The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Littlefoot1616

• The Circle
  • Cera
  • The game is on; so let's play!
    • View Profile
All things PS3 are up for discussion here...enjoy!  ;)

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
well i guess i'll break the ice here. First of all, does any one have a PS3? At the moment i don't think that the PS3 doesn't have a big enough library of good games and with the huge price tag, i'm not even interested in getting one.

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
Posted on Aug 9 2007, 03:37 PM
  well i guess i'll break the ice here. First of all, does any one have a PS3? At the moment i don't think that the PS3 doesn't have a big enough library of good games and with the huge price tag, i'm not even interested in getting one. 

This is ture, a friend of mine has all three next gen. consoles, and virtually nothing for the PS3....

Flathead770

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
Theres some good games: Resistance fall of man is supposed to be a pretty good FPS, I played the demo for Motor Storm and seemed like it could be fun game and Ninja Gaiden Enigma might be good but i dunno if its out yet. Those area all the games i could come up with.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Blah. As far as I'm concerned, the PS3 is anunnecessary waste of money. I'm not remotely impressed or interested with it. It costs too much for the overhyped over-glorified piece of machinary that it is, Sony is having FFVII remade in a feeble attempt to get more sales (which tells you just how badly its bombing), and the console, itself, forgets what it is: a console. You play games on it. It'd be nice to have all that memory room dedicated to games only, but no...a lot of those files are just about everything else, which I already own, and thus, giving me no reason to buy the PS3. Besides, the "Kingdom Hearts" games are thea mong the few things I've ever liked about the system. My ten cents received. Flame and bash as you will.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://bluedramon.deviantart.com
I do want the PS3, but I'll wait until it gets cheaper, and when I have enough money.

Heh. I've met someone who deems the PS3 as superior to the Wii just because the PS3 has more power. It might have the power, but it's hardly affordable at this time. And I've begun to question the need of the blue-ray player. The blue-ray isn't even standard. Was it really necessary to equip the PS3 with one and make it almost twice as much as the Wii?

I'm not trying to provoke anyone here, so sorry if I offended anyone. As I said, I would like a PS3, but getting one now is out of the question.

pokeplayer984

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I have seen the results of the PS3, and I am sorely disappointed.  The $600 price tag just isn't worth it.  The Cell that powers the PS3 is an arcriticuial disaster.  The games that are exclusive to multiple consoles take much longer to load on the PS3.  Plus the games aren't looking all that promising.

Sony knows that their hard core fans won't really know when something is just a collosual waste of money.

They stopped selling the 20 GB version when they went out of stock, and they only made a price drop on the 60 GB version to endorse sales and have anyone else buy the 80 GB version for what the 60 GB version used to be.

The only real point I see to the Blu-ray is for putting on just about as much as you want into a single disc.  50 GB on one disk is definately a lot of space.  I could actually see that being used for one season worth of a TV Series, or a really popular, very long movie that is packed with many hours worth of bonus material.  Aside from that, I think it's useless.

The thing is, people will eventually get smart and not buy this piece of junk.  If you ask me, Sony has already lost the war before it even began. :)

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I don't really think the PS3 is a "piece of junk". It's just ridiculously expensive.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
Feh! Having "more power" doesn't make a system better. How much fun you have playing the games on it and using the controls it comes with without having to worry about it over-heating is what makes a console great. With the Wii, I have absolutely no worries and a total blast, because I'm actually playing games (classic games when I download them). The only reason the PS3 has more power is because they had to make it that way because of all the other junk they added onto it that people already own. The Wii doesn't have a much power because it doesn't need it. Its a gaming console. The people making it actually remembered that, instead of strapping a bunch of irrelevant garbage onto it. And anything they do add to the Wii is gaming based. That person you mentioned who thinks the PS3 is better obviously has no bearing on what he's talking about.

I already a VCR, a DVD-Player, a VCR-DVD-Player Hybrid, a TV, tradition computer, a laptop, an at-home CD player, and a portible CD player. I have no need for any of that other shit that Sony hacked into the PS3, and their line-up of games from now to everything that's been announced in the future sucks. Whereas I can't get my hands on Wii games fast enough.

