The Land Before Time > General Land Before Time

Screen Time Experiment - Land Before Time characters

(1/19) > >>

DiddyKF1:
Hey, everyone.  After such a disastrous 2022, I knew I had to do something to bring a productive start to 2023 with the Stone of Cold Fire VO project still pretty much in a state of limbo.  I recently watched a video by MovieFlame showing how much screen time each Harry Potter character got in the films versus how many times they were mentioned in the books, and this inspired me to start my own screen time experiment, only here I'll be giving it a shot with Land Before Time characters!

We all know how the original Gang of Five tend to be ranked (Littlefoot, of course, being their fearless leader, followed by Cera, then Ducky, Petrie, and finally Spike), but this had me wondering, how relevant is each character, and does their screen time match up with how they are generally ranked?  This would especially be questionable for at least a few of the sequels since Cera, whom is considered the #2 member of the Gang, has never been the central focus of ANY of the 14 films, and we have at least one film focused on Ducky and Spike, and two films focused on Petrie.

The way I'm going to be doing this is that I am going to add up every single frame which a particular character is on screen and see how much it adds up on the editing system (that being Vegas Pro). I will then rank each character based on how much screen time they got.  I am likely going to split this project into 15 separate parts, in which I focus on each of the 14 films, and then wrap it all up by adding up all the films together and rank each character based on their total screen time throughout the entire film series.

There are a few certain criteria I'll be using here.  Unnamed background dinosaurs who have no dialogue will NOT count (unless it's a character who becomes notable in a later movie, such as most of the Gang's families in the first movie who become major supporting characters later in the series).  Certain sequel Sharpteeth may count if they come into conflict with the main cast of children on one or more notable occasions.

I'm honestly curious to see what results I get, and I'm sure there might be a few surprises here and there.  I can't wait to share whatever surprises I end up finding!  :)petrie

I'll follow this up with a post later this week with the results I get for character screen time for the original movie!  I seriously doubt the first movie will have any wild, shocking surprises, but you never know.

Anyways, have a nice day, and I'll see you later!  :)petrie

Rattymon:
Sounds like a lot of work! Good luck!  :littlefoot:)

Sneak:
This project sounds really fun! :D
I would like to see it!

(I have to say, if you meant Stone of Cold Fire as one of films focused on Petrie, then there's at least one film focused on Cera: Invasion of Tinysaures. In both movies they share spotlight with one popular longneck, but still)

The Chronicler:
That sure sounds like an interesting project. I look forward to seeing the results.

If it's not too soon to ask, would you consider also doing all 26 episodes of the TV series? I'm just as curious about the characters screen time there as I am with the movies (especially since there's one episode where Cera, Spike, and Ruby make no appearances at all, so it does make me wonder if being completely absent from just one episode has any significant impact on such a statistic).

DiddyKF1:

--- Quote from: The Chronicler on January 16, 2023, 07:36:16 PM ---That sure sounds like an interesting project. I look forward to seeing the results.

If it's not too soon to ask, would you consider also doing all 26 episodes of the TV series? I'm just as curious about the characters screen time there as I am with the movies (especially since there's one episode where Cera, Spike, and Ruby make no appearances at all, so it does make me wonder if being completely absent from just one episode has any significant impact on such a statistic).

--- End quote ---

Just to be clear, I have no intention of including the TV series in this project.  I honestly feel it would throw the whole thing off, especially when it comes to the overall rankings at the end of the project.  This will focus ONLY on the 14 films.  I might try out the TV series in a separate future project someday.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version