The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Questions about the Nintendo Wii

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
I know August is a bit early to ask a question like this, but I just want to know for sure:

It sounds like I may be receiving a Nintendo Wii for Christmas, and my parents also seem interested in this particular console, but both me and them are unsure of just two things:

A. Can a Wii play CDs, and

B. Can a Wii play regular DVDs or Blu-Rays?

An answer would be appreciated, because I wasn't exactly sure based off what the Wii wikipedia page said.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Wii is strictly a gaming console, period!  You can't play CDs and you can't play DVDs or Blu-ray Movies.  Nintendo is one company that sticks to it's roots as a gaming company.  They don't give extra features.  You might be able to if there was a peripheral of some sort, but since there isn't, you can forget it.

If you're looking for a gaming console that plays Blu-ray movies, go with the PlayStation 3.  It's the only one that CAN do that sort of thing.

Hope that helps. :)

action9000

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Pokeplayer is right.  The Wii is not a media player at all.

I should warn though, that as a blu-ray player, the PS3 has nice, faaaast loading times compared to a standalone blu-ray player, however the fan inside the PS3 is known for getting rather loud during movie playback, especially on the 80GB models.  An 80GB PS3 is not an ideal movie playback device in a small room, unfortunately, for this reason. Trust me, I have one. :p

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Actually, I don't own blu-rays, so that part of the question was pointless actually  :DD

I still have a PS2 and a DVD player and my computer, so I still have places to play them.

I'm mainly interested in the Wii cause IMO it has the best games.

brekclub85

• Member+
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Just wanted to say thanks for clearing those things up for me action and pokeplayer.