it. I much prefer the original because its much closer to the book in spirit, rather than a typical Hollywood rollercoaster.

Ten bucks says I get chewed out for saying this as well.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Malte279

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ineinemlandvorunsererzeit.de.vu
I found the Spielberg version of "War of the Worlds" too much stressed the horror elements (too much nasty stuff) and thereby neglected the book. While I wouldn't ever leave a cinema once I have paid to watch a movie (you got to pay a lot over here) I pretty much share your opinion on this movie WR.

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
My English class in junior high (grade 8 or 9, I believe) read the radio show script to the original War of the Worlds as a study, along with listening to a tape recording of the radio show.  I feel lucky to have had this experience, as it demonstrates how the story was percieved in its day.  It was very well done too, I may add. :yes

I never saw any films based on it though.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
I normally don't walk out of cinemas, either, but I just couldn't take the blatant book butchery anymore. Oh, what happened to you, Spielberg?!  :cry
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf