The Gang of Five
The forum will have some maintenance done in the next couple of months. We have also made a decision concerning AI art in the art section.

Please see this post for more details.

Switching Out The LBT Server

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thelandbeforetime.org
Well I've decided to switch out the LBT Server computer with something better.  The current LBT Server computer looks like this and has the following specs:

*Intel Dual Core 1.6ghz Processor
*2gb DDR2 5300 Ram
*320gb SATAII Hard Disk
*Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
*DVD-RW DL With Lightscribe
*24-in-1 Integrated Card Reader

The new server looks like this and has the following specs:

*AMD Athlon 64 LIVE! x2 4600+ 2.4ghz Processor
*4gb DDR2 5300 Ram
*320gb SATAII Hard Disk
*Windows Vista Home Premium SP2
*Sapphire Radeon 512mb Graphics Card With DVI & VGA (Scores a 4.1 in Vista experience index)
*DVD-RW DL With Lightscribe
*24-in-1 Integrated Card Reader

The only thing that's increased is the processor speed and ram, but that'll make a huge difference in performance.  Now I just got this new server computer for FREE so I have to take it on a few test spins before I go throwing it out into the field.  Remember the last time I did that with the Alienware?  NOT something I'd like to repeat thank you very much!

The woman told me she took the sucker to Geek Squad.  Coincidentally, now the onboard graphics isn't working.  The resolution on the sucker is like 20px by 20px.  Not even kidding.  I'm guessing the idiot on the Geek Squad didn't ground himself properly and touched the graphics controller on the motherboard.  I wouldn't normally waste such a good graphics card on a server, but I have no choice.  It's the only one I had lying around.

But because the graphics is practically blown I'm a bit nervous to throw it out there in the field.  Who knows that else could be wrong with it?  It runs fine as far as I can tell, but I should try to play a higher end game on it and see if it crashes or anything.  I just wish I had a higher end game. :p  The newest game I own would probably be Flight Simulator 1999. :lol

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
I've decided to move ahead of schedule and do the switch tomorrow.  The actual downtime of the server should be less than 2 hours, but I must say this:

ALL FILES UPLOADED WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS WILL NOT BE SAVED!!!

I'm doing the backup tonight so anything new that's uploaded within the next 24 hours won't be transferred over to the new server computer.  I've also put this notice on the home page of the server, but it's very important that people know this.  I don't want people to upload new files then delete them from their computers only to have them wiped out from the server they just used to back them up on.

I got a little boost in proficiency tonight and I'm hoping it'll last through tomorrow.  Geeze if I keep this up I'll have no work to do (besides selling computers and tending to new clients) for a week! :lol

landbeforetimelover

• Member+
  • Littlefoot
  • Littlefoot
    • View Profile
The switch-out has just occurred.  If you uploaded files in the past 24 hours despite my warning, your files have been lost.  If you've lost your files, please contact me within the next 48 hours.  Past that time there will be no way to recover your files as I will have wiped out the LBT Server computer and all files it contained.

Email:  Sapphirescales@comcast.net