The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
After the fact that you're hooked up to the internet, its only natural to surf, but seriously, that's why they added the internet hook-up. Instead of porting old games over to the new system or make hook-ups to play the old games on the new system, they had them downloaded onto a site where you can link to.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Okay WR, since you seem to know so much about gaming, name the one game that is arguably said to be THE game that caused the crash of 1983. ;)

Anyways, yeah, I think the PS3 is dead already.  I was going to buy it for my birthday, but things just aren't looking good anymore and I don't want to be a part of this sucky system. -_-

I'm using the $600 to buy a new 360 Elite and some games for when my brother-in-law moves out and takes the 360 we currently have with him. :)

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Aug 10 2007 on  06:02 PM
Okay WR, since you seem to know so much about gaming, name the one game that is arguably said to be THE game that caused the crash of 1983. ;)

Anyways, yeah, I think the PS3 is dead already.  I was going to buy it for my birthday, but things just aren't looking good anymore and I don't want to be a part of this sucky system. -_-

I'm using the $600 to buy a new 360 Elite and some games for when my brother-in-law moves out and takes the 360 we currently have with him. :)
Well,

At the first, I agrre with you all, that the PS3 is very expensive now.
I¥ll wait til the PS3 don¥t cost the much any longer. -_-

Nimrod

• Member+
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.landbeforetimefreak.npage.de
Quote from: pokeplayer984,Aug 10 2007 on  06:02 PM

As the second, yes pokerplayer, if you don¥t want to have the PS3 anyway, it will be the correct, I think to buy hisself sth. other. ;)

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://raptoid.deviantart.com/
Okay WR, since you seem to know so much about gaming, name the one game that is arguably said to be THE game that caused the crash of 1983. wink.gif

Duh.  EVERYBODY know what caused the crash of 1983...  <_<  I personally hate the PS3.  If I wanted a big, shiney, media-center-computer-wannabe that stamps label "I have small privates," onto my forehead I would buy it.  But no.  I'm looking for a GAMING CONSOLE!  GAMES AND NOTHING MORE!  Not all this extra blu ray and cell processor crap.  Give the cell processor to the computers and blu ray to the movie business.  Because all I want is to play games!

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
Quote from: Cyberlizard,Aug 14 2007 on  06:26 PM
Duh.  EVERYBODY know what caused the crash of 1983...
Not everybody. I don't know what game caused the crash.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Aug 14 2007 on  06:17 PM
Was it some whack E.T. game?
Okay, seeing as how WR is avoiding this place, the game that is said to be THE game that caused the crash of 1983, was infact E.T. for the Atari.

How did it happen because of this game?  Well, it goes to show that taking your time was just as important back then as it is now.  It was created in only 5 weeks.  It got even worse with the fact of how many copies of the game were made for launch.  400 million!  It was said to be the greatest game ever before it came out.  However, it became the exact opposite.  As a result, despite every single one of them being bought, nearly all were returned.  Less than 100 were kept, mainly because some people don't know what to do with a crappy game or are too lazy to do anything about it.  The bottom line is that because of E.T., the gaming indistury went into great debt and for 3 years, it seemed impossible to recover from it and that gaming was lost forever.

Super Mario Bros. and The Legend of Zelda are the games responsible for bringing gaming back to life.  If it weren't for them, we wouldn't even have video games today. :)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Duh. EVERYBODY know what caused the crash of 1983...  I personally hate the PS3. If I wanted a big, shiney, media-center-computer-wannabe that stamps label "I have small privates," onto my forehead I would buy it. But no. I'm looking for a GAMING CONSOLE! GAMES AND NOTHING MORE! Not all this extra blu ray and cell processor crap. Give the cell processor to the computers and blu ray to the movie business. Because all I want is to play games!
Beautifully said!

It was created in only 5 weeks. It got even worse with the fact of how many copies of the game were made for launch. 400 million! It was said to be the greatest game ever before it came out. However, it became the exact opposite. As a result, despite every single one of them being bought, nearly all were returned.
The game was incomplete as well and just ended up play a game of pong or something.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Okay, seeing as how WR is avoiding this place, the game that is said to be THE game that caused the crash of 1983, was infact E.T. for the Atari.
Actually, I'm not.

By the way, I didn't know what game caused the gaming depression of '83, but who cares, that doesn't make me a novice when concerning gaming knowledge overall.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
THE game that caused the crash of 1983, was infact E.T. for the Atari.

That is in fact correct.  And after they were returned ALL 400 MILLION COPIES were dumped in a giant landfill in New Mexico and have been buried there ever since.  :p  True story.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Cyberlizard,Aug 15 2007 on  10:57 AM
THE game that caused the crash of 1983, was infact E.T. for the Atari.

That is in fact correct.  And after they were returned ALL 400 MILLION COPIES were dumped in a giant landfill in New Mexico and have been buried there ever since.  :p  True story.
Not quite ALL.  I know a few people who still own a copy, just to let it either collect dust or end up getting completely obliterated in the most imaginative way possible. :^.^:

Cyberlizard

• Ducky
    • View Profile
Well, yeah.  I actually meant to say all of the copies that were returned.  ^^;;;

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
<refering back to topic>

Everyone knows that the PS3 was a flop on it's release. However, given that fact, I must admit, I for one will probably end up with one at some stage but this will purely be on the basis of the games available and nothing else. The Blu-ray facility doesn't interest me nor does the mass of compatible technologies that can link to it. It's always been the games that draw me to a particular console. Games such as MGS4, Resi 5, DMC4, Final Fantasy 13 and various others. I know that many of these games are gonna run across the format board but I guess, because I had a PS2, I'm sticking to the devil I know. Graphical processing power and pixel clarity isn't really something I look for in a game, it's all about the gameplay for me. I'll eventually wind up with a PS3 in the near future but I'm not desperate for it. I can sit and wait for the range of games I want to hit the shelves before I'll consider grabbing one myself

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Well, what I saw today probably shows just how much trouble the PS3 is in.  I was watching America's most popular game show, The Price is Right, and when they got to the second showcase, the first prize was... a PS3 with some of the worst games it has brought out. (Yes, even Sonic the Hedgehog Next Gen., which PSM gave a 2.0 rating.)

If you ask me, giving it away on a game show like this only proves how desperate Sony is at this point.

Has the PS3 lost just within it's first year?  If so, I'm not surprised. -_-

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
You'd think that Sony would learn their lesson, but they didn't.

So, they started out with a 20GB PS3 for $499, and a 60GB PS3 for $599. They discontinued the 20 GB one, probably due to low sales, then dropped the price for the 60GB one to $499, as a clearance sale, because I hear the 60GB ones aren't to be produced anymore. THEN, they went around, made a $399 40GB PS3 and a $499 80GB PS3. They didn't learn.... You can find most of this stuff out by poking around http://www.us.playstation.com/.