The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

The Star Wars Holiday Special

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
Maybe some folks were drunk when they wrote it or something, and made it.

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
That's a common explanation (that and drugs) for when stuff like this gets released, like that odd "Lions Sleep Tonight" thing that goes "a-whee-ma-wha."

F-14 Ace

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
George Lucas wanted nothing to do with the "project".  Frankly I have no igea why he allowed the guys to make it.  This, the Ewok movies, the Ewok cartoons, and Jar Jar Binks are a slap in the face to Star Wars fans everywhere.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
He didn't allow it. That was back in the day before he had any real control that wasn't granted to him by 20th Century Fox. It was only later that he became a serious presence enough to "own" Star Wars.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

Kor

• The Circle
  • The Gang of Five
    • View Profile
It sounds like that.  I would guess he gained control somewhere around episode 5, or 6.

WeirdRaptor

• Cera
    • View Profile
    • Knowhere: A Geek Culture Fan Forum
Yeah, I think that 20th Century Fox realized he was the reason the original was such a hit and let him buy all the rights to Star Wars properties to do with them as he wishes, or least that's what I can figure happened. It was 20th Century Fox that owned SW before Lucas did. through Star Wars Lacus was able to start his own filmmaking business and capitalized big time as a producer over the years. Too bad his actual writing and directing skills (meager as they were to begin with) wasted away doing that, though.

I know those last remarks sound like insult, but they're not. I'm just saying that Lucas made a good, fun movie called "Star Wars" where the only thing that really stood out were the technical aspects of the project. His directing skills weren't fancy, but they served their purpose. The same goes for his writing. The wise words from Oi-Wan just sounded great because of the actor who delivered them.
"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you." -Gandalf

lbt/cty_lover

• Member+
  • Cera
    • View Profile
I have a copy of it. It is so bad, it is funny.

I need to find my copy. Maybe George Lucas abducted it.

AvestheForumFox

• The Circle
  • Ducky
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bullockarts.net
Well.. today's the day

Mike Nelson and the cast of MST3K will be ripping this crudbucket a new one!

www.rifftrax.com

if you have three dollars to spare later today, check by that site, buy the commentary and play it alongside of that video clip I supplied with this thread. it should be a hoot!

Manny Cav

• Cera
    • View Profile
Pay for an audio clip commentray to download? I'll pass.