Oh yeah, Sony will finally be edged out of the gaming business and you'll only have X-Box and Nintendo to buy from. What you hate about Nintendo so much, Dark, I will never know.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
I got a ps3 for my birthday and I've never used it.  I wouldn't know what to do with it. :blink:  It's still in the box.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Aug 10 2007 on  03:57 AM
Feh! Having "more power" doesn't make a system better. How much fun you have playing the games on it and using the controls it comes with without having to worry about it over-heating is what makes a console great. With the Wii, I have absolutely no worries and a total blast, because I'm actually playing games (classic games when I download them). The only reason the PS3 has more power is because they had to make it that way because of all the other junk they added onto it that people already own. The Wii doesn't have a much power because it doesn't need it. Its a gaming console. The people making it actually remembered that, instead of strapping a bunch of irrelevant garbage onto it. And anything they do add to the Wii is gaming based. That person you mentioned who thinks the PS3 is better obviously has no bearing on what he's talking about.

Oh yeah, Sony will finally be edged out of the gaming business and you'll only have X-Box and Nintendo to buy from. What you hate about Nintendo so much, Dark, I will never know.
I've found myself defending the Nintendo Wii when this guy started to criticize it just because it's "underpowered". Apparently to him, it's all about the power, not considering the other qualities. I may not like the Wii too much, but I certainly wouldn't underestimate what it's truly capable of. PS3 might have the power, but power alone isn't enough. I just wish he'd acknowledge that.

I'm not entirely sure if Sony will completely drop out of making game consoles. Ah well, we'll find out sooner or later.

And I apologize if I gave the impression earlier that I hate Nintendo. I can't really say I hate it. I just haven't found many games that I really enjoy on it. Super Mario Brothers, Super Mario World, and Metroid Prime are a few Nintendo games I've enjoyed playing.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Aug 10 2007 on  02:57 AM
And anything they do add to the Wii is gaming based.
I don't own a Wii, but I hear that there are a lot of internet features on it that have absolutely nothing to do with gaming at all.

This is also starting to sound like a heated "console war" debate where flames could break out. I think Littlefoot1616 said something about this. You especially know someone's not exactly happy when they use sh*t like that.

Sky

• Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://hakunaro.deviantart.com
I don't own a PS3 and i'm not planing to buy one.
It's not a "piece of junk" either.
It's just ridiculously expensive.

I could buy a new computer with it with some other things instead.  :blink:
Nintendo is the only one who knows what we want: A "Gaming Console".
And not a Multimedia-Center.  :unsure:

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Wait, they're doing a 80 GB version? Hasn't Sonly learned their lesson already?

EDIT: LOL at the spelling mistake! :lol

The Great Valley Guardian

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.supersonicboom182.deviantart.com
I too believe it is way over-priced...I mean is anyone except the hard core Sony gamers really willing and able to burn $600 dollars on a system with so few games? it just dosne't make sense to me...

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: Manny Cav,Aug 10 2007 on  09:55 AM
This is also starting to sound like a heated "console war" debate where flames could break out. I think Littlefoot1616 said something about this. You especially know someone's not exactly happy when they use sh*t like that.
I hope this topic doesn't turn into a heated console debate.

Threehorn

• The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/Digi_Earth
For me the PS3 is a complete waste of money. I am not even going to try and get it I am very happy with my Wii, DS and Xbox 360.

I believe that the PS3 isn't worth the money they selling it for and what I know of it cost a lot more to make then they are selling as well. I think Sony finally hit the crunch and lost the fight against Microsoft and Nintendo. That what i believe though.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
I don't own a Wii, but I hear that there are a lot of internet features on it that have absolutely nothing to do with gaming at all.
Actually, the internet hook-up is to download older games they have on their website.

Aright, fair enough, Dark. Just remember that without Nintendo,we wouldn't have video games, period, anymore.

DarkHououmon

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Aug 10 2007 on  02:37 PM
Aright, fair enough, Dark. Just remember that without Nintendo,we wouldn't have video games, period, anymore.
Ah yes, I heard about that video game crash in the..80s was it? And how Nintendo saved the video gaming industry by introducng Super Mario Brothers, which I believe was the first game of its kind, with levels and wasn't geared towards just getting high scores. I didn't know about that until recently. I was too young when this was going on.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Quote from: WeirdRaptor,Aug 10 2007 on  01:37 PM
Actually, the internet hook-up is to download older games they have on their website.
...and to get weather, news, and surf the web in general....

As for a PS3, I would actually want one, since my PlayStation original isn't in top condition any longer. The graphics are really glitchy and mess up on me a lot. However, I seriously doubt I could use all of it's fancy features to justify the $500 price on it. I was actually looking into a PS2 as a good alternative.